Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 44

Thread: Defective Mobo - What to do?




  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: Defective Mobo - What to do?

    Yes I just ordered an Antec power supply and a EVGA video card, will check everything out and then contact ASRock if I can't work it out. I searched to know what brand was most reliable.

    What do you think about CPU problems, could they cause this type of freezing? Because I can't swap that out...

    Quote Originally Posted by SelfGovern View Post
    If you're going to buy a new power supply, have you done the research to know you're buying a reputable brand (and there are a lot of bad review sites out there). jonnyguru.com and hardocp.com are two very reputable sites.

    If you're not decided, it would be worthwhile to use the power supply from the good system in the others to see if perhaps you have a cheap PS problem.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: Defective Mobo - What to do?

    Ok I have replaced it with the Antec 550 power supply. Testing it now, and have the new video card right here, if needed.

    I have not filed a report yet but will if this problem continues, its really constantly freezing and has other weird behavior. The problem is not manageable. At this point I cringe every time any program has a hiccup, thinking that it has crashed once again. And often, it has.

    Thanks again for this forum, at first I felt so lost, it sucks to feel that way. Now I feel quite a bit better about it, even though i haven't had time to deal with it recently.

    As I said before the small company that put it together sent it back to the factory once, but I was not able to get any on that, no repair number or anything. Maybe its all done by serial number. He said if it was still a problem he could send it back again, but that takes 2-3 weeks. So at least I want to make sure its not something simple that i can fix. I just need my cool custom system working properly...

    I did NOT update bios, should I really do that now? I am not sure if I should.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    29

    Smile Re: Defective Mobo - What to do?

    Well, 10 hours in and all is well, not a single crash so far and I have tested it pretty good. So glad I bought a high quality power supply, and gave it ample power (450 would probably been enough and I went with 550).

    Will come back tomorrow with more info. I will try to document what the crashes were like for future reference. Not ready to confirm but definitely looking better now.


    Quote Originally Posted by MBwoes View Post
    Ok I have replaced it with the Antec 550 power supply. Testing it now, and have the new video card right here, if needed.

    I have not filed a report yet but will if this problem continues, its really constantly freezing and has other weird behavior. The problem is not manageable. At this point I cringe every time any program has a hiccup, thinking that it has crashed once again. And often, it has.

    Thanks again for this forum, at first I felt so lost, it sucks to feel that way. Now I feel quite a bit better about it, even though i haven't had time to deal with it recently.

    As I said before the small company that put it together sent it back to the factory once, but I was not able to get any on that, no repair number or anything. Maybe its all done by serial number. He said if it was still a problem he could send it back again, but that takes 2-3 weeks. So at least I want to make sure its not something simple that i can fix. I just need my cool custom system working properly...

    I did NOT update bios, should I really do that now? I am not sure if I should.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: Defective Mobo - What to do?

    Ok finally I did have a crash after 36 hours, but only after seriously stressing the system with open programs. Its much better with a reliable power source, like night and day, but I did make it crash and so will file a support request.

    I only was able to induce a crash after opening a large number of programs, two browsers, virtualbox with a single-threaded program open, and a music player. Finally it crashed, but the last song played on to the end.

    Quote Originally Posted by MBwoes View Post
    Well, 10 hours in and all is well, not a single crash so far and I have tested it pretty good. So glad I bought a high quality power supply, and gave it ample power (450 would probably been enough and I went with 550).

    Will come back tomorrow with more info. I will try to document what the crashes were like for future reference. Not ready to confirm but definitely looking better now.

  5. #15
    SelfGovern is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: Defective Mobo - What to do?

    Several things can cause a delayed crash. Those might include:
    - Heat
    - memory bad or going bad
    - memory leak (program or driver that allocates more and more RAM and doesn't release it, so less and less RAM is available, and it eventually runs out)
    - Virus/malware shenanigans
    - failing hard drive or other hardware (CPU, motherboard, some other component)
    - spilt water or food (included for completeness, not as a serious reason)

    It's possible to use tools like Windows PerfMon, virus checkers, memory diagnostics, etc., to try to identify the actual problem. If you're interested in trying to do that, we can give you some guidance. It's not typically an easy or quick process (barring such luck as, you choose to run memtest, and it identifies a bad memory module right off the bat) -- but having a stable system -- particularly in a business environment -- is worth more than a little time and money. (That's where your unique situation and values come in: is it better to build a new system, maybe getting better/faster/warrantied components at some cost in $$ and minimum time, or is it better to spend possibly a lot of time and some dollars to track down the problem, or is it a system where it doesn't matter, and you're happy leaving it alone until it gets worse?)

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,675

    Default Re: Defective Mobo - What to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by SelfGovern View Post
    It's possible to use tools like Windows PerfMon, virus checkers, memory diagnostics, etc., to try to identify the actual problem. If you're interested in trying to do that, we can give you some guidance. It's not typically an easy or quick process (barring such luck as, you choose to run memtest, and it identifies a bad memory module right off the bat) -- but having a stable system -- particularly in a business environment -- is worth more than a little time and money. (That's where your unique situation and values come in: is it better to build a new system, maybe getting better/faster/warrantied components at some cost in $$ and minimum time, or is it better to spend possibly a lot of time and some dollars to track down the problem, or is it a system where it doesn't matter, and you're happy leaving it alone until it gets worse?)
    My money would be riding on the back of the folks who built them to diagnose and or fix them. That's what Warranties/RMA's are for.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

    #2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

    #3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Defective Mobo - What to do?

