Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My mb won't make my 2 cpu fans spin

Tralfaz is offline Junior Member

Default Re: My mb won't make my 2 cpu fans spin

Do your Phanteks fans have 3-pin, or 4-pin connectors? They used to use 3-pin fans, but now use 4-pin PWM fans. When you said your fan spun at 100% I assumed you had the new 4-pin PWM fans and plugged it into the 3-pin header.

The ASRock Z77 Extreme6 has one 3-pin and one 4-pin CPU fan header.

It's the old 3 pins fans no, 1 fan connected to the 4 pin cpu header is always spinning at max rpm

parsec is offline Senior Member

gasolin, are the fans that come with your Phanteks PH-TC14PE three pin fans, or four pin PWM fans?

The fan control in the BIOS for ASRock Z77 boards is not very good, I have two Z77 Extreme 4's. The Target CPU temperature setting does very little or nothing to change the CPU fan speed, and Level 1 is not very low for many fans.

The problem is there are no standards for fan speeds at a certain voltage, or standard PWM fan speeds. Mother board manufactures only know their boards will be used with all kinds of different fans, and the main thing they are worried about is that all or 99% of fans will spin at the lowest (Level 1) speed settings. So they set the lowest level to a relatively high voltage, which is a compromise for fans like yours that don't need much voltage, and only run up to 1300 RPM. Some common CPU cooler fans run up to and over 2000 RPM and use high voltage too, so fans like yours don't have much of an adjustment range.

I can't remember if it is only the Z87 and not Z77 ASRock boards that added a Custom CPU fan speed option that allows a much wider range of adjustment. All I know is the Z77 boards have poor fan speed options, which IMO is ridiculous given what else we have now in the PC world. Other mother board manufactures are not much better, and from what I here, some are worse.

ASRock Extreme series boards won't go below 30% fan speed because that's under the nominal voltage (5 volts) for many fans. Once those fans drop below 5 volts, they just stop.
    Last edited by Tralfaz; 08-27-2014 at 01:51 AM. Reason: clarity

3 pin fans, this one is the new fans http://pc.zoznam.sk/sites/default/fi...s/sam_2137.jpg i have the old one with bigger fins on the blade like this http://www.overclex.net/wp-content/u...anteks_151.jpg my pwm fan adapter is white (sleeve) where most are black

Quote Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post
    ASRock Extreme series boards won't go below 30% fan speed because that's under the nominal voltage (5 volts) for many fans. Once those fans drop below 5 volts, they just stop.

I can't see how much voltage they get, but they can spin at 750 rpm and can spin at 20% Phanteks PH-TC14PE Review | techPowerUp as you can see 20% is 860 rpm but as i mentioned i have one on 750 rpm

My fan controller (NZXT Sentry 2) will only let fans spin down to 40%. Anything less and they cease to spin.

As to your problem; With 3-pin fans, using the y-splitter to a PWM 4-pin header will make the fans spin at 100% all the time, This is normal, since there is no fan control lead. To answer your original question; Yes. Having two 3-pin fans and a 4-pin PWM y-adapter won't allow the fans to be controlled and is probably splitting the power to a level that is too low to spin both fans up. This will eventually burn out your fans.

You could use a molex to 3-pin adapter for one of your fans to stop it from spinning at 100% all the time. Use the 3-pin CPU header for the other fan.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information