Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Can't upgrade BIOS on e3c226d2i

Default Can't upgrade BIOS on e3c226d2i

Hi, I have an E3C226D2I motherboard. Current BIOS version is 1.50. I am trying to upgrade the BIOS. The server has Linux installed as the OS, so I can only use the DOS or Instant Flash upgrade methods.

I have tried Instant Flash versions 1.80 and 2.00 (using these download links USA 1.80, USA 2.00). I unzipped them and put the files on a USB drive. When I have them on a USB drive, and I press F6 during boot, I see the filenames listed in a blue box. Then I get a menu, with only two options: "Reset Device" and "Configuration". See follow-up posts (can only post one pic per post).

So I tried putting the EXE files on a DOS boot USB (downloaded from USA 1.80 and USA 2.00). When I try to run either EXE, it says "ROM file ROMID is not compatible with existing BIOS ROMID":

Can't upgrade BIOS on e3c226d2i-bios_update_error-20141009-png

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Default Re: Can't upgrade BIOS on e3c226d2i

Here's the Instant Flash screenshot 1/2:

Can't upgrade BIOS on e3c226d2i-bios_instant_flash1-20141009-png

Here's Instant Flash screenshot 2/2:

Can't upgrade BIOS on e3c226d2i-bios_instant_flash2-20141009-png

SandsOfTime is offline Member

For instant flash the usb stick must have FAT32/16. Is that the case?
    And for the DOS updater, what is this JViewer? Did you boot from the stick or is this just a DOS box inside the (linux) OS? The latter will not work.
    Also, for me, it looks like that 226D2I~1.EXE is just the updater, which needs the file name of the BIOS as a parameter. Something like:

C:\>226D2I~1.EXE 226D2IL2.00

Quote Originally Posted by SandsOfTime View Post
    For instant flash the usb stick must have FAT32/16. Is that the case?
    Yes, I tried both.

Quote Originally Posted by SandsOfTime View Post
    And for the DOS updater, what is this JViewer? