Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Regarding BIOS upgrade.

Tralfaz is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Regarding BIOS upgrade.

Looking at the description of the 2.0 BIOS. You probably should update to it. Looks like ASRock are changing their internet flash server. That would be an update that would pertain to all users. Especially when they shut down their existing flash servers.

Parsec, sorry, what I meant was, some BIOS revisions are not applicable to all users. Take version 1.9 (for the pro4-M) it just adds auto-detect for TMP. If you don't use TMP it's superfluous. That's just Microsoft getting ready for next year's Windows 8.1 hardware certification. If you had BIOS version 1.8. (or older) and didn't want, or use TMP, there would be no need to upgrade/sidestep to 1.9. It is a given, that if you were to update to 2.0, you'd have all the revisions which came prior, including TMP auto-detect.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Version 2.00 is the latest for the Z77 Pro4-M.

Your current BIOS version doesn't matter, you can update to 2.00 from any version. All updates from previous versions are included in the latest version.

You can see the model of your board in the main BIOS screen. You can also use CPU-Z, the Mother Board tab will display that information, which is how wardog discovered why the OP's BIOS update wouldn't work.

On my Original post, i used CPU-Z to determine what BIOS i had(picture included), and it said z77 pro4-m, so i'll be using Wardog's link to update once i get home.
    i hope this fixes all my problems >_<

I just need to check that i do have Micro-ATX Z77 Pro4-M. Which i'm currently unsure, but when i'm home, i'll follow the steps Tralfaz told me to find out if i do have a Micro-ATX.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post
    Looking at the description of the 2.0 BIOS. You probably should update to it. Looks like ASRock are changing their internet flash server. That would be an update that would pertain to all users. Especially when they shut down their existing flash servers.

Parsec, sorry, what I meant was, some BIOS revisions are not applicable to all users. Take version 1.9 (for the pro4-M) it just adds auto-detect for TMP. If you don't use TMP it's superfluous. That's just Microsoft getting ready for next year's Windows 8.1 hardware certification. If you had BIOS version 1.8. (or older) and didn't want, or use TMP, there would be no need to upgrade/sidestep to 1.9. It is a given, that if you were to update to 2.0, you'd have all the revisions which came prior, including TMP auto-detect.
    I understand, no problem at all.

Note that the BIOS update for the Internet Flash servers is over a year old now (7/23/2013), so the old server link in the previous BIOS versions will likely not work now. That update was done for most if not all older ASRock boards last year.

I must say that EDOT's problem with the video driver is very unlikely to be fixed by the BIOS update, as you said yourself earlier. Of course we don't know what BIOS version he is using now, so an unlisted update might help but I'm skeptical of that. I would suggest using an earlier driver, whatever version that worked well in the past. Nvidia has driver updates that I could not even use they were so crazy for some reason, for example

UPDATE

I updated using Wardog's Link, and MY CPU-Z says:

so the Version is p2.00.

i'll update Tomorrow to tell you guys if my drivers or whatever have stopped crashing.

if they haven't theN :(

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I understand, no problem at all.

Note that the BIOS update for the Internet Flash servers is over a year old now (7/23/2013), so the old server link in the previous BIOS versions will likely not work now. That update was done for most if not all older ASRock boards last year.

I must say that EDOT's problem with the video driver is very unlikely to be fixed by the BIOS update, as you said yourself earlier. Of course we don't know what BIOS version he is using now, so an unlisted update might help but I'm skeptical of that. I would suggest using an earlier driver, whatever version that worked well in the past. Nvidia has driver updates that I could not even use they were so crazy for some reason, for example
    you were correct, it has not fixed my problem :(
    but no harm done in updating my BIOS is there..?
    (refer to post above about the information)

Acheage ( the game that is constantly blackscreening) is in Beta, so i guess i'll just wait until it comes out and maybe they'll fix it on there end

EDOT, there is nothing wrong with flashing your BIOS, as long as, you don't brick your motherboard. Manufacturers have come a long way, in making BIOS flashes as painless, as possible. ASRock's Instant Flash being one of the best.

Does the new BIOS work well with everything, except Acheage? If not, as Parsec said, revert to an older BIOS.

As for driver updates, both ATI and NVIDIA are notorious for releasing buggy updates. I've learned, not to update until those bugs are ironed out.

When you do update your ATI drivers some things to remember; Download the new drivers first. Make sure there are no programs running, in the background, including firewall and antivirus (msconfig is a good way to turn everything off, via the Startup Tab). Uninstall all the old ATI drivers. Check for anything left over and manually remove (there are usually a few ATI folders left over). Then, and only then, install all the new drivers. If you need more details, just ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post
    EDOT, there is nothing wrong with flashing your BIOS, as long as, you don't brick your motherboard. Manufacturers have come a long way, in making BIOS flashes as painless, as possible. ASRock's Instant Flash being one of the best.

Does the new BIOS work well with everything, except Acheage? If not, as Parsec said, revert to an older BIOS.

As for driver updates, both ATI and NVIDIA are notorious for releasing buggy updates. I've learned, not to update until those bugs are ironed out.

When you do update your ATI drivers some things to remember; Download the new drivers first. Make sure there are no programs running, in the background, including firewall and antivirus (msconfig is a good way to turn everything off, via the Startup Tab). Uninstall all the old ATI drivers. Check for anything left over and manually remove (there are usually a few ATI folders left over). Then, and only then, install all the new drivers. If you need more details, just ask.

i have an AMD Radeon hd 7700 Series.

and i just checked, and it tells me it's up too date.

i browsed the AMD website and can't find a download link for the older revision, should i be looking somewhere else?

Hi Edot, the HD 7700 has been "put out to pasture" so to speak. It isn't actively supported anymore and uses legacy drivers (drivers which have been optimized to their maximum potential). I'd say the original driver installation was corrupt. Uninstall the drivers and reinstall them. The best way is to follow the instructions on the AMD site.

How-To Uninstall AMD Catalyst Drivers From A Windows Based System
    How-To Install AMD Catalyst

Pay special attention to step 1 of Install AMD Catalyst. Make sure there are no programs running, firewall and antivirus included (this may have been how the problem started). Msconfig is a good way to make sure everything is off. Simply, run msconfig, go to the Startup tab (remember what is checked to make it easier when you finish the installation to recheck everything) "disable all", apply and exit. You'll be prompted to restart your machine. When it restarts check the "Don't show this message again" box. You can open Task Manager to make sure nothing is running then move on to step 2 and complete the Catalyst installation. Reboot to finalize the installation then run msconfig again. This time, undoing what you did the first time, check mark the programs you want to run at startup, apply, exit and reboot again. This should fix the original problem with atikmdag.sys module. As always, best of luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information