Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z97 Extreme6 Corsair H80i installation problem

kephafan is offline Junior Member

Default Z97 Extreme6 Corsair H80i installation problem

Hello,
    After installing the Corsair H80i Intel bracket on the mobo and tightening the stand-offs finger tight until the threads stop on the bracket, I still have some movement
    from the bracket. I made sure to use the provided spacers with the stand-offs and made sure the bracket spacers were in place. Should I use another spacer on the
    bracket?
    ASRock Z97 Extreme6 ATX LGA 1150--Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0 GHz Quad-Core LGA 1150--EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC 2.0 ACX GPU--Corsair H80i 120mm Liquid Cooler--Kingston HyperX Predator Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-2666--EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80+ Gold Modular--Thermaltake Overseer RX-I ATX Full Tower--Crucial MX100 128GB SATA III MLC 2.5" SSD--Crucial MX100 256GB SATA III MLC 2.5" SSD--WD 500GB 3.5" 7200 RPM HDD--WD My Book 4TB External HD--Windows 10--1 extra top-mount Thermaltake 200mm Blue LED exhaust fan.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Z97 Extreme6 Corsair H80i installation problem

Quote Originally Posted by kephafan View Post
    Hello,
    After installing the Corsair H80i Intel bracket on the mobo and tightening the stand-offs finger tight until the threads stop on the bracket, I still have some movement
    from the bracket. I made sure to use the provided spacers with the stand-offs and made sure the bracket spacers were in place. Should I use another spacer on the
    bracket?
    What you described can happen, depending upon the thickness of the mother board. I've had this happen to several boards that I use with Corsair H-series AIO liquid coolers. Once the standoffs have reached the limit of their threads, the Corsair backplate (Intel bracket) is not held in place securely against the board or the CPU socket backplate. This is so common, a quick search provided a decent picture:

Z97 Extreme6 Corsair H80i installation problem-corsair-h80i-backplate-gap-jpg

One thing to check first is the Corsair backplate must be oriented in only one way on top of the CPU socket backplate. The CPU socket backplate has two screws near its top, and the Corsair backplate has two notches that prevents those screws from interfering with the Corsair backplate. It sounds like you have the Corsair backplate mounted correctly, but check this if you did not notice the notches and screws during the installation.

The loose backplate is caused by the part of the backplate spacers that fits into the four holes in the board. If you hold the backplate in place with your hand, or with one or two standoffs, you'll see that small part of the spacer sticking up above the surface of the board. Ideally that part of the spacer should be level or slightly below surface of the board. The standoff is actually contacting that part of the spacer, and not the board.

FYI, Corsair has said the gap or "play" with the standoff does not matter, and the backplate will be tight against the board after the pump is tightened down. IMO, I want the standoff contacting the board, not the top of the spacer. Since the body of the standoff is the non-adjustable mounting height of the pump and determines the pressure of the copper contact plate onto the CPU, why would we ignore anything that increases the mounting height, even if it is one mm or less?

Fortunately the fix is easy, all you need is four washers. But, do not put the washers between the top of the board and the standoff, which will cause less pressure between the CPU and pump heat plate. Lift off the thin plastic insulator on the backplate and slip a washer over the spacer, and replace the insulator. A typical thickness washer is fine, the exact thickness does not matter. All you want to do is get the top of the spacer below the top surface of the board, when the spacer is pressed tight against the bottom of the board. Four equal thickness washers is the main requirement.

Or if you are handy, the spacer is actually two pieces, the threaded portion that passes through the backplate is one piece, and what is really a thick plastic washer/spacer holds the threaded portion in place. That washer/spacer can be carefully removed, and the added washer placed over the threaded portion, and replace the plastic spacer. That is how I've done it, but I'm OCD about things like this.

Parsec,
    Thank you for your detailed response. I printed your post and read it a couple times to make sure I understood it. I had positioned the backplate correctly but because of the Corsair manuals diagram which looked like it shows spacers, I did include spacers under the standoffs which I promptly removed. (The info in the manual is sparse.) After doing what you suggested, the part that the standoff screws into is now even with the mobo. Perfect! (You would think Corsair would mention the space left between the standoff and the mobo as being normal.)
    ASRock Z97 Extreme6 ATX LGA 1150--Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0 GHz Quad-Core LGA 1150--EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC 2.0 ACX GPU--Corsair H80i 120mm Liquid Cooler--Kingston HyperX Predator Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-2666--EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80+ Gold Modular--Thermaltake Overseer RX-I ATX Full Tower--Crucial MX100 128GB SATA III MLC 2.5" SSD--Crucial MX100 256GB SATA III MLC 2.5" SSD--WD 500GB 3.5" 7200 RPM HDD--WD My Book 4TB External HD--Windows 10--1 extra top-mount Thermaltake 200mm Blue LED exhaust fan.

Great, glad that helped! No modification necessary, lucky you, I add the washers on my Z97 EX 6, but I'm using an older version, an H80.

Yes, the instructions are Corsair's attempt at a universal, one version fits all languages, which is difficult and can't be detailed.

That comment by Corsair about the gap/loose backplate was in their cooling forum, several years ago when myself and others were discussing it in a thread or two. While posted by a Corsair rep, it was not included in any of the guides they had in that forum, as least at that time.

Oh, I wasn't clear, sorry. I DID have to do the modification you suggested by adding a washer on the spacer/backplate side. That's what made it all line up.

Ok, thanks for letting me know, I see now where you did say what you did in your earlier post. My mistake.

I've done the washer fix on almost every H series cooler I've used. My older X58 board did not need the washers on the backplate spacers.

It seems Corsair has not changed the design (length) of the threaded portion of the spacer on the backplate in their newer models, like your H80i. That part must work with many different boards and CPU socket backplates, and if it was to short it would not work at all.

Given what I have seen, the trend is thinner mother boards, supposedly due to stronger materials that can be made thinner for the same strength. Hopefully that is true.

Okay, thank you again Parsec!
    Now, I do have another question. I used my fingers and then a screwdriver on the cpu bracket thumb screws in an "X" pattern. Do I tighten them until they stop turning (is that the design)? I don't want to do any damage to the cpu. Obviously, this is my first cooler install.
    Thanks
    Last edited by kephafan; 10-06-2014 at 09:28 PM. Reason: leave out signature

CPU coolers mount in many different ways, so there isn't one correct answer for all of them. For example, some have screws with springs that apply pressure on the CPU, which can be adjusted.

For Corsair H coolers like yours and mine, you tighten the thumb screws until the the four tabs of the pump mounting bracket are in contact with the top of the standoffs. That would normally be when the screws seem tight. Hard to find a good picture of that, this one is not bad:

Z97 Extreme6 Corsair H80i installation problem-h80i_motherboard_detail-jpg

The pump mounting bracket tabs, seen here between the standoffs and thumbscrews, should be touching the flat top of the standoffs.

If the tabs were not touching the top of the standoffs, then it might be a little harder to turn the thumb screws as they push the tab down. But once the tab is in contact with the standoff, the thumbscrews will feel tight and stop turning. There is no need to tighten them a lot, because the tabs have no where to go. The standoffs limit how much pressure can be put on the CPU's top, when the tabs meet the standoffs, that's as far as they can go.

Does that make sense?

Thread Information