Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Cannot turn off USB Headers on AsRock z97 extreme 9

MlogStryker is offline Junior Member

Default Cannot turn off USB Headers on AsRock z97 extreme 9

Hi, This is my first computer I have built and I'm not sure if I have missed something.

I'm using:
    ASRock z97 extreme 9 UEFI v 1.10
    i7 4790k
    nzxt Kraken x41 AIO cooler
    EVGA 780ti
    Corsair Dominator 2x8gb 2133
    Corsair ax 850 power supply

I watched the videos on how to install the nzxt kraken x41 cpu AIO cooler, and it said to not attach the usb connection until after the software is installed. So I didn't make that connection until after I had installed the software. As soon as I made the connection the light on the cooler block lit up. It has not turned off since unless I remove the power from the psu, or switch the psu off. I contacted nzxt about it and they said there should be a "wake from usb device" setting in bios that needs to be turned off.

In the Asrock UEFI I have suspend to ram set to auto, Check Ready Bit & ACPI HPET Table set to Enabled, and all the rest set to disabled (Ps/2 Keyboard Power on, PCIE devices Power On, Wake From Onboard LAN1, Ring-in Power On, RTC Alarm Power On, USB Keyboard/Remote Power On, USB Mouse Power On).

When I put the computer to sleep, and I move my mouse the computer wakes up.

Is there a setting somewhere I missed? And how do I get the usb headers on the motherboard to actually turn off?

On a side note, I have seen alot of posts about sleep settings for s1, s3, s4, s5 but how do you actually choose which sleep setting you want?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    ~Mark

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Cannot turn off USB Headers on AsRock z97 extreme 9

NZXT's response is an over-generalization about BIOS options, I highly doubt you'll find anything like that in your board's BIOS. My ASRock boards do not have an option like that.

The trend for the last few years is to keep USB ports powered up when the PC is shutdown. That would be for charging various devices via USB ports, as well as keeping the mouse or keyboard alive when in Sleep, so the PC can be woke by the keyboard or mouse. There is usually more to disabling a mouse to prevent it from waking a PC, and those settings won't remove power from the USB ports.

If the X41's pump is constantly operating from USB power, that is ridiculous, I hope that only an LED is on when the PC is shutdown. An LED uses very little power, nothing to worry about. Why do you want the LED to be off?

If you want to shut off the USB ports power, you can hopefully do that in Windows. In Device Manager, expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers entry. You'll need to find the Root Hub entries, open their Properties (or any of the others) and look for Power Management. You should see an option that will turn off the device to save power. If they do not have a check next to them, add it. If they have a check now, you may be out of luck.

The main "sleep" states available are S3 (Sleep) and S4 (Windows Hibernate), if the other S-states are not listed in the BIOS, you can't use them.

You choose Sleep or Hibernate in Windows, and configure them on and off. BIOS control for those options is not important.

S1 sleep is useless, and S5 is actually a shutdown PC.

I believe it is just the led on the pump that stays on, not the pump itself (the fan turns off, so i would assume the pump does as well), as the pump gets its power from the cpu fan header, the usb is to transfer info to the software. I just wanted the computer to be fully off when it is shut down, and I know led's last a long time but with this sitting on 24/7 should I not be worried about it burning out?

I found the setting in device manager, but when I chose sleep it did not turn off, maybe hibernate or shutdown will be different.

Thanks for clarifying the sleep states for me, and thanks for the quick reply.

parsec is offline Senior Member

LEDs have very long lives, much more than any standard incandescent light bulb. Think about the LEDs on power conditioners and outlet strips that are on constantly, I can't think of any that I have that have a dead LED.

IMO, NZXT made a mistake connecting the pump's LED to the USB power, IF they don't want the LED to be on constantly. Again IMO, I think that was done purposely. Most mother boards will keep USB ports powered up when the PC is shutdown, and turning off the power will take some configuration, if it is even possible.

Frankly, I can't get the power from the USB ports on my ASRock boards to shut off with any setting in the BIOS or Windows. I have that setting in Device Manager set, but it makes no difference. But I have a work around for you that hopefully won't interfere with the NZXT software interface with the USB connection. I use this myself in some situations.

Find a multiple port USB hub with a power switch. The hubs I use have one or more LEDs (HA!) and at least one power switch. I've been seeing more of this type in stores lately, a need being filled by manufactures?

Cannot turn off USB Headers on AsRock z97 extreme 9-power_strip_styled_4port_usb_hub_with_independent_switches_4-jpg

I mentioned the NZXT software because occasionally USB hubs can cause problems, mainly because a signal is being passed between many connections without any buffering. You'll probably have no problem, just mentioning it in case it happens. Try to use an Intel USB port, any of the USB 2.0 ports will be supplied by the Intel chipset.

Don't get me wrong, but I think you have a little case of "my first PC build and she's my baby" going on. I get it, you want everything perfect and not being used or abused for no reason. I still do that to a degree, but believe me, the honeymoon was over a long time ago...

I think you are spot on parsec, it is my baby and I do want it to be perfect :)

That usb hub would work if the nzxt cooler had a standard usb connection, but it connects to the usb header on the mobo. There must be an adapter for usb header to usb periferial but I think I will just have to get used to this awesome glow from inside the case, even when all the power is off.

Thanks for providing a possible solution though.

Thread Information