Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Only onboard graphics -- my fault?

SelfGovern is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Only onboard graphics -- my fault?

I've put the card in another system that may be underpowered on the 12V side, and could get it to boot into safe mode only (win 7 x64). Everything seemed to work OK there, but of course I couldn't do much (anything?) in the way of diagnostics on it in safe mode.

So I ordered an Antec HCG 750M power supply, should be here Wednesday, we'll see what happens.

I'm still concerned that the ASRock Extreme6 won't even get past the BIOS boot section with the card in the system. I'll be posting on the MSI graphics card site, too, as soon as I see what happens with the new PS.
    Last edited by SelfGovern; 09-09-2014 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Wednesday, not Monday!

parsec is offline Senior Member

IMO, it's not the PSU, it's the VBIOS of the MSI (ATI) card. It's quite a trend with the AMD/ATI based newer video cards, so many threads and posts about no video output from them in new and older systems. Started seeing them about X99 boards now too.

We simply do not see this with Nvidia based cards. I'm NOT implying or saying Nvidia is better or AMD/ATI is worse, just relating my observations. Also the post earlier in this thread about the VBIOS makes sense.

Was finally able to get the R9 280 in a breadboarded motherboard.
    I was able to load WIndoes 7 Pro
    I installed all the available updates (except for the languages).
    I then loaded Catalyst. After the required reboot, I was unable to get a successful boot. The system shows and completes POST, then starts to load Windows. It gets to the stage where the four different-colored blobs dance around and finally form the Windows logo... and shortly after that, the screen goes black, and I can't get any response from the system.

Does this sound like a bad graphics card? Or am I missing something else?

Would you say at this point that the new PSU contributed to the video card finally working for you (at first), or something else?

So you had video output to the monitor from the MSI video card throughout the Windows installation, and the endless Windows 7 updates, prior to installing the Catalyst driver, correct? That must have been over a period of hours or days.

I assume you did not have the correct display resolution before installing the Catalyst driver, meaning everything in the display was larger than it would be once the display resolution was set correctly. Is that right?

I could not find what you use for a monitor in this thread, just wondering what it is.

Quite a coincidence that the video signal seems to fail right when Windows starts, after installing the Catalyst driver. Does that behavior occur repeatedly, meaning you can start from a cold boot multiple times, or a restart via the reset button, and you'll get video to the monitor as you described and then it fails?

If so, I would suggest changing to the onboard video, start the PC and remove the Catalyst driver. Then reboot the PC still using the onboard graphics. Then shutdown, change the video cable back to the video card and see what happens.

If you then get video from the MSI card, apparently the driver version you installed did not agree with the card. Or possibly an automatic or default setting for the resolution of the monitor was wrong for some reason, but that is rare with current drivers and cards. Which is why I'm curious about your monitor.

No; it's not the power supply. The behaviour of the graphics card (or lack of behaviour) is the same regardless of which of two Antec 750 Watt power supplies I use.

Yes, the card was fine in Windows, through the complete set of Windows updates (1GB or so in total downloads and a hundred or so individual updates), reboots, installing GPU-Z, downloading Catalyst. It was several hours. I was able to change the resolution to something appropriate to the monitor before installing Catalyst.

The behaviour is repeatable -- once I load Catalyst it always breaks after that first window screen. (loaded Windows twice from scratch) And once it fails, doing a complete power off doesn't change it, it still won't boot.

I've used both a HannsG 1024x768 and HP LP2025 monitor, with no difference in results. Tried it with a couple of different DVI cables (actually three different).

In any case, I ended up getting the go-ahead from MSI for an RMI, and will be sending the card back when I get a chance. I hope that it is indeed the card, and that Mr. Replacement will allow me to set him up without problems. I owe my thanks to those here who have tried to help.

Ok, good luck with the RMA. Did you ever try a different version of the Catalyst driver, meaning a previously released version? Not sure if you did.

I just wanted to know if you were using regular monitors, or a HD TV. TVs can be weird sometimes with their resolutions, which should be the same as PC monitors, but are not quite the same sometimes.

Never tried a different version of Catalyst. Just got tired of fooling around; too many wasted hours on a card that showed other signs of not being "right".

Did the RMA with MSI for the R9 290, got it back and installed it today... everything seems to be working fine.
    I was so frustrated with how things had been going, that I was taken aback when the system booted to
    Windows with the MSI card in.

What a lot of time wasted... but so glad it's working now. Thanks to everyone who helped with suggestions
    and ideas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information