Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Error! System cannot get FW version. A3.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Error! System cannot get FW version. A3.

It should make no difference if the USB devices were connected or not. You can disconnect them now and plug them in again, but you've no doubt done that since trying the driver reloads.

BTW, what USB keyboard are you using? I've never seen a keyboard do that.

You mentioned you installed the IME software again, "... from their website.". Is that the ver:8.1.2.1318, or ver:8.0.2.1410? The first one is the Windows 8 beta version, the second a Windows 7 version. BOTH of these are for use with Ivy Bridge processors.

Try this version, directly from Intel: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...21764&lang=eng

Since you're using Windows 8.1, I imagine you're using the Windows Fast Start feature, enabled by default. A hibernate type file is used for this feature, that saves certain internal data that is used over rather than created. We can try the following but I don't know if it will change anything.

Open up Power Option by right clicking with the mouse pointer in the lower left corner of the screen and select Power Options. On the upper left hand side of that screen is "Choose what the power buttons do", click that.

In the next screen, find Shutdown settings, and clear the check from "Turn on fast startup". You can always reset that later. You may need to click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable", near the top of this screen, first. Click Save changes when done.

You'll need to shutdown completely, actually right click with the mouse pointer in the lower left corner of the screen and choose Shutdown, which does a normal, non-fast startup shutdown. If you don't turn off fast startup, the file it uses will likely not get removed or recreated, both of which I want to happen.

I'm really not impressed by the way ASRock organizes things (??) regarding the Sandy to Ivy processor update. Very little is described about which files are for what usage. Plus everything pre-Ivy Bridge has been removed, as if everyone using this board now uses an Ivy Bridge processor. Plus the version of AXTU is the Ivy Bridge compatible version. Are all these things compatible with Sandy Bridge processors too?

I'd like you to use a later BIOS besides the one you have, but not an Ivy Bridge version. I can never remember the FTP address that might get you to a different BIOS version, if we even knew what version numbers existed.

Thank you again for your suggestions and I will try them when I get home from work today.

To answer a couple of your questions:

I am using the Corsair Vengeance K90. It does have 2 usb plugs, one for the keyboard and another for a usb port on the actual keyboard itself (I made sure I was plugging in the keyboard USB plug...I've made that mistake before.)

I did install the "latest" version of the IME software which was version IME 10 (10.0.1.1000). Of course based on your post, I'm sure this was incorrect and will have to downgrade to the link you posted. Question: is there a proper way to uninstall IME 10 before installed the one you posted? The reason I ask is because I did not see anything related to IME in my uninstall programs list when I checked initially. Hopefully this wrong version is the culprit, and I can just reinstall over the top of my existing version.

I actually am not using the Fast Start feature. I disabled that when I first started using 8.1, just because I like a "true" shutdown, and don't really care about boot speeds.

I do agree with you about the Sandy support, I was miffed that there were no links to previous BIOS versions on their site (especially if these 2.x versions don't support Sandy's). For what it's worth they sent me a BIOS chip with 1.10 on it, so at least that seems stable enough. If there was an FTP site with previous versions I would be curious to see how many 1.x versions they had prior to the 2.0 (Ivy versions).

Thanks again, and I will report back in a few hours. The fun continues! :)

Still with me, that's great. Thanks for the "like" too.

You should be seeing something like "Management Engine Components" in the Programs and Features list. If you don't see anything with "Management Engine" or just "ME", or "IME Firmware Recovery Agent", then nothing may have installed from the IME version 10 installer.

The thing with IME is it has changed with each new Intel processor generation and corresponding chipsets. The earlier versions such as those for the 6 series chipsets are different than the versions for the latest chipsets. With each new processor/chipset generation, what IME does has evolved and changed. The version that you said you installed, 10.0.1.1000, has this description from Intel:

Installs the Intel® Management Engine (Intel® ME) version 10.0.1.1000 for Intel® NUC boards and kits.

I recall someone else trying that version with a standard desktop board (not NUC), and it did nothing IIRC.

Note that Intel maintains multiple versions of the IME installation program, depending on the platform, so the current IME installers don't seem to be general, any processor/chipset. This is what Intel currently has for downloading, notice the different versions:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...agement+engine

If the latest or any IME installer was generic, why maintain the earlier versions?

So try the version I suggested for your board from Intel, since we don't have access to the original version for your board when using a Sandy Bridge processor, from ASRock.

I ask about the keyboard since some models must have their software/driver installed to work correctly. LogiTech keyboard are a main example of this. I'm not sure about your Corsair keyboard, you can confirm that for me.

