Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock Z87E memory error

Unhappy ASRock Z87E memory error

Hi all,

I recently opened an ASRock Z87E that had been sitting new/unopened in a box under my desk. I am receiving the following error on boot:

"The following Channel memory did not pass CPU memory test. Please remove the memory then plug again. Channel A."

Here's what I have done to try to resolve it:

• Reseated the stick in Channel A (failure)
    • Swapped memory sticks between Channel A/B (failure)
    • Booted with only one stick in Channel A (failure)
    • Booted with only one stick in Channel B (success with both sticks)
    • Ensured there is no dust in the slots (can't be, this thing is brand new...I dusted it anyway, no dice)
    • Reset CMOS using button on back of motherboard
    • Reseated the CPU, looked for bent pins but didn't notice any

The RAM I am using is "Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3-1600 1.35V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory Modules BLS2C4G3D1609ES2LX0".

Any ideas? It seems like the memory slot is dead, although strangely the "System Browser" in the BIOS is showing both sticks!
    Last edited by klatox; 10-04-2014 at 12:36 PM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ASRock Z87E memory error

I'm curious about what is generating that error message, does it happen during POST, before the POST single beep, and before you can enter the BIOS UI? I don't think it would happen during the actual OS boot.

Is that error message displayed and then the PC continues to boot, or what happens? Do you ever get into the OS? If so, how much memory is recognized?

There are zero Crucial products in the memory support list of this board, FWIW.

The slot cannot be dead if System browser can detect a DIMM inserted in that channel. I'm wondering if a compatibility problem is causing the error in channel A, which then does not continue with channel B. That would explain why both DIMMs fail in channel A.

Did you check the memory voltage in the BIOS? If it is auto set to 1.35V, try increasing it to 1.5V. If below 1.35V, then set it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I'm curious about what is generating that error message, does it happen during POST, before the POST single beep, and before you can enter the BIOS UI? I don't think it would happen during the actual OS boot.

Is that error message displayed and then the PC continues to boot, or what happens? Do you ever get into the OS? If so, how much memory is recognized?

There are zero Crucial products in the memory support list of this board, FWIW.

The slot cannot be dead if System browser can detect a DIMM inserted in that channel. I'm wondering if a compatibility problem is causing the error in channel A, which then does not continue with channel B. That would explain why both DIMMs fail in channel A.

Did you check the memory voltage in the BIOS? If it is auto set to 1.35V, try increasing it to 1.5V. If below 1.35V, then set it correctly.
    Yep I tried both 1.35 and 1.5. I just threw an ASUS Z97I-Plus unit in my case, both memory sticks are reading correctly.

i am using the same memory modules with the same motherboard. i've been having weird problems with this combination. there are reviews on Newegg about this motherboard having (or developing) bad memory banks. i will add more info, including a screen capture of one memory bank related error i saw on my system, later (very late at night)...

Thread Information