Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock 990FX Extreme9 different temperature for cpu questions.

coexr is offline Junior Member

Default ASRock 990FX Extreme9 different temperature for cpu questions.

MY RIG:
    ASRock 990FX Extreme9 - BIOS Version 1.70
    AMD FX-8320 Vishera 3.5GHz
    Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB
    MSI R7770-PMD1GD5 Graphics Card
    Windows 7 x64 SP1 all latest updates

I have a few questions I was hoping someone can answer for me.

First, I'm trying to understand why AXTU shows a different CPU temp compared to HWMonitor and RealTemp. Is it because AXTU shows the temp from a mainboard sensor and HWMonitor/RealTemp show core sensor temps?

Second, I posted a screenshot below of my temps at idle. Is 65C (reported by AXTU) and 55C (reported by RealTemp) decent temps to idle at?

Last, is it normal for my temps to go up by 10 degrees just by opening my web browser? Which happens when I either open Firefox or Chrome. I don't even have to be browsing, just opening the browser jumps my temps 10 degrees.

Thanks for any help.

CPU Temps screenshot.
    http://i.imgur.com/W7Ry3SR.png

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ASRock 990FX Extreme9 different temperature for cpu questions.

First, I see the same CPU temperature reading in AXTU and HWMonitor in your picture, 65C.

Then I see the same CPU (package) temperature in HWMonitor and Core Temp, 50C, minimum of 49C, maximum of ~70C.

Note the CPU core loads in Core Temp, none above 3%, and many 0%. With that minimal load, CPU package temperature is 50C, and the cores at 65C.

Note the Tj. Max value in Core Temp, 70C. That is the maximum temperature of your processor (package temp), and you're not to far off of that (50C) at almost no load. You actually almost hit it with the 69C reading.

What CPU cooler do you have? It's doing a poor job, perhaps a bad mount? I don't see a CPU fan speed, you should find that in the AXTU Hardware Monitor.

Given a CPU cooler not doing its job, yes a CPU can jump 10C in temperature when a program starts.

Your mother board temperature of 39C would scare me, does your PC case have any fans running?

That PC is hot hot hot, and needs fixing. What video card are you using?

Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    First, I see the same CPU temperature reading in AXTU and HWMonitor in your picture, 65C.

Then I see the same CPU (package) temperature in HWMonitor and Core Temp, 50C, minimum of 49C, maximum of ~70C.
    Whats confusing me is the temp reported by Core Temp. Is that accurate? I'm just trying to figure out if AXTU is the accurate temperature.

What CPU cooler do you have? It's doing a poor job, perhaps a bad mount? I don't see a CPU fan speed, you should find that in the AXTU Hardware Monitor.
    Ya, my cooler is a make shift brand with a fan I have hooked up to chasis port so I can control the speed for low noise. Stupid, I know. I have a Cooler Master 212 EVO on the way, and will connect its fan to the proper pin out. Plus I added an intake fan, and positioned an exhaust fan better to hopefully provide better airflow in my old LianLi case.

These temps were taken with my case cover off. So you can imagine how hot it got with the cover on. Poor air flow, poor CPU fan, not enough RPM's, etc. My existing CPU heatsink is big and fat, and sits atop the CPU, so the heat just basiclally hovers around it, especially since I have such poor air circulation in the case. Even turing the CPU fan up full on, the cpu tmp just goes down to 72C under moderate load.

Quote Originally Posted by coexr View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

Whats confusing me is the temp reported by Core Temp. Is that accurate? I'm just trying to figure out if AXTU is the accurate temperature.
    The temperatures are accurate, but from two different sensor readings. Both can be seen in CPUID HWMonitor, Package is 50C 49C 70C, in Core Temp 50C 49C 69C, slightly different due to being read at slightly different times. Then AXTU of 65C, seen in CPUID as CPUTIN of 65C.

A package CPU temperature is generally not as high as other CPU temperature readings that are normally more internal of the processor. Looking at either of these temperatures, they both are at or a bit above the Tj Max temperature of 70C, which is data about the max CPU temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by coexr View Post
    Ya, my cooler is a make shift brand with a fan I have hooked up to chasis port so I can control the speed for low noise. Stupid, I know. I have a Cooler Master 212 EVO on the way, and will connect its fan to the proper pin out. Plus I added an intake fan, and positioned an exhaust fan better to hopefully provide better airflow in my old LianLi case.

These temps were taken with my case cover off. So you can imagine how hot it got with the cover on. Poor air flow, poor CPU fan, not enough RPM's, etc. My existing CPU heatsink is big and fat, and sits atop the CPU, so the heat just basiclally hovers around it, especially since I have such poor air circulation in the case. Even turing the CPU fan up full on, the cpu tmp just goes down to 72C under moderate load.
    So you know what the problem is, work on it and keep watching those temps.

Here's an update.

I finally received my Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO from Newegg. Took Newegg 6 days for shipping. I would have gotten it quicker from an Ebayer. Anyhow, I installed it. Pain in the butt since I had to remove my mainboard. My old Lian Li case has a solid backing.

One problem. One of the standoffs were stripped and wouldn't hold a screw. This was infuriating, since I'll have to contact Cooler Master, get another standoff, take my PC apart again to install it. I got the screw to partially grip, so it seems OK for now.

Since I installed it, my temps now don't go above 50C under heavy load, and idles around 25C/35C. I also properly set up an intake and exhaust fan for the case with 2 80mm fans. Even with the cover closed the rig stays around 50C under a decent load. Before, with the old cooler I was going over 80C with the cover on.

The old cooler I had on could have used a better fan. I had an old fan on it that was pushing air. Though I did try pulling as well, and found pushing to have slightly better results. Probably should have tested it more thoroughly.

I posted some pics of my current temps and old/new fan configuration.

old/new cooler pic
    http://i.imgur.com/vsNGKhQ.jpg

new cooler temps
    http://i.imgur.com/7vV6N6Y.png

That's much better of course, but you still have some work to do.

If you know the model number of your Lian Li case, I'd like to see what fan mounting options it has.

I can see in your picture of the new CPU cooler, that the small fan at the back of the case, right under the power supply, is blowing air into the PC case. The CPU cooler's fan is blowing air into the heat sink fins, but in the opposite direction of that fan. So in a sense they are fighting each other.

Normally you would want to turn that rear fan around so it is pulling air out of the PC case, and with it the warm air from the CPU cooler. Currently the fan from the power supply is getting cool air from that small fan, which is likely the original intent. But it is also pulling in the warm air from the CPU cooler. The old style case design that used the PSU fan as a case exhaust fan worked somewhat, but it mainly just heats up the PSU and causes its fan to run faster, making more noise.

Your video card is exhausting most if not all of its warm air into the PC case. That same warm air is used by the CPU cooler to try to cool the CPU, which does not work very well. You should work on getting some air into and out of that PC case, particularly with your CPU and video card.

In AXTU, for the CPU and Chassis fans, set the Target CPU Temp. as low as it will go. It won't change things very much, but will cause the fan speeds to increase sooner and stay at a higher speed longer.

I see you have at least three chassis fans, where are the located in your case? Are they intake or exhaust?

The mother board temperature is still high at 42C. Are you using the default BIOS settings for your CPU? The CPU VCore of 1.376V - 1.400V seems higher than necessary, but I'm not an AMD processor expert.

wardog, what do you make of the VCore on this CPU? High or normal?

That's much better of course, but you still have some work to do.

If you know the model number of your Lian Li case, I'd like to see what fan mounting options it has.
    It's an old aluminum Lian Li case, and by today's standards, it's air flow options are dreadfully horrific. Only supports 80mm fans. 1 top which is pointless since cabling would hit it. 1 rear, and 2 front bottom. The front fans sit behind a cage for its dust filter which obstructs air flow, though I removed the cage and dust filter.

As for now, I have an (1) 80mm intake in the front bottom of the case, and an (1) 80mm exhasut in the rear. That's it.

I really should just get a new case. Trying to bring this one to an adequate level of cooling with poorly positioned 80mm fans just aint gonna do it.

I can see in your picture of the new CPU cooler, that the small fan at the back of the case, right under the power supply, is blowing air into the PC case. The CPU cooler's fan is blowing air into the heat sink fins, but in the opposite direction of that fan. So in a sense they are fighting each other.
    Hey, thanks for lending your keen observation. I reversed the fan as you stated. I actually wanted that fan to exhaust, though I always get confused about the exhaust/intake positioning of the fan.

This new cooler is phenomenal in terms of air cooling. I think the greatest design of this cooler is how its raised off the CPU, which moves the heat away. My old cooler sat right on top, and I could just feel the heat hovering all around the CPU.

Thanks again for you input. Much appreciated. I guess I'm lucky I didn't fry my CPU with my old set up. Though, a few times my PC almost shut down from it overheating.

wardog, what do you make of the VCore on this CPU? High or normal?
    'bout right. Each board and BIOS rev will be different. He should be able to get that somewhat lower. Every machine behaves different though so trial and error to determine stability and or suitability.

OP, ummm, nicely, you should be looking at a upgrading that case.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

I'm glad you are aware of your case limitations, it amazes me what we considered modern and good in the year 2000 about PCs. Prior to that was basically the stone age.

The early AMD FX 8000 and now FX 9000 series processors were found to be (after the fact for the '8000) power hungry and hot stuff. Not that Intel is immune from that, they can claim sub 100W TDP all they want on many Haswell processors, as long as they are at stock clocks, but under high loads they resemble mobile processors, with 100C throttle temperatures.

Case modding might help, or leaving the side panel off and having all fans as intakes. Removing unused PCI slot covers will help get more air into the case, or get some ventilated slot covers. If any of the 5.25" bays are empty, removing their covers will also help get fresh air into the case.

I wanted wardog to comment on the VCore you are using, which may be Auto settings. It seems high to me and contributes to the high CPU temperatures. Also it seems none of the CPU power saving options are enabled in the BIOS, "Cool N Quiet" helps reduce idle temps and power usage, I highly recommend you try it until you can update your PC case.

We also hope your PSU is up to its task.

Thread Information