Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyway to use 3 PCIE cards on OC Formula Z97 without molex connector??

Default Re: Anyway to use 3 PCIE cards on OC Formula Z97 without molex connector??

Wow parsec, thanks so much for the link & for understanding my situation!! Much appreciated!

Incidentally i got a pm from one "Asrock TSD Emily" with a "ASRock support staff" tag wherein she provided me a link to a modified bios that disables the molex connector warning (for those of us using less than 3 vga cards). I must say im impressed that Asrock has this level of customer consideration! But is that user legit? Last thing I'd need is to update my bios from an unknown source!

And i must say these forums absolutely rock!!!
    Desktop: 4790k @ stock | Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB (2x8gb) Crucial Ballistex @ CL9 | Asrock OC Formula Z97 | Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI | 240gb OCZ Vertex 3 MI & 2TB WD Black | Auzentech Forte 7.1 | Seasonic 760wt Platinum | DELL U2711 @ 1440p | Corsair 300R | Win7
    Ultrabook: Zenbook UX32LN | i5 4200u | 8GB RAM | Nvidia 840m | IPS Matte @ 1080p | 256GB SSD | Win8.1

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Default Re: Anyway to use 3 PCIE cards on OC Formula Z97 without molex connector??

ASRock TSD - Emily is with ASRock tech support and has assisted in many threads.
    She is one of 9 forum members who have viewed your thread.
    Check out her forum profile at View Profile: ASRock TSD - Emily - TweakTown Forums and you will see that she has posted 558 times in the forum.

It looks like the easiest solution to your problem is to buy the $3.99 right angle molex adapter that parsec linked to.
    Keep in mind that with the right angle connector plugged in to your motherboard, it will only extend ~12mm or less and shouldn't interfere with your power supply.

It appears that the motherboard detects how many pci-e slots are occupied and that it does not care how much or how little power is consumed by the pci-e hardware.
    Last edited by profJim; 09-02-2014 at 04:24 PM.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Ok thanks alot for all the replies and help guys, you've all been awesome & it's very much appreciated! Ok I'll try to order from frozen cpu, but its an international order and might not go through (they don't offer credit cards for international orders). If not, i'll go to my local enthusiast shop and see if they have something similar. If i can't acquire one of those molex connector extensions, i'll use the bios as a last resort.

The thing is it's just a tiny Auzentech Forte PCIE x1 sound card, so i'm pretty confident the special bios from AsRock that bypasses that warning screen would be fine (its meant for 3 VGA cards afterall). How much extra power can a PCIE x1 sound card pull? It shouldn't be anymore than onboard audio i imagine.:p
    Desktop: 4790k @ stock | Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB (2x8gb) Crucial Ballistex @ CL9 | Asrock OC Formula Z97 | Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI | 240gb OCZ Vertex 3 MI & 2TB WD Black | Auzentech Forte 7.1 | Seasonic 760wt Platinum | DELL U2711 @ 1440p | Corsair 300R | Win7
    Ultrabook: Zenbook UX32LN | i5 4200u | 8GB RAM | Nvidia 840m | IPS Matte @ 1080p | 256GB SSD | Win8.1

parsec is offline Senior Member

Yes Emily is the real deal, you can trust us that she is an ASRock employee.

Might as well try that modified BIOS file since ordering that adapter is not cheap for you. You can always change to another BIOS if you need to.

Apparently the standard BIOS just detects how many PCIe cards are in use and at a certain number displays that message.

I'm a bit surprised that ASRock offered that modified BIOS so quickly, since now users that really should use the extra PCIe power connection will be asking for that BIOS, if they are aware of it.

That connector and the error message were not added just to drive people crazy and cause trouble, although the threshold for displaying the message might be to abrupt. Adding the extra power, if needed, will make things better, not worse.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Yes Emily is the real deal, you can trust us that she is an ASRock employee.

Might as well try that modified BIOS file since ordering that adapter is not cheap for you. You can always change to another BIOS if you need to.

Apparently the standard BIOS just detects how many PCIe cards are in use and at a certain number displays that message.

I'm a bit surprised that ASRock offered that modified BIOS so quickly, since now users that really should use the extra PCIe power connection will be asking for that BIOS, if they are aware of it.

That connector and the error message were not added just to drive people crazy and cause trouble, although the threshold for displaying the message might be to abrupt. Adding the extra power, if needed, will make things better, not worse.

Well i agree they're trying to look out for the customers by insisting on using a molex connector for 3 graphics cards (it specifically states 3 graphics cards in the manual), but for 2 graphics cards and 1 PCIE x1 sound card i doubt the molex connector is needed, no? I also have a highly efficient Seasonic Platinum 760wt PSU which has top of the line power delivery. On top of that a 4790k is already super power efficient even if overclocked a little...anyways i'll first make a trip to my local enthusiast shop and try to find a similar molex extension connector, if i can't find it then i'm gonna do the bios upgrade as the difference between my Auzentech Forte sound card and onboard audio is night and day with my speakers.

Thanks again for all the help guys!

Quote Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
    Wow parsec, thanks so much for the link & for understanding my situation!! Much appreciated!

Incidentally i got a pm from one "Asrock TSD Emily" with a "ASRock support staff" tag wherein she provided me a link to a modified bios that disables the molex connector warning (for those of us using less than 3 vga cards). I must say im impressed that Asrock has this level of customer consideration! But is that user legit? Last thing I'd need is to update my bios from an unknown source!

And i must say these forums absolutely rock!!!
    Is there any way you can provide a link to such BIOS? I have a similar issue with 3 non GPU cards and no space to stick molex.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by yevgeny View Post
    Is there any way you can provide a link to such BIOS? I have a similar issue with 3 non GPU cards and no space to stick molex.Thank you.
    PM me and i'll send it to you. They asked me not to put it up publicly.

Hi,

i have the same Problem, can you please send me the Same Bios update? Thank you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information