Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: AsRock 770 Motherboard CPU Question amd3 & amd3+

Default AsRock 770 Motherboard CPU Question amd3 & amd3+

Good afternoon everyone,
    I hope this post finds ya in good health & spirits
    Working on a new build with the AsRock 770 Extreme3 Motherboard. I know this is a little older Motherboard but stability is why I love AsRock.
    I have been doing a lot of reading on amd3 cpu and amd3+ cpu and motherboards. According to overclockers: AMD Confirms They Will Support Bulldozer on AM3+ | Overclockers
    AMD Confirms They Will Support Bulldozer on AM3+

so if so, could I put a AM3+ in the AsRock 770 Motherboard & if so am I limited too which ones? or all?

Or is the above a scratch in the bucket and gotta go with Phenom II X6.
    Last edited by Spockton; 09-13-2014 at 03:25 AM. Reason: had to add full motherboard details

Default Re: AsRock 770 Motherboard CPU Question amd3 & amd3+

There are no supported FX processors to be found on the 770 Extreme3's CPU List, HERE. Highest is Phenom II X6's
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    There are no supported FX processors to be found on the 770 Extreme3's CPU List, HERE. Highest is Phenom II X6's
    Thank you Wardog for the info but I am seeing under: ASRock > 770 Extreme3
    That the am3+ processor is possible with the bios update. But Asrock doesn't list the am3+ cpu
    Family Model Power Core Frequency FSB L2 Cache L3 Cache CPU Rev.
    Any help in this would be greatly appreciated ;)

parsec is offline Senior Member

I see they slipped in that beta BIOS for AM3+ support. No updates to the CPU support list may be due to this board not being sold anymore, and the 770 chipset may also be not available.

I'll include this link I found about compatible processors for the AMD 770 chipset, not that I personally know it is correct, use it at your own risk:

CPU-Upgrade: AMD 770 chipset processor support

An AMD board like this may support AM3+ processors via their socket, chipset, and BIOS, but IMO that is not where the verification of support ends.

As we have seen with the new 9000 series AMD processors, the rest of the board besides the things listed above must also support the use of a specific processor. The main thing being the VRM power stage for the processor, is it robust enough to be up to the task. Also, the task needs to be defined, running stock or over clocked.

This board looks like a four phase CPU power design without a heat sink, so would not be good for over clocking any of the 8000 series processors.

IMO honest and experienced position, FWIW, I would strongly recommend you not use an FX processor on the 770 Extreme3.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    IMO honest and experienced position, FWIW, I would strongly recommend you not use an FX processor on the 770 Extreme3.
    This is what I was trying to communicate to you, without actually saying it.

I strongly agree. Or at worst a lower power model, below 95W, and not over clocked.

Thread Information