Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z97 Extreme6 : VCore sensor/values ?

Default Z97 Extreme6 : VCore sensor/values ?

Hello, nice to meet you all!

A week ago I have purchased an ASRock Z97 Extreme6 motherboard together with an Intel i7 4790K. I would like to overclock my system a bit.
    The problem is that I cannot find the VCore value in any popular monitoring tool that I have used! HWiNFO64 does not show the real-time accurate VCore value, as its author says, and neither does the latest version of AIDA64 or even HW Monitor.

My question is this: does the Z97 Extreme6 actually have a sensor for Vcore and does this sensor measure it accurately? A-Tuning suite shows a value called "VCore Volt." Is this the accurate real-time Vcore, then?

And another issue I've observed recently. It has to do with the speed (or the power) of CPU_1 & 2 fans. When my system is on Optimal Defaults (F9), CPU_1&2 fan connectors seem to function properly: "Standard", "Silent" and "Performance" profiles do differ from one another. As soon as I will change a few voltage settings though, to overclock a bit, or even when I select one of the ready-made o/c profiles from the BIOS, like "Turbo 4.6" for example, the CPU fans change to maximum speed (or power) and selecting the "Standard" fan profile does not work any more! Silent and Performance still work. Standard though becomes Full Speed.

Thank you very much in advance for any help! The MOST important matter for me is the accurate measurement of the VCore value. It is my first time ever that I own an ASRock product. IF it will be proven that my motherboard cannot read and show the accurate real-time VCore I will return it. Because otherwise I will not be able to o/c my K processor.

Looking forward to your replies, thank you very much!

Default Re: Z97 Extreme6 : VCore sensor/values ?

Anyone, please?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Patience please, we are not all on the same schedule, location, and time zone as you are, whatever that is.

Most ASRock Haswell processor boards (Intel 8 and 9 series chipsets) provide a sensor reading for VIDs only. Given the internal voltage regulators of Haswell processors, the actual core voltages are not readily available as they are with earlier Intel processors. Haswell VCore voltages are created by the internal FIVR circuitry, not by the board's voltage regulators.

Apparently some other mother board manufactures have added the ability to monitor the internal VCore voltage. The main indication of a difference in this voltage reading is during CPU idle conditions with all CPU power saving options enabled. That Vcore value is very low, ~0.250V, compared to the lowest VIDs seen, ~0.650V.

The ASRock Z97 OC Formula board may have this ability, but I don't have experience with it.

How accurate are those VCore readings? Who knows, but they are accepted by users. Some boards have voltage measurement points which include a VCore reading, as the Z97 OC Formula does. That VCore voltage is still somehow derived from the Haswell processor itself, and must be the same one used for the VCore reading.

Personally, I don't let the lack of a true VCore reading prevent me from over clocking. If you are a hardcore OC enthusiast, going for the highest OC possible as a hobby, then you may feel different.

The change in the CPU fan speed settings is done automatically when an auto OC option is selected, or when manual settings exceed a certain threshold. That is done to protect users that don't know better. I've found if you use the CPU Custom fan profile, that will override any automatic setting changes.

@parsec

Thank you for your answer!

Do you happen to know what the "Vcore Volt." value in A-Tuning utility represents?

PowerPie5000 is offline Junior Member

My Asrock Z97 Extreme4 is showing the Vcore as 1.112v in the H/W Monitor section of the bios. Other software shows my Vcore as 0.9v and my VID can be anything from 0.8v to 1.26v depending on the load and core speed.

Quote Originally Posted by i-Solaris View Post
    Do you happen to know what the "Vcore Volt." value in A-Tuning utility represents?
    I know mine is set to adaptive by default and it adds a bit of extra voltage under load and minimises voltage when it's idle. You can use override mode and specify your own voltage, but I think the CPU will be fixed at that voltage no matter if it's under load or idle.
    Last edited by PowerPie5000; 10-09-2014 at 05:14 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by i-Solaris View Post
    @parsec

Thank you for your answer!

As I said above, it is the CPU VID.

It is updated at A-Tuning's sampling rate, which I think is every two seconds.

The CPU VID will normally be more than the actual CPU core voltage is, and the actual CPU core voltage will never be more than the CPU VID.

Thread Information