Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: A-tuning fan spin-up/spin-down time

Default A-tuning fan spin-up/spin-down time

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone knew any way to get fan spin-up/spin-down time either through a-tuning or some other software ? I currently just use a-tuning for testing and control the fans in uefi (got an ASRock H97 Pro4). My only problem is that, my fans seems to spin up too quickly if the temp momentarily rises above a threshold. Ideally, I would like the fan to spin-up slowly for e.g. 2 seconds towards the target speed. This way it would not spin up quickly and spin down again right after.

Thanks in advance :)

Default Re: A-tuning fan spin-up/spin-down time

I agree, a bit more slow-blow would be nice, at least as an option. The "attack"-times for the fixed fan profiles seem to be much lower, than for the custom fan modes. It is impossible to set the CPU fan to a temperature threshold to start off and stay on while gaming without constant turn-on-turn-offs. I've set a higher threshold (50 C), so it stays off all the time. I think these temperature ranges don't need extra cooling.

parsec is offline Senior Member

It sounds like Wramberg is using a Custom profile for the CPU cooler as you said, Hybrid Vigor. That setting can have abrupt changes in fan speed, as you both said.

Your fix of setting a higher temperature threshold works. Another method is having larger intervals between changes in speed, such as the initial level set to 30C, and the second at 50C, which is really the same as your method.

Another method would be to set the difference in fan speed between temperature levels to a lower value. For example, if the temperature steps were 30C to 40C, set the fan speed difference to just 10% or less, say from 30% to 40%, or 30% to 35%.

The behavior of a specific fan may be part of the issue too. That is, the fan's speed increase is not linear, and it happens to increase more coincidentally at a certain combination of Custom settings.

Actually what I think is happening is, the fan's noise level is what is bothering Wramberg, not simply the increase in speed. Again, a coincidental increase in the noise level with the Custom settings being used is probably what is bothering him.

Wramberg's description of a slower response time of fan speed to an increase in CPU temperature, is in general called a hysteresis. That means a delay or longer time interval between some action and a reaction to that action. I've seen a fan speed control program (SpeedFan?) that has a hysteresis setting, but that is not available in most fan speed control programs/BIOS settings.

The fan speed control on at least some of ASRock's Z77 boards can be slow to respond to CPU temperature changes. It takes about 10 seconds for it to increase significantly, and even longer to slow down once the CPU temperature decreased. I think some users complained about it, and that behavior was changed in the Z87 boards and beyond. Now it reacts to quickly in some cases, or at least for some user's tastes.

Hi guys,
    Yes, I am using a custom profile. My pc is fairly new and I build it specifically for silent everyday use and occasional gaming. All my case fans and cpu fan are pwm controlled to allow for low rpm operation. It is easy to adjust the fan speeds for silent everyday use, but it is difficult to have a fairly responsive fan profile for gaming without the fans speeding up from momentary temp. increase like e.g. opening a "heavy" program. I have found a pretty good balance which I am happy with by tweaking the step-size in temperature. The biggest problem with this approach is that my CPU temp does not always reflect the overall system load very well. Typically, my graphics cards is working a lot harder in games (obviously :p) so setting the fans to speed-up at 50 degrees does not work very well (since my cpu sits around 45 degrees in e.g. d3). As stated though, I have found a balance which I am happy with :-)

Since the fans are pwm controlled I don't think non-linearity is a problem. I checked out speedfan but hysteris would not really help me since the fans would still speed up while not needed. I noticed the Asus fan program has a fan spin up/down time so that's why I asked if maybe someone knew an alternative for asrock mobos :-)

Ultimately I can live without it but it would still be a nice feature in my opinion. Thank you for taking your time to discuss my question - I guess I just have to tweak the thresholds and temp. steps to perfect fan behavior :-)
    Last edited by Wramberg; 08-30-2014 at 05:29 AM.

As parsec said, it really depends on the fans themselves, as well. Finding the right setting for fans can be a *****, especially when they influence each other. The case and the given airflow has a role, too.
    I figured for my system, there is no need for all the fans to spin. Cutting of the front fans, even while gaming, doesn't affect overall temperatures big time. Makes not even 1 C. Same with the CPU fan. I have the overkill HR-02 Macho on the CPU and a good thermal paste, I never see temperatures above 48 C under gaming load without a fan blowing. So, the case fan in the back does it all. 500 rpm during low workload up to 1000 while gaming. In winter the case fan can be set to shut off while idle, too. This is the advantage about voltage control. PWM can't be shut off completely. Good luck for you to find the right fan settings. ;)

Thread Information