Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A-Tuning Version 2.0.112.3 For Z97 Extreme 6 OC Tweaker Error

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default A-Tuning Version 2.0.112.3 For Z97 Extreme 6 OC Tweaker Error

I'm seeing the same type of mistake in A-Tuning version 2.0.112.3 that I've seen in an earlier version AXTU used with the Z77 Extreme 4 board:

A-Tuning Version 2.0.112.3 For Z97 Extreme 6 OC Tweaker Error-z97-tuning-bug-jpg

This is how the OC Tweaker screen appears when first opened in A-Tuning, I did not change anything.

Notice the CPU Ratio value, "x 16", 16 being the core multiplier, or it should be the core multiplier. Next find the CPU Freq. display on the right, which is 3616MHz. That frequency has a core multiplier value of 36, not 16 as shown in the CPU Ratio display. The core multiplier is set to 36 in the UEFI.

We can see the CPU Cache Ratio is correct, "x 34", and the corresponding Cache Freq. display of 3415MHz. All the other displayed values are correct, matching my settings in the UEFI.

If Apply is clicked with the values displayed, the CPU multiplier would be set to 16, and my CPU would run at 1600MHz maximum. A user should not need to fix the values of any option on this screen, they should match the values set in the UEFI.

The CPU Ratio of 16 is an odd value, since the normal lowest speed/multiplier a Haswell processor operates at with power saving options enabled is 800MHz, with a CPU Ratio of 8. I can't see where a value of 16 would be used as a default or standard value for Haswell processors.

No one else has noticed this?

PowerPie5000 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: A-Tuning Version 2.0.112.3 For Z97 Extreme 6 OC Tweaker Error

The cache speed appears to be wrong with mine. The CPU cache ratio is set at x44, but you can see it's running at 4000MHz instead of 4400MHz:

I also found a couple of spelling mistakes in the system BIOS on the HW monitor page (the word voltage).

Thanks for posting that, more confusion with different settings. Seems to be a more complicated problem unfortunately.

The spelling mistakes... don't get me started on those, I've trained myself to ignore them. But there are fewer than in earlier products.

It could be worse, the first A-Tuning version for my Z87 board had the CPU Input voltage labeled as CPU VCore.

My CPU Cache ratio is set to x44 in the bios too, so I don't know why it's only running at 4000MHz

Hmm, I didn't notice that. Is that the cache speed shown in the System Info screen?

I'd double check that in the BIOS of course, and try running HWiNFO: HWiNFO, HWiNFO32/64 - Download

That will show you all the multiplier values, including cache (uncore), which are updated every two seconds, as well as all the core and cache speeds. It displays all kinds of information, which I have found to be accurate, I've used it for years.

I'll load my OC profiles and fool around a bit and see what happens.

With the Cache Ratio set to 40, and the CPU Ratio set to 40, the display in A-Tuning is fine:

A-Tuning Version 2.0.112.3 For Z97 Extreme 6 OC Tweaker Error-z97-tuning-2-jpg

In this case, I am using the All Core option, set to 40. In my first example, I was using the Per Core option, all default multipliers. So that is a difference that could cause the multiplier to be set incorrectly as it was in my first example. But that situation should have been tested, and the core 1 multiplier should be displayed, and possibly the only one modified.

I checked with other utils such as HWINFO64 and it shows the cache labelled as Uncore and it's still only reaching 4000MHz... I thought it would be running at 4.4GHz when the CPU runs at 4.4GHz (boost). Both CPU and Cache ratios are set to x44 by default in the bios (all core feature disabled). Maybe i'll run it with the all core enhancement enabled when I get a chance later (on my other PC at the moment and then i'll be watching a movie).

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
    I checked with other utils such as HWINFO64 and it shows the cache labelled as Uncore and it's still only reaching 4000MHz... I thought it would be running at 4.4GHz when the CPU runs at 4.4GHz (boost). Both CPU and Cache ratios are set to x44 by default in the bios (all core feature disabled). Maybe i'll run it with the all core enhancement enabled when I get a chance later (on my other PC at the moment and then i'll be watching a movie).
    My Z97 Extreme 6 board does not show that behavior. I do not have the Multi-Core Enhancement option enabled. CPU Ratio is manually set to 44, using the All Core option, and the Cache Ratio is set to 44 manually, since the two use separate multipliers.

You lost me on the, "... CPU and Cache ratios are set to x44 by default in the bios". How are those default settings? By using an OC profile?

Turbo boost should not be changing the CPU or Cache multipliers when they are set manually above the stock multipliers, which are done on a per core basis. Are you using the Per Core option?

Asrock are sending me a new BIOS chip to test with my Z97 Extreme4. Apparently it has the updated ME firmware on the chip (Management Engine I think?). They said the ME firmware can't be updated via flashing the BIOS the usual way, so they're sending me a new chip instead.

What results do you get when you have both the CPU and cache ratios set to auto? Does the cache/uncore still match the highest core speed (turbo)?

EDIT: I've also noticed the latest HWinfo64 now shows a Vcore reading for my board, but it shows it maxing out at 1.288V which can't be right as each core VID only reaches 1.263V (i'm pretty sure the Vcore is usually lower than the VID).
    Last edited by PowerPie5000; 10-22-2014 at 06:08 AM.

Oops, missed your last post, installing Windows and other things distracting me.

Yes, setting Core and Cache ratios to Auto causes both to operate at the highest core ratio, on Auto that is 3.8GHz for my i5-4670K.

ASRock thinks your IME firmware is corrupted? Unusual but possible.

UEFI updates that include IME firmware updates exist, such as the Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge CPU compatibility on Intel 6 series chipset boards, and the same thing on X79 boards. But it is better and easier just to replace the CMOS chip, I would prefer that BIG time.

You do have the Intel IME software installed, right? Without it over clocking can fail.

I just noticed that the latest HWiNFO64 beta (v4.47-2333) changed VIN6 to VCore, on my Z97 EX 6 board. My reading is also above that of the maximum core VID being displayed, and that is not during a stress test when AVX instructions are being run. I use Adaptive voltage. Time to ask Martin (HWiNFO author) what he had in mind.

I do have a new "CPU Cache" reading, whose value seems reasonable but could be a VID, and most likely is.

You are right about a VID being always greater than a VCore value, at least it should be or something is wrong with the board's VCore voltage output. The final VCore voltage is created inside a Haswell processor, so not a board issue, if there was one.

I would be surprised if HWiNFO64 had a true VCore reading from our boards, A-Tuning shows VIDs now, and so does the UEFI.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information