Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Computer doesn't start with additional HDDs (Asrock am1b-itx)

Default Computer doesn't start with additional HDDs (Asrock am1b-itx)

Hi

I Have a strange problem with a computer that I put together, it consists of the following components:
    Asrock am1b-ITX
    AMD 5350
    4GB Crucial Ballistix sports VLPs
    Crucial M500 128GB SSD
    Seasonic S12 500W old as the hell, but works without any hassle (bought 2006)
    Win 8.1

The computer works perfectly with the above combination, but to the problem; When I was going to use my external HDD (USB 2.0, and is a 750GB sata disk in).
    The computer was turned off and I plugged the HDD into a USB port in the back and then tried to start the computer, stone dead(!) Nothing happened except that POWERLED on the chassi began to shine. Tried holding the power button ~ 5s, reset button, nothing worked, so I removed the power cord, put it back tried again same error.
    So I took out the drive from the USB port, still could not do anything, pulled the power cord, put it back and without the disk the computer started as usual...

Thought it was something with my disk or that the cabinet had gone bad. Anyways I plugged it into the computer again once I was in Windows, Windows detected the disk and not much more after ~7s the computer shutdown itself.
    Fine, what the hell I thought, probably is something with the cabinet...

Since then I have been using the computer for maybe 1w everything works fine with standard USB sticks, etc. have not noticed anything strange until yesterday when I was going to install 2x internal HDDs (Seagate 3TB sata 3), installed everything and was then going to start the computer. But the same problem appears as when I tried with my external HDD, everything is stone dead when I press the power button only the Power LED starts to shine and nothing else happens.
    I disconnect the power to the drives and then it starts normally again...

Do not really know what is wrong, the PSU works fine in the computer without the disks, have also used this PSU in my main computer before I put it into this machine (AMD Phenom2 x6, Asus sabertooth 990fx, AMD 6950, 8GB Ram, along with 3 HDDs) without any problems whatsoever.

I Do not know how I'm going to continue my troubleshooting really, is there anyone who has any hints? It's an old PSU, and the motherboard does not have a 4-pin connector, can it play any role for the PSU?
    Came also to think about now that the BIOS have energy state settings, which is set to C6 could be it that causes my PSU to fail maybe? Recall that Intel's C7 could be problems in all cases with older PSU but it may not apply to C6?

Have no idea how I can solve this, is there any known issues with the Asrock motherboard? I have the latest drivers and also the latest BIOS installed about 2 weeks ago.

Help is appreciated.

PowerPie5000 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Computer doesn't start with additional HDDs (Asrock am1b-itx)

That 500W PSU is now 8 years old and I highly doubt it can sustain it's original specified output (capacitor aging etc...)... Using it to power a Phenom II x6 and Radeon 6950 is what i'd call living dangerously . Use a hardware monitoring utility to see if the voltage rails are within spec (5V, 3.3V, 12V).

Are you using the USB ports on the case or motherboard? Check the USB connectors are properly connected to the headers on the board. Try clearing the CMOS and maybe check for a bios update for the board too (could be a strange bug). Does the external drive have it's own power source? Some come with 2 USB connectors or an AC adapter if one USB port is not enough to power it.

EDIT: Forget the bios update bit, just seen you've already tried that.
    Last edited by PowerPie5000; 10-09-2014 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
    That 500W PSU is now 8 years old and I highly doubt it can sustain it's original specified output (capacitor aging etc...)... Using it to power a Phenom II x6 and Radeon 6950 is what i'd call living dangerously . Use a hardware monitoring utility to see if the voltage rails are within spec (5V, 3.3V, 12V).
    Well its been doing very good, there is no odd noise from it, its still VERY quiet as its always been, and by running Phenom II x6 and 6950 etc the voltage are still well within the specs even at full gaming load.
    But yes its getting old that's why I changed it to put it in my latest build to ease up the pressure on it as the AM1 only uses 18-35w :P

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
    Are you using the USB ports on the case or motherboard? Check the USB connectors are properly connected to the headers on the board. Try clearing the CMOS and maybe check for a bios update for the board too (could be a strange bug). Does the external drive have it's own power source? Some come with 2 USB connectors or an AC adapter if one USB port is not enough to power it.
    Sorry if this wasn't clear, but when I wrote "I plugged the HDD into a USB port in the back" I ment to the ports directly on the motherboard and not the chassi.
    This drive does not have its own power source its dual usb connectors on it and I plugged them both in. But as I wrote this isn't only happening to USB disks, now latest is that I bought 2 internal Seagate 3TB sata3 disks that I installed and bumped into the same issue.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Continuing from PowerPie5000's advice, which is very good, older power supplies were designed to provide more power on the 5V and 3.3V rails than the 12V rail. At the time that is what mother boards required, but that has changed with modern systems. The 12V rail is the most important.

So while the total power usage by the system may be low, an increased demand on the 12V rail, with a limited power capability, might explain the issue. The two internal HDDs, which I assume are 3.5" types, use 12V power. The label on that PSU should show what the 12V rail power capability is.

The external USB enclosure with apparently only USB connections for power which provide only 5V, cannot power a HDD that needs 12V power, again assuming it is a 3.5" drive. What type of drive were you using in the USB enclosure?

Since the board only has the 24 pin power connector, which has only two 12V connections, the extra load of the drives may not allow enough power to reach the board.

The PSU problems with Haswell systems and the C7 C State are caused by such a low load on the 12V rail, that the 12V rail goes outside of the ATX spec for voltage. The 12V rail would go to say 12.7V and the PSU would shut off due to its over voltage protection. This is unrelated to your issue, and never seen with the C6 C State. Plus when the PC first starts, those power saving options are not active.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Continuing from PowerPie5000's advice, which is very good, older power supplies were designed to provide more power on the 5V and 3.3V rails than the 12V rail. At the time that is what mother boards required, but that has changed with modern systems. The 12V rail is the most important.

So while the total power usage by the system may be low, an increased demand on the 12V rail, with a limited power capability, might explain the issue. The two internal HDDs, which I assume are 3.5" types, use 12V power. The label on that PSU should show what the 12V rail power capability is.

The external USB enclosure with apparently only USB connections for power which provide only 5V, cannot power a HDD that needs 12V power, again assuming it is a 3.5" drive. What type of drive were you using in the USB enclosure?

Since the board only has the 24 pin power connector, which has only two 12V connections, the extra load of the drives may not allow enough power to reach the board.

The PSU problems with Haswell systems and the C7 C State are caused by such a low load on the 12V rail, that the 12V rail goes outside of the ATX spec for voltage. The 12V rail would go to say 12.7V and the PSU would shut off due to its over voltage protection. This is unrelated to your issue, and never seen with the C6 C State. Plus when the PC first starts, those power saving options are not active.
    Hi thanks for your input.

The PSU _was_ a high-end one back in the days it has 2x 12v rails with 16A on the first and 17A on the 2nd. But as you say, perhaps its the increased need on 12v on a old PSU. But it feels odd.
    The external USB drive is a 2.5" drive from my laptop, I usually just plug one of the USB connector to the computer when I use it as it works just as good.
    And as u mention USB is 5v and still causes the issue...

Well I'll guess I give it a try with another PSU this week-end and see what happens.

Thread Information