    I am having the same exact problem with my z77 extreme3...

  8. #18
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: Defective Mobo - What to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by MBwoes View Post
    Ok finally I did have a crash after 36 hours, but only after seriously stressing the system with open programs. Its much better with a reliable power source, like night and day, but I did make it crash and so will file a support request.

    I only was able to induce a crash after opening a large number of programs, two browsers, virtualbox with a single-threaded program open, and a music player. Finally it crashed, but the last song played on to the end.
    System crashes can be induced by many things, and of course can be completely unrelated to your original problem.

    For example, when I first started using Windows 8, my browser (Firefox) would crash all the time. I finally discovered it was Adobe Flash player that was the problem. That was last year, and Adobe has fixed their problems since then.

    As you gain experience with PCs, hardware and software, you realize your first reaction or thought about a problem is wrong at least half the time. No offense, but check the title of this thread, is that what the problem actually was?

    This board may be compatible with an AMD 8350 CPU, but that does not mean it can be used without taking the required precautions that a PC builder must do on their own. You said you did not have a "temperature issue", is that CPU, video card, or what?

    This is from the CPU Support list for your board, a note for the 8350 and other processors:

    * For cooling the CPU and its surrounding components, please install a CPU cooler with a top-down blowing design.

    A bit vague, but this is referring to a CPU cooler that moves air across the board, to cool the processor's voltage regulators modules (VRM), that get warm/hot when the CPU is under higher loads. While this board does have a small heat sink on the VRMs, it is only a "4 + 1" VRM design, which is on the low side for long term, high power delivery for a processor like the 8350. Also the PC case and the cooling fans in it can make a big difference in cooling or not cooling the CPU and VRMs. We have no idea what PC cases and cooling you are using, or what CPU coolers you are using.

    Building a PC is not simply choosing some parts and putting them into a PC case, you must provide for the needs of that hardware, from supplying ample, stable power, to cooling its components properly.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: Defective Mobo - What to do?

    Thanks for that info parsec, I will get an internal fan. Not sure what <style type="text/css">p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; direction: ltr; line-height: 120%; text-align: left; widows: 2; orphans: 2; }p.western { font-size: 12pt; }p.cjk { font-size: 12pt; }p.ctl { font-size: 12pt; }</style> top-down blowing design means, and I can't put a fan blowing down from top, but its got two slots on the side and one on the back, I just have to figure out the air flow.

    I picked this title because the computer had already gone back to the factory once, so I think its an appropriate statement.

    The power supply really improved things a lot. I did cause the freeze under pretty extreme conditions, but since that time with normal use only one small blip. However changing the power on the second computer has made it not work at all, I don't know what's wrong, I did the exact same things when changing it. So always another problem these days.

    Unfortunately, I don't seem to be getting any support from the small company that put these together. For instance they should have checked with another power supply, but I guess they didn't.

    Now I will try to fix this one as well...not blaming ASRock, but this has been a pain for me. Its nice getting one computer going but losing the other sucks. I don't know what is going on, I was very careful.

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    System crashes can be induced by many things, and of course can be completely unrelated to your original problem.

    For example, when I first started using Windows 8, my browser (Firefox) would crash all the time. I finally discovered it was Adobe Flash player that was the problem. That was last year, and Adobe has fixed their problems since then.

    As you gain experience with PCs, hardware and software, you realize your first reaction or thought about a problem is wrong at least half the time. No offense, but check the title of this thread, is that what the problem actually was?

    This board may be compatible with an AMD 8350 CPU, but that does not mean it can be used without taking the required precautions that a PC builder must do on their own. You said you did not have a "temperature issue", is that CPU, video card, or what?

    This is from the CPU Support list for your board, a note for the 8350 and other processors:

    * For cooling the CPU and its surrounding components, please install a CPU cooler with a top-down blowing design.

    A bit vague, but this is referring to a CPU cooler that moves air across the board, to cool the processor's voltage regulators modules (VRM), that get warm/hot when the CPU is under higher loads. While this board does have a small heat sink on the VRMs, it is only a "4 + 1" VRM design, which is on the low side for long term, high power delivery for a processor like the 8350. Also the PC case and the cooling fans in it can make a big difference in cooling or not cooling the CPU and VRMs. We have no idea what PC cases and cooling you are using, or what CPU coolers you are using.

    Building a PC is not simply choosing some parts and putting them into a PC case, you must provide for the needs of that hardware, from supplying ample, stable power, to cooling its components properly.

  10. #20
    SelfGovern is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: Defective Mobo - What to do?

    "top-down blowing fan" almost certainly refers to the CPU cooler. Some have a heatsink that supports a fan blowing air essentially across the CPU; others have a fan that blows down onto the CPU -- and the latter is what I would think of as a "top-down blowing fan" -- we're not talking about case fans, but the CPU heatsink/fan combo.

    When changing power supplies, it's important to make sure you
    - connect the CPU fan to the appropriate fan header on the motherboard;
    - connect the CPU power header (4- or 8-pin connector from power supply to a dedicated CPU socket near the processor)
    - connect the PCIe power Molex connector (if provided; many boards don't have one)
    - connect power to the graphics card (6- or 8-pin connector directly from power supply; one or both may be required)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •