Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: B85M-ITX sometimes freezes at ASRock Logo

Default B85M-ITX sometimes freezes at ASRock Logo

I have the B85M-ITX and I have been having this problem maybe from since the day I got it. I am using Windows 8.1 with a Corsair Force 3 SSD plus 3 hard drives and sometimes the PC freezes on the AsRock logo when I reboot. If I turn it off then back on then it will boot fine and I have no issues once in Windows.

I have the latest bios and using it with an i3 plus 8GB of ram. I have tested all the hard drives and even the memory and all have no issues. I even changed the power supply and that didn't change anything.
    Last edited by Deihmos; 10-06-2014 at 12:47 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default re: B85M-ITX sometimes freezes at ASRock Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Deihmos View Post
    I have the B85M-ITX and I have been having this problem maybe from since the day I got it. I am using Windows 8.1 with a Corsair Force 3 SSD plus 3 hard drives and sometimes the PC freezes on the Asus logo when I reboot. If I turn it off then back on then it will boot fine and I have no issues once in Windows.

I have the latest bios and using it with an i3 plus 8GB of ram. I have tested all the hard drives and even the memory and all have no issues. I even changed the power supply and that didn't change anything.
    That is crazy, your ASRock board freezes on the Asus logo... sorry, could not resist.

Any intermittent problem is difficult to diagnose. When you say reboot, does that mean a cold start from a shutdown, or a restart from Windows?

The only thing that catches my attention is the Corsair Force 3 SSD, which might be suffering with an early SandForce firmware issue. Any idea what firmware version you have, and what the latest version Corsair provides is?

Don't rush to update the firmware if a new version exists, some firmware updates will wipe a SSD clean, and kill your Windows installation.

How did you install drivers in that Win 8.1 installation? Any idea what SATA driver you're using? Any BIOS option changes? Using AHCI mode?

Default Re: B85M-ITX sometimes freezes at ASRock Logo

Maybe a mod can update the title. This is my first Asrock board and I made a mistake. The firmware version is 5.05 and I just checked to find out that Corsair has 5.07. I just did the update and will see if I still have the problem. I installed the intel AHCI driver and did not change much of anything in the bios.

Default re: B85M-ITX sometimes freezes at ASRock Logo

Updating the SSD firmware did not work. Still froze at the ASRock logo. It does not always happen just occasionally.
    Last edited by Deihmos; 10-06-2014 at 01:11 AM.

It turns out disabling HD audio was causing the boot problems. With it enabled I have not had a single issue. Isn't that strange? Why would disabling something I don't use cause this issue?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Yes that seems strange. The default HD audio is actually supplied by the B85 chipset, which may not have liked the HD audio being disabled for some reason. Or that may be a BIOS bug, but almost impossible to know.

Thread Information