Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Suggested DDR3 for H97m-ITX/ac

Default Suggested DDR3 for H97m-ITX/ac

As title, trying to find reasonably priced ram for this MB, 1333 will do, but 1600 for not much more is better....ITX board so preferably low profile because CPU cooler options limited, case will be tight and LP RAM will take ram obstruction out of the equation. Not imperative, but desirable. 2X4 dual option or 2x2

SandsOfTime is offline Member

Default Re: Suggested DDR3 for H97m-ITX/ac

I have an 8 GB (2x4) DDR3-1600 Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP kit on my Z97E-ITX/ac, which works flawless. The modules are only 25.5mm (1 inch) in height. The exact name of this kit is: BLT2C4G3D1608ET3LX0CEU. 1600 is not more expensive than 1333, or even cheaper.

Thanks for response. I will look into that RAM. Interested in what else you have in that build, case, CPU & cooler etc..

It's no secret, the hardware of that build is:

Mobo: ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac
    CPU: Core i3 4150
    Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i
    RAM: 8 GB (2x4) DDR3-1600 Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP
    SSD: Crucial C300 120GB (used part from my main system)
    HDD: HGST Travelstar 5K1500 HTS541515A9E630 1.5TB 2.5"
    Case: Silverstone ML06
    PSU: Silverstone ST30SF semi-fanless
    Case fans: 2 x bequiet Shadow Wings 80 mm PWM
    TV card: Digital Devices twin tuner card with Flex CI module

Currently I'm struggling to combine the tv viewer software (DVBViewer), EventGhost and a remote control to an easy to use digital receiver for my hifi+tv rack.

My build will be in a smaller case than that..not decided which one yet.
    You know the board , , the rest of it .......
    Pentium g3258
    Samsug 840 Pro 128GB boot
    Samsung Evo 250GB storage
    RAM DDR1600 .... to decide, between Ripjaws, HyperX and Crucial as suggested here
    Same noctu CPU cooler as yours but with the optional 25mm fan
    Case fans to be decided...........must be long term silent, so top quality items.
    No discrete GPU, use Intel HD graphics.. These are much reduced versions of HD4000 etc in the Pentiums and Celerons, but will probably do. If not then a middling power passive unit. Radeon rather than Nvidia. Personal choice.
    PSU will be 120 laptop brick with a 24 pin mounting power board...most efficient use of room. Plus keep units that generate heat outside the enclosure.
    First mini itx build, so learning.
    Purpose of build? Just wanted to build one. Probably end up as a netflix/Youtube/Google/etc box until I get a Z97, then cube case, more cooling and clock the pentium on that setup
    Last edited by stree; 09-28-2014 at 02:46 AM.

It's my first mini itx build too. I'm quite happy with the Silverstone psu, because there was never enough temperature or power consumption to turn it's fan on. The loudest part in this build is the hdd. The case fans are around 500 rpm, this is not audible.
    Ripjaws are excellent, I have two 8GB F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL kits in my Z77 main system.

You have some nice kit altogether. I am on a very tight budget, and I have to accommodate that fact into what I am able to build. I try to get most effective kit for the least money, although that tends to be a generation or two ( or more!) behind.
    Example:
    I have just completed one that will replace my Phenom X 4 955BE with 2 X 4gb of AMD Gaming DDR3 1333, Sansung 84Pro boot and 250 EVO data, Radeon 4850 GPU ( I got this because it was the highest rated passive GPU, and not a bad card by any means.) CPU cooler is an Arctic Freezer Pro Rev2... It all sits in an Antec Solo Mk1 with a Seasonic M112 650watt fully modular. Plus a Gigabyte 970 something or other. Performs well, and near silent.....Been powered on 24-7 for over 2 years.
    This sits under my desk.
    To replace this I have just built another tower, spurred on initially by the fact that I was given an old Lian Li P60, in almost pristine complete condition.Beautiful quality tool free all aluminium case.
    I decided to go Intel on this one, I alternate, AMD, Intel AMD, Intel.........First step was a SH i5 3570K........ Unboxed, inspected then reboxed.unused 3 months, for HTPC box that never happened. 85,
    then a "B" grade X display Gigabyte Z77X D3h, 60, PSU Is a Beaut, Seasonic 400 fanless fully modular, used less than a year for HTPC 65 13 months warranty remaining!
    The ripjaws I mentioned were with the duff MB that came with the Lian Li, Samsung 128 EVO X display 60. BeQuiet Silent WIngs 120 case fan, on offer 6.....bargain bin slim round latched Sata6 cables V cheap from Germany, free shipping, Win 7 Pro 64 bit OEM also from Germany( CD, not download) about 35.......................Using HD4000 graphics so no GPU
    Only new item is the Arctic Freezer Pro Rev2 CPU cooler. As you might guess, I like these, silent for 2 years, then buy another for 15 and just swap fans...Got a pile of brand new heatsinks and clip sets!
    So all in all, not an expensive rig and it boots to desktop in 6 second, and that before I put the Samsung in Rapid mode. It is Also DEAD silent.....uncannily so.
    Call me a cheapskate , but I am happier with this than throwing money at a shop for a prebuilt...
    So now thats done I am itching for the next build, and thats what decided the HTPC

Thread Information