Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unable to run Crucial 1866mhz RAM at their rated speed in Asrock FM2A88X-ITX+ MB

Default Re: Unable to run Crucial 1866mhz RAM at their rated speed in Asrock FM2A88X-ITX+ MB

Quote Originally Posted by VisibleNinja View Post
    (A-Data has a very low presence in Denmark)
    Man, did you get lucky.

Writing this on the beast with the 2133mhz!
    Great!

It's just a bit silly there is so little compatability on RAM.
    Something to keep in mind concerning that. The MB manufacturers have a very limited supply of memory in-house with which to test with. Most of the "compatibility' lists they make/create are using, most times, outdated and or hard to find memory. There's simply too many different sticks from way too many memory manufacturers for a MB manuf'er to keep up and have on hand to test with. It just doesn't happen. Way way too much capitol for them to invest in. Never mind stay on top of.

RAM/memory manufacturers on the other hand, it's in their best interest to buy the comparable "smattering' of MB's and test their own memory out on/with and generate their own compatibility list for their product on brand X's MB's. Like I found the compatibility issue with your MB and that Crucial, the memory manufacturers have compatibility lists giving their tried/tested/guaranteed experiences. Thumbs up or thumbs down.

Remember next time to look at the memory manufacturers pages and you'll always have the latest, usually, list of what they've found to work on MB X. G.Skill's RAM Configurator, linked in my sig below, is where I always turn. I've had nothing but good experiences with 'em through the years.

Anyways, glad to hear the 2133 and running. Enjoy.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Unable to run Crucial 1866mhz RAM at their rated speed in Asrock FM2A88X-ITX+ MB

Hi man,
    Looked at Asrocks compatability list and saw the only 8GB sticks running at 2133mhz was A-data RAM.
    By a crazy coincidence(A-Data has a very low presence in Denmark), they were on sale at a retailer(at a cheaper price than competing RAM too), so I grabbed them and just followed your instructions on how to enable 2133mhz speed in BIOS and worked like a charm :)

Writing this on the beast with the 2133mhz!

It's just a bit silly there is so little compatability on RAM.
    Memory compatibility is now mostly dependent on the system's memory controller, which resides inside the CPU on most if not all processors made over the last several years. It also seems to be more of an issue with DDR3 memory than with DDR2, for example. I've mixed two different manufacture's DDR2 memory on the same board and it worked perfectly.

The memory compatibility specs of memory controllers are published, in Intel's case in their publicly available processor data sheets. I'm not familiar with AMD's equivalent documents. The Intel specs list a few common, basic memory chip configurations, and their configuration on a memory card. They also include speed and timing specs, all very typical and easily met.

Where the specs diverge is mainly with memory speed, since the guaranteed memory speeds of a processor's memory controller are usually quite low by enthusiast standards. Many current Intel processors have a max memory speed spec of 1600, a handful at 1866, and their latest models using DDR4 memory at 2133. Otherwise 1333 is common, or less for older processors. Fortunately higher speed memory can be used with all these processors, but is considered to be an OC and not guaranteed by Intel to work.

AMD memory controllers are basically the same as Intel in these aspects.

Compatibility, or the lack of it, caused by mother boards (design, BIOS, etc) is fairly mysterious IMO, if it is even a factor at all. Whether or not it is a factor is part of the mystery.

We rarely if ever know why one model of memory is compatible or not with a board and CPU pair, or at least we don't check the technical specs of the memory vs those of the memory controller. That is if we even know the necessary technical specs of the memory model in question, most of the time we don't or don't have access to that information.

Then there are a precious few models of memory that work on any hardware, like the so called Samsung "Green", "Miracle" memory. I use this memory with three generations of Intel processors/memory controllers, on different mother boards, and it just works fine every time, even over clocked. This memory makes me suspect that memory incompatibility is created to a degree.

Recently I broke one of the main "rules" of memory usage, that is not mixing different models of memory in the same board and expecting it to work. I experimented with mixing two different models (different names, numbers, and heat spreaders) of DDR3 memory used together, although made by the same manufacture and having the same basic capacity, speed and timing specs. Cleared the BIOS before the first start after adding the different DIMMs, and the PC booted right up, all the memory recognized fine. Later I noticed the board/BIOS applied the XMP profile from one of the models onto both models, and still worked fine.

Frankly, I just got lucky IMO, and these different models are not really much different at all, besides their heat spreaders.

You would think that memory manufactures would donate their products to mother board manufactures, so they would be listed in a board's compatibility list. I would think that would increase sales of the memory, as well as help owners of those boards.
    Last edited by parsec; 09-14-2014 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Compatibility, or the lack of it, caused by mother boards (design, BIOS, etc) is fairly mysterious IMO, if it is even a factor at all. Whether or not it is a factor is part of the mystery.

........ and it just works fine every time, even over clocked. This memory makes me suspect that memory incompatibility is created to a degree.
    While I am certainly no expert on the issue .....

Why we see updated BIOSes that state "memory compatibility" in their release description(insert new MRC). And why JEDEC/AMP/XMP written onto our memory sticks is pertinent.

Memory Reference Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www...ader-paper.pdf

Go Parallel | Dr. Dobb's | Booting an Intel Architecture System, Part I: Early Initialization | December 26, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    You would think that memory manufactures would donate their products to mother board manufactures, so they would be listed in a board's compatibility list. I would think that would increase sales of the memory, as well as help owners of those boards.
    Oddly, I know, but I see it as just the opposite. We've discussed it before at length and have chosen to simply agree to disagree on this one. To me, it's a symbioses between the MB and RAM manuf'ers. One the RAM manuf'ers keep pushing the boundaries of. That's why I go to the RAM manuf'ers website to determine compatibility.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information