Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Error! System cannot get FW version. A3.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Error! System cannot get FW version. A3.

It could be an incompatibility between the board and your keyboard, but didn't the keyboard work for you fine with this board before you flashed to the Ivy Bridge compatible BIOS? I think it did, which means something in a later BIOS (pre-Ivy of course) fixed any problems. I still wish we could find a newer, pre-Ivy BIOS for your board. Lesson to learn, save BIOS files or BIOS installation programs, I do that now all the time. I've only used one occasionally, but it saved me many headaches and time.

Let us know where you are at now, just to see how far you've come with all this.

Yes, the keyboard did work fine with this board before I flashed to the Ivy BIOS. Unfortunately, I did not note the current 1.x version I was using, so I have no idea which it was. Plus, I can't even get a 1.x version without going to a dark corner of the internet! What is really sad is that I opened an email ticket with ASRock technical support describing my issue and asking for a later 1.x BIOS file, and their reply was: "We do not have any bios version for sandy processors , try with a different mouse"...no joke...I copied and pasted that straight from from the email. I bought this board 3 years ago and they don't have a BIOS file to send me for 1.x? I mean that seems ridiculous to me.

So enough about that...my current state is stable with one minor hitch. My USB K90 keyboard works in the BIOS, no problems on boot, etc, HOWEVER only if I keep my PS2 keyboard plugged in at all times. It is the weirdest thing. The minute I unplug the PS2 keyboard, and leave the K90 plugged in, it will not boot, and sometime will not even shut down properly. I have tried most every combination of USB settings in the BIOS for legacy 2.0/3.0 etc to no avail. Tried every port on the back (all 6), plus the front ones, same issue. For now, it is not a big deal for me to leave the PS2 plugged in, but it is kind of annoying.

I wonder if it is worth doing a fresh, clean install of Windows 8.1 to see if that will help anything? Maybe I will try that if I get sick of looking at my PS2 keyboard :). That being said if there are any other suggestions I can try, please of course let me know. Otherwise I think I can live with the system as is.

One final note that I wish to say directly to parsec. The level of support/help you have given me on this issue is above and beyond anything I could have imagined I'd get through a forum. The attention to detail, and excellent instructions on fixes to try were great. So thank you again for helping me get back up and running. I've certainly learned a lot through this process, and you were a key piece in that. Thanks again!
    Last edited by kswizzlez; 09-19-2014 at 10:09 PM. Reason: spelling

parsec is offline Senior Member

kswisslez, thanks so much for your kind words, I appreciate that! As I told you in a PM, I learn things from helping others in this forum, so I do get something from doing this, particularly in your situation.

Sorry to hear about the response from ASR, not sure what to tell you. Part of the the reason I followed up with you on your problems is your ongoing engagement in trying to find a solution, meaning you did your homework and did not just wait for a magical fix from someone else. I just wish your efforts as you described payed off for you.

Now yet again I see a similarity of your experience with things I have seen. That is, your Corsair keyboard works when the PS2 keyboard is connected. I had the same situation with a wireless mouse (Microsoft) and a simple wired mouse, this on my Z97 Extreme 6 board. The wireless mouse would not function correctly with a fresh Windows 8.1 installation, except when I connected the simple wired mouse. I could literally "wake up" the wireless mouse in the BIOS by just connecting the wired mouse on the fly. That was erratic at times, failing occasionally, but regardless reminds me of your experience.

I'm beginning to think this might be a Windows registry problem. The re-install of Windows 8.1 could work, but I would hate to tell you it will, since I am not 100% certain it would.

In my situation with the mouse, with a new Windows installation, installing the wireless mouse driver fixed my problems. Installing the driver software for your keyboard with the new BIOS chip and BIOS version, with an existing Windows installation did not seem to help.

The best I can tell you is a new installation should work, which unfortunately is not the same as it will work.

It's interesting, we can update a BIOS file (speaking generally) which does not then cause problems with our keyboard and mouse. But we replace a CMOS BIOS chip, with an older BIOS file (probably the key) and you have issues...

Thanks again. I will definitely update this thread if I choose to re-install windows and report back if that fixes the issue.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information