It does look like there is a firmware/software update out there for my keyboard. In the ZIP file I downloaded from Corsair it looks like it adds some sort of standard/BIOS mode for the keyboard so that it is easily recognizable or something along those lines (enabled via a shortcut key). I will try that as well.

OK, reporting back once again. I uninstalled the version 10 of IME and installed the one linked in the previous post. I also updated my keyboard FW just for kicks, and now if I do a little trick (there is a Windows Lock key + F1) it will go into "standard mode". This allows me to enter into the BIOS, however now my mouse is all inverted (I move mouse to the right, pointer goes up; move pointer up it goes left, all weird like). I've never seen this happen before.

Also, when I try and enter in values for CPU multiplier etc, the keyboard does not enter the proper number, and instead enters in some other values, so there is definitely still something "off".

EDIT: plugged in my PS2 keyboard and was able to edit values properly, the mouse was still all wonky however with the inverted movements.

EDIT: another thing I noticed is that if I plug my usb keyboard into another USB port, the computer will not boot and hangs on the screenshot from my earlier post. At the top it says the current version of the Intel ME firmware is 7.0.4.1197.

EDIT: tried updating the drivers for the USB hosts/controllers again as you instructed earlier to no avail.
    Last edited by kswizzlez; 09-16-2014 at 05:35 AM.

Not sure what to say except... I knew it was related to the (Corsair) keyboard!!

I'd suggest trying a simple USB keyboard, like a Microsoft, just to see how it reacts.

So there is no software associated with the Corsair keyboard? I assume it worked fine before you changed to the Ivy Bridge BIOS.

Have you tried clearing the BIOS/CMOS since you are able to boot and use the BIOS? Do you have any versions of the BIOS, besides the Ivy Bridge versions, that you could apply?

Really need to find one for you, another version might enhance USB compatibility.

Have you tried changing any of the USB options in the BIOS? Not sure what your board's settings are, but worth experimenting with.

Tried another USB keyboard and it worked fine. Got into BIOS without issues.

However, it still does not explain why all of a sudden my mouse (G400s) is all wonky and inverted in the BIOS now. It was fine up until the most recent installs of IME and the update drivers in Windows.

I don't have any other versions of the BIOS, and I have no idea where I would even find them.

In the BIOS I have all of the USB options enabled: 2.0, 3.0, legacy 2.0, legacy 3.0.

I'll try and reset the CMOS and see what happens.

EDIT: tried clearing the CMOS to no effect.
    Last edited by kswizzlez; 09-16-2014 at 08:46 AM.

Sorry to say, but it makes me feel better that the other USB keyboard works fine.

IMO, that means the PC is basically fine, you're back to a generally healthy PC, but there is an issue with that Corsair keyboard. You did say the mouse went crazy after putting the keyboard in standard mode. I just noticed now what the mouse is... a LogiTech!!

I have had several LogiTech mice over the years, some like their old track ball mice just work without any fuss, but some of the other ones, what a pain they can be!!

If you haven't completely uninstalled and installed again the LogiTech software for that mouse, which I know it has, you must do that. If done already, then the quest for a newer BIOS is the next hurdle to jump.

You may be able to find an earlier BIOS through this thread, by posting in it or searching through it, I don't have the time to do that:

Asrock P67 Extreme4 UEFI & Drivers thread [Extreme6 & Pro3 owners welcome]

Thanks so much! I will search through the thread a little.

I never did install any logitech software with the mouse and all has been well (until now). I will attempt to install the logitech software this time around and see if it affects my issues within the BIOS.

Reporting back:

I flashed my BIOS to version 1.11B which I had to find on the far reaches of the internet (it supposedly had increased compatibility with mice and keyboards withing UEFI). My wonky mouse issues were gone however there are still some weird issues with the keyboard, but I am able to get in the BIOS with everything plugged in. Currently, I am experiencing a problem where the computer is booting straight into the BIOS without loading windows, so I am diagnosing that at the moment. At this point I'm concluding that the K90 keyboard just has issues with the ASRock board and vice versa.

There is a fix online to plug in 2 usb keyboards, boot into BIOS, then unplug the backup keyboard, and the K90 should work properly. I am going to try that tonight and see how that goes (and hopefully this resolves the booting straight into BIOS problem as well).

Otherwise, I suppose I have no problem plugging in another keyboard to adjust BIOS settings, if that is what I have to do going forward.
    Last edited by kswizzlez; 09-18-2014 at 11:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information