Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My mb won't make my 2 cpu fans spin

Default My mb won't make my 2 cpu fans spin

I have a Asrock Z77 extreme 6 mb an a Phanteks PH-TC14PE, when i connect one fan to each of the 2 cpu fan header 1 fans spins with max rpm all the time and using the y splitter i can't get the fans to spin (they work) is it really possible that a cpu fan header on my mb can't handle 2 fans?

Tralfaz is offline Junior Member

Default Re: My mb won't make my 2 cpu fans spin

The 4-pin connector is a Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) connector. The 4th pin allows the fan speed to lower. The problem is with how the splitter was made. Oddly enough, the splitter that comes with the Phanteks PH-TC14PE wasn't made properly, for the 4-pin fans it now uses. It was made to connect the old 3-pin fans to a single 3, or 4-pin headder. It's useless for the two 4-pin fans. As you found out.

Only one connector should have the 4-pin plug. The others should have 3-pin plugs. This is so the information is being sent from one fan only. If more than one PWM fan sends info to the motherboard, the signals get confused.

See the (middle) plug. Only 3-pins. Bit-tech had the same problem, "Oddly, the fan splitter cable in our retail package can only be used to connect two 3-pin fans to a single 3 or 4-pin header, making it useless for the pair of 4-pin fans that now ship with the cooler. While this could just be an error, it's certainly a strange oversight, but thankfully our test motherboards both have two CPU fan headers anyway."

My mb won't make my 2 cpu fans spin-pwm-splitter-png

Few min ago phantek send me an e mail where they wanted me to send them an copy of my invoice and they will sent me a new y splitter
    Last edited by gasolin; 08-27-2014 at 12:23 AM.

Ahh good.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post
    See the (middle) plug. Only 3-pins. Bit-tech had the same problem, "Oddly, the fan splitter cable in our retail package can only be used to connect two 3-pin fans to a single 3 or 4-pin header, making it useless for the pair of 4-pin fans that now ship with the cooler. While this could just be an error, it's certainly a strange oversight, but thankfully our test motherboards both have two CPU fan headers anyway."

My mb won't make my 2 cpu fans spin-pwm-splitter-png
    Hmmm...

Something is not right about the description that apparently came from Bit-Tech, quoted above.

The problem with any fan splitter cable, that allows multiple fans to be connected to one fan header, for three or four pin fans, is the RPM (speed) signal wires/pins. If more than one of the fan connector ends have an RPM wire/pin, then multiple RPM signals are combined at the mother board connector. That creates a mixed up RPM signal, even if all the fans connected are identical. That goes for four pin PWM controlled fans, or three pin fans.

The RPM/speed wire/pin in both three and four pin fans is wire/pin number 3.

The fix for this situation is to have only one fan send an RPM signal to the board. An example of a PWM fan splitter cable like this:

My mb won't make my 2 cpu fans spin-pwmsplittersmall-png

Note the missing RPM signal connection from pin 3 on the fan connector labeled Slave Fan.

The picture of the PWM fan splitter in the post I quoted shows the two fan connectors upside down, compared to the picture I included above. So imagine turning those two connectors 180 degrees to match the diagram I posted. They then match. IMO, the PWM fan splitter in the quoted picture is wired correctly, and matches a PWM fan splitter cable that I have.

The splitter in the quoted picture should work fine with both four pin PWM fans, and three pin fans, as long as the Master Fan is a PWM fan. I have no clue what Bit-Tech is talking about, but it is wrong.

gasolin's problem is the splitter cable in his Phanteks cooler is broken, or it was not connected to the four pin PWM CPU_FAN1 connector on his board. The second, CPU_FAN2 connector on his board is a three pin connector, standard for ASRock. It will work with four pin PWM fans, but I doubt two identical PWM fans connected to the two CPU fan headers will spin at the same speed.

Also, the CPU fan speed option setting in the BIOS will affect both of the fan's speeds. The setting should be set to Automatic or Custom. If it is set to Silent or Standard, one fan may not spin up. It sounds like it was set to Full On.

Hi parsec, the picture I showed is the proper splitter. That's why you were confused. Sorry. I put that pic up so he could compare it to the splitter he had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRFiAuRhZh8

At (3:35) it shows fans that have 3-pin connectors (not PWM). At (3:50) shows a 3-pin connector for the splitter. Phanteks have since started using 4-pin WPM fans, but some still ship with the old 3-pin splitter, for some reason, only Phanteks knows why. This is the problem Bit-tech encountered, as well.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Tralfaz, I get it now, no problem at all. You see why I was confused...

I bet Phantek's problem with the cables is common because of the way they are manufactured. A factory in China where many of the employees really don't understand exactly what they are assembling, or the prototype/model of the splitter cable used for reference was wrong. So they made who knows how many wrong ones, that were shipped out all over the world.

I doubt Phantek's has their own factory, just like Apple uses Foxconn to assemble most of their products. So no one there from Phanteks to constantly check the cables, which are assumed to be simple (they are), and problems like this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Hmmm...

Something is not right about the description that apparently came from Bit-Tech, quoted above.

The problem with any fan splitter cable, that allows multiple fans to be connected to one fan header, for three or four pin fans, is the RPM (speed) signal wires/pins. If more than one of the fan connector ends have an RPM wire/pin, then multiple RPM signals are combined at the mother board connector. That creates a mixed up RPM signal, even if all the fans connected are identical. That goes for four pin PWM controlled fans, or three pin fans.

The RPM/speed wire/pin in both three and four pin fans is wire/pin number 3.

The fix for this situation is to have only one fan send an RPM signal to the board. An example of a PWM fan splitter cable like this:

My mb won't make my 2 cpu fans spin-pwmsplittersmall-png

Note the missing RPM signal connection from pin 3 on the fan connector labeled Slave Fan.

The picture of the PWM fan splitter in the post I quoted shows the two fan connectors upside down, compared to the picture I included above. So imagine turning those two connectors 180 degrees to match the diagram I posted. They then match. IMO, the PWM fan splitter in the quoted picture is wired correctly, and matches a PWM fan splitter cable that I have.

The splitter in the quoted picture should work fine with both four pin PWM fans, and three pin fans, as long as the Master Fan is a PWM fan. I have no clue what Bit-Tech is talking about, but it is wrong.

gasolin's problem is the splitter cable in his Phanteks cooler is broken, or it was not connected to the four pin PWM CPU_FAN1 connector on his board. The second, CPU_FAN2 connector on his board is a three pin connector, standard for ASRock. It will work with four pin PWM fans, but I doubt two identical PWM fans connected to the two CPU fan headers will spin at the same speed.

Also, the CPU fan speed option setting in the BIOS will affect both of the fan's speeds. The setting should be set to Automatic or Custom. If it is set to Silent or Standard, one fan may not spin up. It sounds like it was set to Full On.
    I tried 1 fan with the 4 pin pwm fan adapter and the 4 pin cpu fan header, i had full speed all the time, no matter what i tried. No fan is set to full on, i tried at one point to set all to full on beause i thought the mb wasn't giving the fans enough juice,power, didn't fixed it.

I have set it to aut and 47 degress level 1 (as i mentioned i have tried full on), i have no standard or silent mode other then raising the temp limited and set fan level to 1

Mabye i should have had this Y splitter Phanteks 3-pin Y splitter instead of the with blue,yellow and red adapter http://www.legitreviews.com/images/r...tc14pe_020.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information