Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Defective Mobo - What to do?

Default Re: Defective Mobo - What to do?

Yes parsec I think you are right that heat is the real issue. My video card doesn't even have a fan on it at all! I didn't think about it when I picked it out, didn't skimp on price really, just didn't know.

Thanks for the detailed info about the heat sinks. So far since hooking the fan up correctly everything has gone well, no crashes so far. So I will hold here for now to see if this makes the difference. Recently crashes were happening more often, so this is nice.

If I need to keep going, the gpu is next. But need to wait and see if this is really better or what.

Ok parsec! Its been 6 days, and not one crash. Last night I really tested it out, stressed the system to the max, and it went fine.

I also put those case fans in there to really confirm the heat is going to be removed quickly, those things helped a lot, should have put those in there weeks ago. Two on the side pulling out drags so much fresh air over the board, its great. I kind of want to get another one coming in from the back to push air "across the board", but I don't know if I have another header to connect it to.

Recently, even with the fixed fan, I would see my gpu getting up into the high 50s and even low 60s, and while I haven't had a crash in a week, that's still too high too high for an AMD system. And I have learned not to stress the system after all these problems, so I wasn't seeing the real picture of typical use. So while I was staying under threshold for freezes, the problem really wasn't fixed 100%.

But the case fans really pull the heat out quickly, so while the gpu or cpu will generate a lot of heat under stress, the heat doesn't build up at all.

To be honest, I probably should replace the gpu with one with a fan and a lower heat footprint, but I am lazy and things are looking good right now...

Thank you parsec and SelfGovern for all the help, I think my problem is fixed! Now on to the other machine, gonna get that going as well!!

Also, I want to show what is going on with the psensor, the results seem to make more sense now, and by the way just for reference, psensor still always gives me an error on startup, now it complains about the temp1 value. But, psensor is still at an early stage of development and that doesn't worry me much.

Here is what things look like now: Defective Mobo - What to do?-jpg

Here, notice that several of the values go way up into the 50s, but the SYSTIN value stays down in the 30s at all times. Also notice the fan working responsively to lower temps. What was weird about the info before is that the working computer at the office had much *higher* levels for a bunch of components, which seemed strange, the working one is hotter is some respects than the broken one. And I focused on the AUXTIN value, but that seems to be some ghost value, even going down into frozen territory, it can't be trusted.

Let me compare with the old info, the two computers side by side, the working one at the office and this one before the fan was fixed, I need to make a new post to attach a second picture.

So here is the old pic and my analysis: Defective Mobo - What to do?-jpg

Here, the working one has similar values to the situation now, with many components getting up very high, but this one when it was broken, notice none of the max values get up into the 50s at all. That, I guess, was because the system was getting overheated before any of the components could really get going. But notice especially the SYSTIN values.

In addition, it looks like the office computer is also under a lot of heat stress. The fan is going at much higher rates than the fixed one, and that was true even before I put in the case fans. That system gets some stress because we run virtualbox, but not quite as much as my home computer though. But look at the SYSTIN value, quite high, so I will need to get more case fans.

Anyway, thanks again!

parsec is offline Senior Member

Great, so glad you worked this all out!

The PSensor error on start up is probably just a bug in the sense that the temperature value that causes the error message is set so low that it displays the message when it's probably not valid.

While a passively cooled video card is unusual, actively cooled video cards (with fans), both Nvidia and AMD/ATI routinely go above 60C under heavy load. The specs of your particular card I don't know, but I would not be surprised if it is normal for your card to operate at 60C or more.

I mentioned earlier that all the sensor readings you see are not necessarily true readings of a component. Then of course there is the question of what the generic name (SYSTIN) is referring to. As I also said, besides CPU temperatures, unless the programmers research what each mother board uses for the sensor connections, they can only use generic names for identification.

Now you can see why business oriented PCs usually don't use high end processors when the PC is sitting next to a desk. The user does not understand why they hear fans speeding up and slowing down.

Anyway, keep those fans running and watch those temperatures!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information