Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: AsRock Z77 Extreme4 all USB speeds at 6 Mbps.

Default AsRock Z77 Extreme4 all USB speeds at 6 Mbps.

I have an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Mobo with usb 2.0 + usb 3.0 ports. The speeds I'm getting is around 6 Mbps, which is ridiculously slow for even usb 2.0. I went into my Bios and have legacy usb support enabled. I bought a Rosewill PCI-e USB 3.0 card and I get the same speeds with it. My bios version is 2.70. The latest BIOS update is 2.90, but there were no notes on improving USB speeds. Did anyone else have this issue? Thx.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: AsRock Z77 Extreme4 all USB speeds at 6 Mbps.

What devices are you using when you get that speed? Such as, copying files from a HDD to a USB flash drive, or USB flash drive to HDD, between two USB flash drives, or between two HDDs connected via USB, etc? What type of flash drive, if any, are you using, USB 2.0 or 3.0? What is showing you the 6Mbps transfer rate?

USB transfer speed, like any type of storage interface, varies depending upon the type and size of files being transferred. I see large variations in USB transfer speed depending upon the type of files, such as programs or picture files, and their size. The source and destination devices also make a difference. Using a USB hub device can also affect speed. What type of files are you copying when you get that speed?

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    What devices are you using when you get that speed? Such as, copying files from a HDD to a USB flash drive, or USB flash drive to HDD, between two USB flash drives, or between two HDDs connected via USB, etc? What type of flash drive, if any, are you using, USB 2.0 or 3.0? What is showing you the 6Mbps transfer rate?

USB transfer speed, like any type of storage interface, varies depending upon the type and size of files being transferred. I see large variations in USB transfer speed depending upon the type of files, such as programs or picture files, and their size. The source and destination devices also make a difference. Using a USB hub device can also affect speed. What type of files are you copying when you get that speed?

I'm using a 8GB Data Traveler (USB 3.0) flash drive. I'm copying Office and PDF files from my SSD to the flash drive. I connect my flash drive to the USB 3.0 port on the rear panel. I've tested all ports and the speed is the same. I get the speed number from the Windows dialog box that pops up when transferring files. It takes about 7 minutes to transfer 1.84 GB of data. I don't think it should take that long for USB 3.0.

Quote Originally Posted by THC2050 View Post
    I bought a Rosewill PCI-e USB 3.0 card and I get the same speeds with it.
    ..... then later was said

I connect my flash drive to the USB 3.0 port on the rear panel. I've tested all ports and the speed is the same.
    In my eyes, in reading those two quotes, that's pretty indicative of it quite possibly being your 8GB Data Traveler that's the root of your issue. Or possibly the file sizes/types as parsec implies.

Create an ISO of a DVD that's under ~7.4GB and retry. That result would be telling.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

I'm using a 8GB Data Traveler (USB 3.0) flash drive. I'm copying Office and PDF files from my SSD to the flash drive. I connect my flash drive to the USB 3.0 port on the rear panel. I've tested all ports and the speed is the same. I get the speed number from the Windows dialog box that pops up when transferring files. It takes about 7 minutes to transfer 1.84 GB of data. I don't think it should take that long for USB 3.0.
    Kingston has nine USB 3.0 flash drives with the name Data Traveler in it, so we don't know which one you have.

USB Drives for personal and business use | Kingston

Looking at the specs of several 8GB USB 3.0 models that are available, the highest rated write speed is 10MB/s. A few models in 8GB capacity don't list a write speed spec for that size.

Small capacity USB flash drives have slower write speeds than larger capacity models do, simply more data storage chips to write to. 8GB is the smallest capacity available in USB 3.0 DataTraveler models, they likely use only one storage chip, so little or no writing done in parallel. Other factors affect flash drive speed, but we don't get into that level of detail on cheap flash drives. Writing is slower than reading, by a large amount except in the more pricey, larger capacity flash drives, above 64GB.

This is my DataTraveler 100 G3, a 64GB model, on my Z87 board's Intel USB 3.0 port:

AsRock Z77 Extreme4 all USB speeds at 6 Mbps.-ssd-kingston-datatraveler-mbs-9-24-2014-png

The test data are 16MB files. I don't run the small file, 4K tests since they take forever on USB flash drives and HDDs. If you did get 10MB/s out of a flash drive with 1/8 the capacity of this one, you'd be doing very, very well.

As usual, the theoretical speed of USB 3.0 is not what we automatically see in the real world, since we add more variables than just the interface capability.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Kingston has nine USB 3.0 flash drives with the name Data Traveler in it, so we don't know which one you have.

USB Drives for personal and business use | Kingston

Looking at the specs of several 8GB USB 3.0 models that are available, the highest rated write speed is 10MB/s. A few models in 8GB capacity don't list a write speed spec for that size.

Small capacity USB flash drives have slower write speeds than larger capacity models do, simply more data storage chips to write to. 8GB is the smallest capacity available in USB 3.0 DataTraveler models, they likely use only one storage chip, so little or no writing done in parallel. Other factors affect flash drive speed, but we don't get into that level of detail on cheap flash drives. Writing is slower than reading, by a large amount except in the more pricey, larger capacity flash drives, above 64GB.

This is my DataTraveler 100 G3, a 64GB model, on my Z87 board's Intel USB 3.0 port:

AsRock Z77 Extreme4 all USB speeds at 6 Mbps.-ssd-kingston-datatraveler-mbs-9-24-2014-png

The test data are 16MB files. I don't run the small file, 4K tests since they take forever on USB flash drives and HDDs. If you did get 10MB/s out of a flash drive with 1/8 the capacity of this one, you'd be doing very, very well.

As usual, the theoretical speed of USB 3.0 is not what we automatically see in the real world, since we add more variables than just the interface capability.

I see. You're right, I think i was misguided by the theoretical speeds of USB 3.0. Looking at the Kingston website, I have the DataTraveler G4 model (8GB). Given your explanation, I will have to upgrade to a larger model to save time transferring data. Thanks for the info parsec.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

The attached ATTO benchmark shows how file size affects usb 3.0 write speeds with an inexpensive, lower end flash drive.

With this drive, the write speeds are three times faster with file sizes that are 32KB and larger.

When it comes to performance, the rule is how fast are you willing to spend.

AsRock Z77 Extreme4 all USB speeds at 6 Mbps.-atto-adata-s102-pro-16gb-usb-flash-drive-p35-ds3l-usb-3-0-port-2012-12-09-png
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

No problem, whomever said, "the devil is in the details" got that so right! My corollary to that is, assume nothing.

If you check Kingston's info page about the DataTraveler G4 model, even the specs and datasheet, they don't provide any data on speed. That is a bad sign, meaning they can't brag about the speed, so don't mention it.

May I suggest a USB 3.0 flash drive that I know is fast and not to expensive, the Patriot Supersonic Pulse 64GB:

http://patriotmemory.com/product/det...d=1344&type=23

If you have a Fry's store near you, I know they carry this model. It's very hard to tell which models are faster, the specs are usually ambiguous.

I just tested one of these the other day, this is the result:

AsRock Z77 Extreme4 all USB speeds at 6 Mbps.-ssd-patriot-supersonic-pulse-z97-usb3-0-mbs-9-21-2014-png

The read speed is right at the limit of what a SATA II SSD would provide, and the write speed of ~100MB/s is great IMO.

I have the same model in 32GB capacity, and it tested as ~78MB/s read, ~20MB/s write, so no where near as good.

I have other USB 3.0 flash drives that are expensive but don't match the speed of this model, by quite a bit. I've also learned this the hard way.

Another tip is that your board has two USB 3.0 interfaces, one from the Intel Z77 chipset, the other from an ASMedia USB 3.0 chip. The Intel USB 3.0 interface is usually faster than the ASMedia, although it can be difficult to determine which USB 3.0 ports are which.

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    The attached ATTO benchmark shows how file size affects usb 3.0 write speeds with an inexpensive, lower end flash drive.

With this drive, the write speeds are three times faster with file sizes that are 32KB and larger.

When it comes to performance, the rule is how fast are you willing to spend.

AsRock Z77 Extreme4 all USB speeds at 6 Mbps.-atto-adata-s102-pro-16gb-usb-flash-drive-p35-ds3l-usb-3-0-port-2012-12-09-png
    Nice one Prof Jim!

Great example of the difference file size makes on transfer speed. This applies to any storage device, HDDs and SSDs included. The ATTO results for HDDs and SSDs will look very similar to this result in general, although the write speeds will be better.

Speaking of HDDs and SSDs, here's a comparison of a 2TB 7200 RPM "SATA III" HDD to a 240GB SATA III SSD. The tests were run on the same PC, same SATA interface (Intel), same SATA driver and SATA mode, and same OS:

AsRock Z77 Extreme4 all USB speeds at 6 Mbps.-hdd-vs-ssd-jpg

While the sequential read and write speeds are faster and look impressive on the SSD, what matters more is the small file, 4K speed, which is a much more common access.

The SSD is 55 times faster than the HDD reading 4KB files. The HDD cannot even manage 1MB/s 4KB read speed. The HDD was almost empty when I ran that test, and did not have an OS on it, so was using the fastest areas of its platters.

What surprises me is, even with AHCI/NCQ enabled, the HDD barely shows any increase in read speed in the high queue depth (4K-64Thrd) test.

Also not the file read access time of the SSD is 563 times faster than the HDD. A one figure access time is very simplistic, since that also varies, but is a good basic example.

It's a shame that HDD technology is stuck at these speeds. Note that this HDD is said to be "SATA III", and it is but only between the SATA interface and it's 64MB memory buffer. Otherwise, its sequential read speed is 100MB/s below real world SATA II speeds.

Off topic, couldn't resist...

Thread Information