Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 3TB+ Unlocker - do I need it?

Default 3TB+ Unlocker - do I need it?

I have a Z97 Anniversary BIOS ver 1.1, running Win 7.1 64 bit pro. All BIOS settings are at the default setting (UEFI enabled).

Do I need "3TB+ Unlocker"? I thought modern BIOS's w a 64 bit OS can handle large drives transparently ...
    Why has ASRock listed this on their Download page for Win 7 64 bit systems?

Thanks.
    Aloke
    PS: I'm not even sure what this app does. http://www.asrock.com/feature/3tb/ has a lot of hype, but no detailed description of the functionality and who needs to use it.

SelfGovern is offline Junior Member

Default Re: 3TB+ Unlocker - do I need it?

If you read the info on the 3TB Unlocker, you'll find that it is for 32-bit OS systems, which can't address more than 4GB without a kluge (and a large chunk of the last GB of the four is devoted to device drivers and video memory mapping... thus "3TB unlocker" instead of "4TB unlocker").

"The fantastic 3TB+ Unlocker tool offers a tweak-friendly feature, breaking the limitation of 32-bit operation system..." (quote from the page you linked to; says similar without the hype when you go to install from ASRock CD).
    Last edited by SelfGovern; 09-10-2014 at 11:30 AM.

Thanks for the help.

That page says:

"The fantastic 3TB+ Unlocker tool offers a tweak-friendly feature, breaking the limitation of 32-bit operation system that could only detect the hard disk within 2048GB. It also allows ASRock motherboards without UEFI Technology to take advantage.."

I was confused because they included this on the download page for a 64 bit OS. And for a motherboard that has UEFI BIOS ...

Aloke

Hi,
    Iím Davis from ASRock HQ TSD.
    Let me explain it.

If you want to use over 2TB volume to be system disk as single partition, three conditions as below must be required:
    1.Your operating system must be 64bit.
    2.UEFI BIOS.
    3.GPT disk format.

So, If your system already meet these requirements as above, your 3TB HDD can used over 2.2TB.
    You donít need to install 3TB+ unlocker additionally.

If your system doesnít meet these conditions, please refer to the two methods as below to get over 2.2TB HDD size.

1.Use over 2TB disk to be system disk, you can refer below link to download 3TB+unlocker and install it. http://www.asrock.com/feature/3TB/index.asp (it will release your remain volume to a new volume)
    Note: over 2TB disk will become two partition.

2.Use over 2TB disk to be data disk,
    step 1. You must install OS to another disk(less than 2TB) to be your system disk.
    step 2. Please follow these to change your disk(over 2TB disk) to GPT mode. Computer Management > Disk Management > delete volume (2TB) > right click Disk(over 2TB disk) > Convert to GPT Disk > create a New Simple Volume
    Note: over 2TB disk will become a complete volume.
    Thank you.

Thank you for a very helpful post.

You should consider adding this to your web site. FAQ for this utility.

Quote Originally Posted by ASRock TSD - Davis View Post
    Hi,
    Iím Davis from ASRock HQ TSD.
    Let me explain it.

If you want to use over 2TB volume to be system disk as single partition, three conditions as below must be required:
    1.Your operating system must be 64bit.
    2.UEFI BIOS.
    3.GPT disk format.

So, If your system already meet these requirements as above, your 3TB HDD can used over 2.2TB.
    You donít need to install 3TB+ unlocker additionally.

If your system doesnít meet these conditions, please refer to the two methods as below to get over 2.2TB HDD size.

1.Use over 2TB disk to be system disk, you can refer below link to download 3TB+unlocker and install it. http://www.asrock.com/feature/3TB/index.asp (it will release your remain volume to a new volume)
    Note: over 2TB disk will become two partition.

2.Use over 2TB disk to be data disk,
    step 1. You must install OS to another disk(less than 2TB) to be your system disk.
    step 2. Please follow these to change your disk(over 2TB disk) to GPT mode. Computer Management > Disk Management > delete volume (2TB) > right click Disk(over 2TB disk) > Convert to GPT Disk > create a New Simple Volume
    Note: over 2TB disk will become a complete volume.
    Thank you.

Hello,
    I have this PC:
    P67 Pro3 / BIOS version 3.30 / Intel Core i7 2600 3.40Ghz / 16Gb DDR3 / SSD Intel 240 Bb with Windows 7 Ultimate instaled on it / HDD WD 4Tb I think at 7200rpm.
    Problem: Into the bios/uefi settings, I can see the 4Tb HHD as listed but with 0 [zero] capacity , Not even 2TB disk.
    I can not acces this hard disk, not showing into Computer Management > Disk Management , I can not use it. It's new, just reinstalled the W7 and hoped this will solve the issue, but still I can't access this new HDD.
    I know is over 2TB but my Mount Board is up to date for it..
    Any suggestions will be a HUGE HELP!!!!! PLEASE!

Regards,
    Silus

parsec is offline Senior Member

Did you try the 3TB+ Unlocker program on your board's download page?

ASRock > P67 Pro3

I know the post you quoted said you don't need to use it, but being a new, uninitialized disk, that might be the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Did you try the 3TB+ Unlocker program on your board's download page?

ASRock > P67 Pro3

I know the post you quoted said you don't need to use it, but being a new, uninitialized disk, that might be the problem.

Thank you so much for the quick response!!!! Until I can use that Hard Disk I can not set up my new PC :(
    Yes, was the first think I did, I installed 3TB+ Unlocker but nothing happened :( andI saw this review on ASRock page.
    I runed the executable "ASR3TB+Unlocker_v1.0.exe" and in the installed folder "C:\Program Files\ASRock Utility\3TB+ Unlocker" I have no file to open any window... how can I use 3TB+ Unlocker once installed?

Regards

parsec is offline Senior Member

Just running the program ASR3TB+Unlocker_v1.0.exe is all you need to do, if I remember correctly.

Have you tried to do anything with your 4TB drive yet? Like going into Disk Management, and Initializing the drive if it asks you to? Can you see that drive in Disk Management?

You must format the drive in GPT format, not standard MBR so that all the space will be useable.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Just running the program ASR3TB+Unlocker_v1.0.exe is all you need to do, if I remember correctly.

Have you tried to do anything with your 4TB drive yet? Like going into Disk Management, and Initializing the drive if it asks you to? Can you see that drive in Disk Management?

You must format the drive in GPT format, not standard MBR so that all the space will be useable.
    The 4TB HDD is not listed on Disk Management. The only part were I can see it to convince myself it's actually working, it's on BIOS Hard Disks list. There is listed, shows that I have connected on SATA 3, but with zero space capacity and with the notice "S.M.A.R.T.: Not Supported"
    When the PC starts, the 4TB HDD is working, has even more noise than other drives, but the sound of the 4TB HDD working stops right before the windows finishes the loading...

Thank You!

Thread Information