Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 Dual Channel Problems




  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3

    Default ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 Dual Channel Problems

    I built my current PC back in 2012, and I never had any problems with it up until a month ago.One day I noticed that after I shut it down all my lights and fans were still running, the next thing i knew I was getting BSODs, and I couldn't boot up windows.I then started getting error code 55 which means something is up with the RAM, I ran Memtest on all the sticks by themselves no problem, but in dual channel it just crashes.I read online, and I found out people have similar problems, and that it could be bent CPU pin.It had been running fine for 2 years, but I looked and didn't see anything, so I RMAd the Mobo.I got a new board back from ASRock, but I'm having the same problems, sometimes some RAM slots don't work even in single mode.I checked for bent pins, and didn't see any again.At this point I am not sure if the RAM is bad or my CPU memory controller in going.I'll take any help I can get, and any input is appreciated, I'm at wits end with this PC.

    My Build
    ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
    3570K @ 3.4 GHz
    G.Skill Sniper 2x4GB DDR3 1600
    Samsung 830 SSD 256GB
    WD Caviar Black 1TB
    GTX 670 FTW
    GTX 470 SC
    Corsair TX 750

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,675

    Default Re: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 Dual Channel Problems

    In the OS, using the likes of HWiNFO or such, check the mem voltage. And other voltages too.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

    #2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

    #3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

  3. #3
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 Dual Channel Problems

    First, ^^ this above ^^.

    Things change, problems happen suddenly, many times without warning. We may think nothing changed in our PC, but if Windows is configured to automatically apply updates to it and other software, those things do change.

    Do you use your own BIOS option settings, or use defaults and Auto settings?

    Are you running any over clock of the CPU or memory, now or in the past?

    What CPU cooler are you using? What PC case do you have, and do you have extra fans to remove the heat from the two video cards? Do you use them at the same time?

    So memtest crashes in dual channel mode, with the two 4GB DIMMs you use? Which slots do you use, slots A2 and B2?

    POST code 55 means the memory is not detected. Were you using a XMP profile? Ever try setting the memory speed to a lower value, say 1333 or 1066 for a test?

    Intel has a processor diagnostic utility you can download here:

    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...ng&ProdId=3425

    Please note that this program requires several software packages be installed on the PC. Those are listed on the download page above, and in the Release Notes and Read Me files. The Release Notes file contains links to the software that must be installed. Also note that this test should be run in verification mode for your situation. There are also several CPU features that must be configured in a certain way before running the test. All that is described in the help document on the download page above.

    I cannot guarantee that this test will accurately diagnose if your CPU has a memory controller problem. You may feel it is a lot of work simply setting up this test, and not worth it. I'm just offering this as an option.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 Dual Channel Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    First, ^^ this above ^^.

    Things change, problems happen suddenly, many times without warning. We may think nothing changed in our PC, but if Windows is configured to automatically apply updates to it and other software, those things do change.

    Do you use your own BIOS option settings, or use defaults and Auto settings?

    Are you running any over clock of the CPU or memory, now or in the past?
    I was using my own settings, because I overclocked my CPU, but that was on the old board, ASRock sent me a new one.Right now I have everything on default except for RAM voltage and CPUVTT

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    What CPU cooler are you using? What PC case do you have, and do you have extra fans to remove the heat from the two video cards? Do you use them at the same time?
    I have a Noctua NH-D14, a HAF X, and I dont have any extra fans for the GPUs.The 670 is the main card, and the 470 is for Physx.

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    So memtest crashes in dual channel mode, with the two 4GB DIMMs you use? Which slots do you use, slots A2 and B2?

    POST code 55 means the memory is not detected. Were you using a XMP profile? Ever try setting the memory speed to a lower value, say 1333 or 1066 for a test?

    Intel has a processor diagnostic utility you can download here:

    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...ng&ProdId=3425

    Please note that this program requires several software packages be installed on the PC. Those are listed on the download page above, and in the Release Notes and Read Me files. The Release Notes file contains links to the software that must be installed. Also note that this test should be run in verification mode for your situation. There are also several CPU features that must be configured in a certain way before running the test. All that is described in the help document on the download page above.

    I cannot guarantee that this test will accurately diagnose if your CPU has a memory controller problem. You may feel it is a lot of work simply setting up this test, and not worth it. I'm just offering this as an option.
    Yeah it seems to fail in dual channel and they were on A2/B2, I'll try what you said if my PC crashes again, I've been running Prime95 with the changes I made to the voltage, and it seems to be running right now.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 Dual Channel Problems

    I RMAd the board, and the RAM and now I get these crashes with no blue screens.Is it possible the CPU is done for?



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •