Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A-Tuning Version 2.0.112.3 For Z97 Extreme 6 OC Tweaker Error

Default Re: A-Tuning Version 2.0.112.3 For Z97 Extreme 6 OC Tweaker Error

Dear Parsec,
    Hi, I’m Davis from ASRock HQ TSD.
    Sorry for later reply.

I have tested this symptom as below configuration, but cannot see it.
    CPU: i5-4690K
    M/B: Z97 Extreme6
    BIOS: P1.40(latest)
    Memory: G-skill DDR3-1600
    A-Tuning: ver 2.0.112.3

We adjusted CPU Ratio to 36 on all core and CPU Cache Ratio to 34 in BIOS, and enable A-Tuning.
    It shows as below snap shot, please refer it.
    A-Tuning Version 2.0.112.3 For Z97 Extreme 6 OC Tweaker Error-tuning-jpg
    However, we provide few ways for you.
    1. Please re-install A-Tuning for try.
    2. We provide the latest A-Tuning version(2.0.214) for you to verify.
    Please refer below link to download it for try. https://mega.co.nz/#!e59ljD5b!xaSGzl...fTulYPrMEjEFak
    If the symptom still exist, please provide what value you have set in BIOS to us for checking.
    Thank you.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Hi Davis,

Thanks to you and ASRock for looking into what I talked about in this thread. I will try the new version of A-Tuning that you provided, thank you for that.

The settings in the UEFI you described above did not cause the issue in A-Tuning ver:2.0.112.3, in the OC Tweaker screen. Note that this is not the new version.

But, the UEFI settings in the OC Tweaker screen (not A-Tuning) that I used are not the same as the ones ASRock used to test OC Tweaker in A-Tuning.

I should have described the settings I was using in the UEFI in better detail than I did in my first post, I apologize for that. I will do that now.

These are the OC Tweaker screen settings I used when I saw the issue in A-Tuning I described:

A-Tuning Version 2.0.112.3 For Z97 Extreme 6 OC Tweaker Error-oc-tweaker-jpg

I also used settings in Advanced > CPU Configuration that are important. I have all the CPU C State options set to Enabled. Package C State support is set to C7.

I was using Adaptive Voltage for the CPU cores, and the core speeds will drop to 800MHz when the CPU is idle when using these settings.

With these settings in the UEFI, and the CPU slowing to 800MHz at idle, I then started A-Tuning and found the CPU Ratio set to 16. If you have any questions about other UEFI settings, please let me know.

I will try the new version of A-Tuning today with the UEFI settings I described above, and post the results.

PowerPie5000 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Yes, setting Core and Cache ratios to Auto causes both to operate at the highest core ratio, on Auto that is 3.8GHz for my i5-4670K.
    So it confirms my CPU and cache should both hit 4.4GHz if everything is left on auto, instead of 4.4GHz for the CPU and 4.0GHz for the cache... Unless there's something different about Devil's Canyon?

ASRock thinks your IME firmware is corrupted? Unusual but possible.
    They didn't specifically say it's corrupted, but they want to rule out any IME problems (maybe it's a bad or older version?). Not figured out how to check my IME firmware version yet as it doesn't' show it in the BIOS.

You do have the Intel IME software installed, right? Without it over clocking can fail.
    I have Intel Management Engine Components version 10.0.25.1036 installed (Windows 8.1 64-bit)... Asrock seem to have an older version on their website for this board (10.0.0.1204). Not sure if the older version would make any difference? Overclocking seems to work fine with my system, although I only overclock it for benchmarking and not for every day use.

I just noticed that the latest HWiNFO64 beta (v4.47-2333) changed VIN6 to VCore, on my Z97 EX 6 board. My reading is also above that of the maximum core VID being displayed, and that is not during a stress test when AVX instructions are being run. I use Adaptive voltage. Time to ask Martin (HWiNFO author) what he had in mind.

I do have a new "CPU Cache" reading, whose value seems reasonable but could be a VID, and most likely is.

You are right about a VID being always greater than a VCore value, at least it should be or something is wrong with the board's VCore voltage output. The final VCore voltage is created inside a Haswell processor, so not a board issue, if there was one.

I would be surprised if HWiNFO64 had a true VCore reading from our boards, A-Tuning shows VIDs now, and so does the UEFI.

The new CPU Cache reading in HWinfo is perfect with mine. The CPU cache is set to 1.200V by default (auto) in the bios and it reaches 1.200V under load according to HWinfo... The reading seems spot on to me, although the default cache voltage of 1.200V might be a tad high.

The VID reading in HWinfo reaches 1.263V per core in turbo mode (4.4GHz) and the Vcore reading reaches 1.288V. The "Vcore Volt" reading in A-tuning reaches 1.249V under load so it doesn't really match up with any HWinfo readings.

Strangely it's the render test in GPU-Z that causes the Vcore reading to hit 1.249V in A-Tuning... Any other test and the Vcore reading sits around 1.180V.

EDIT: HWinfo shows my current Intel ME firmware version as "V9.1, Build 1010, Hotfix 2".

MEinfo Tool shows the firmware version as 9.1.2.1010 H and also shows the MEI driver version as 10.0.20.1258 (I've not installed the new BIOS chip yet).
    Last edited by PowerPie5000; 10-25-2014 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
    So it confirms my CPU and cache should both hit 4.4GHz if everything is left on auto, instead of 4.4GHz for the CPU and 4.0GHz for the cache... Unless there's something different about Devil's Canyon? ...
    I was going to say try HWiNFO for the IME firmware version. My Z97 EX 6 board has the same IME firmware: Intel ME Version: v9.1, Build 1010, Hotfix 2.

The Intel Management Engine Components (IME software) I have is also version 10.0.25.1036. I am sure that I used the 10.0.0.1204 installer on our board's download page, but when I installed Intel's IXTU software, the IME software was updated to 10.0.25.1036. You have IXTU installed or did at one time, correct?

I've never read about any Devils Canyon processor cache speed/multiplier limitation, which would be a major topic in any Intel CPU forum.

Actually, it just struck me what might be happening in your situation. One thing that might not be a coincidence is: What is the standard clock of an i7-4790K? 4.0GHz. Turbo speed is 4.4GHz. First some questions:

Do you see the 44 core ratio and 40 cache ratio (uncore status) in the HWiNFO System Summary display?

I would also try IXTU and see what the settings are in the Manual Tuning, All Controls section. When using Auto in the UEFI, you don't see the usual multiplier/core ratio displayed, right?

Have you reflashed the UEFI to 1.40, maybe the CPU microcode was corrupted somehow, causing the issue.

Did a quick and dirty OC to 44 on my board and CPU, have not done that yet in UEFI 1.40. My cache goes to 44 when set to 44 as you can see:

A-Tuning Version 2.0.112.3 For Z97 Extreme 6 OC Tweaker Error-hwinfo-4-4ghz-jpg

Note the "VCore" and "CPU Cache" readings at the bottom of the Sensor display. I'm not at all sure they are right.

I was going to say try HWiNFO for the IME firmware version. My Z97 EX 6 board has the same IME firmware: Intel ME Version: v9.1, Build 1010, Hotfix 2.

The Intel Management Engine Components (IME software) I have is also version 10.0.25.1036. I am sure that I used the 10.0.0.1204 installer on our board's download page, but when I installed Intel's IXTU software, the IME software was updated to 10.0.25.1036. You have IXTU installed or did at one time, correct?

I've never read about any Devils Canyon processor cache speed/multiplier limitation, which would be a major topic in any Intel CPU forum.

Actually, it just struck me what might be happening in your situation. One thing that might not be a coincidence is: What is the standard clock of an i7-4790K? 4.0GHz. Turbo speed is 4.4GHz. First some questions:

Do you see the 44 core ratio and 40 cache ratio (uncore status) in the HWiNFO System Summary display?

I would also try IXTU and see what the settings are in the Manual Tuning, All Controls section. When using Auto in the UEFI, you don't see the usual multiplier/core ratio displayed, right?

Have you reflashed the UEFI to 1.40, maybe the CPU microcode was corrupted somehow, causing the issue.

The latest UEFI is 1.30 for my board at the moment.

I have the latest version of IXTU installed and it shows x44 as the Cache ratio. HWinfo also shows x44 as the max Uncore ratio and below it shows the Uncore Status which only reaches x40 under load. I've seen a couple of HWinfo screenshots from other people that show the CPU running at 4.4GHz and the cache/uncore running at 4.0GHz... One was a Gigabyte board so I know it's not just an Asrock thing.

Strange how it doesn't show the CPU Status...

Note the "VCore" and "CPU Cache" readings at the bottom of the Sensor display. I'm not at all sure they are right.
    I'd say that Vcore reading is definitely wrong! The Cache voltage looks quite high, but it could actually be right if the voltage is left on auto when overclocking... I wouldn't be comfortable with it that high!
    Last edited by PowerPie5000; 10-25-2014 at 08:00 PM.

Why am I thinking you have an Extreme 6, you have an Extreme 4! Not that it makes any significant difference, but our UEFIs use different code so we cannot equate their operation.

Your cache (uncore) speed and multiplier/ratio setting is weird stuff, I do not get what is happening. If IXTU and HWiNFO confirm those things, it's a fact, Jack.

The other boards where you saw the cache ratio set to 44 but running at 40 (4.0GHz) were also using an i7-4970K? I'm sure they were, just want to see that in writing.

IMO, if the DC i7-4970K processors were ALL running their cache/uncore at 40 (4.0GHz) with the ratio set above that (44, etc), there would be threads and posts about that all over Intel CPU forums. I'm not saying you are wrong or doing something wrong, just that it would be a major topic if it happened to all i7-4970K users. Maybe I'm missing it... could be... still very weird.

Have you found a strange bug related to some (all?) DC i7-4970K processors? More likely not the processor itself, but the CPU microcode or an internal UEFI/BIOS thing that Intel has a spec for, but is possibly wrong now?

BTW, loose the Auto UEFI settings, and set those ratios to 44 manually and see what happens. You know I must set my CPUs ratios to 44 manually to get them to that speed of course. IMO, this is related to the use of Auto for some reason.

Yes, those VCore and Cache voltage readings in HWiNFO are questionable. The HWiNFO programmer tries very hard to display anything he can correctly, but the info he gets from mobo manufactures is limited or not available. We cannot blame him if those readings are not perfect IMO.

Shoot, gotta go now! Must test that new version of A-Tuning too for ASRock. Keep us (me) updated about this please!

The other boards where you saw the cache ratio set to 44 but running at 40 (4.0GHz) were also using an i7-4970K? I'm sure they were, just want to see that in writing.
    The user in this forum is using a Gigabyte Z97 UD5H along with a 4790K running stock (everything set to auto in the BIOS): Confusing 4790k behavior on Gigabyte Z97 UD5H - [H]ard|Forum.

Here's a HWinfo screenshot from his setup and it shows the same cache/uncore ratio behaviour as mine:

A-Tuning Version 2.0.112.3 For Z97 Extreme 6 OC Tweaker Error-v9x4rko-jpg

I'll have to try and find the couple of others I saw (I was browsing google image results for HWinfo & 4790k).

Have you found a strange bug related to some (all?) DC i7-4970K processors? More likely not the processor itself, but the CPU microcode or an internal UEFI/BIOS thing that Intel has a spec for, but is possibly wrong now?
    It could be possible that not many people have noticed it, especially people who don't OC or even people who jump straight in and manually change the settings.

BTW, loose the Auto UEFI settings, and set those ratios to 44 manually and see what happens. You know I must set my CPUs ratios to 44 manually to get them to that speed of course. IMO, this is related to the use of Auto for some reason.
    I know it works if I manually set the cores and cache to x44 and enable the multi core enhancement, but for some reason it makes all my fans run at 100% speed which is fairly loud! I don't know why this happens?

I'll see what happens if I just change the cache from auto to manual x44.

Shoot, gotta go now! Must test that new version of A-Tuning too for ASRock. Keep us (me) updated about this please!
    Good luck with that. Hopefully they get the real Vcore readings sorted out . Will keep you updated.

Ok I just noticed something in the bios that I didn't notice before! With everything set to auto it shows the "Target CPU Turbo Speed" as 4000MHz (should be 4400MHz)!! This is very strange as it still clocks up to 4.4GHZ in Windows when it's under load! The cache also shows a target speed of 4000MHz.

I just changed the cache ratio manually to x44 and it works.. BUT... The cache/uncore will hit 4.4GHz even if the cores are only running at 4.2 or even 4.3GHz turbo states which means the cache is running faster than the core speeds. Very confusing stuff going on here!
    Last edited by PowerPie5000; 10-26-2014 at 06:11 AM.

More strange findings....

Setting the CPU ratio to "per core" mode automatically sets the CPU turbo and Cache target speeds to 4400MHz (cache still only reaches 4000MHz in Windows though), but also at the same time it increases both Vcore and Cache voltages to 1.272V and changes the LLC from 5 (lowest) to 1 (highest). HWinfo also shows each core VID at a constant 1.249V no matter what speed the cores are running at. Manually changing the CPU settings in the BIOS also makes the fans run at 100% full speed and I can't seem to change this for some reason.

I can't say I find Asrocks EUFI behaviour very amusing. Is it possible I could have a faulty board or even a faulty CPU? I should have some spare time tomorrow so i'll install the new chip if I manage to find my small IC extractor tool.
    Last edited by PowerPie5000; 10-26-2014 at 06:43 AM.

A quick comment about the CPU fan speeds. I've seen similar behavior with other ASRock boards when the CPU multipliers are set at or above the max Turbo speed of the CPU being used. The CPU fan speed option is automatically set to Full On, no doubt as a precaution for users that don't know better and may be using the stock Intel cooler. For those of us that do know better, that can be annoying, but the fix which has always worked for me is something we should know IMO.

I use the Customize setting, which takes some configuration but once done is remembered by the UEFI if you change settings. In my experience the Customize setting is not reset to Full On when the CPU ratio is changed beyond the CPU's Turbo speed.

Of course, I use PWM fans on my CPU coolers so the Customize setting is really meant for those fans.

Thanks for posting all the info, I'll check it out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information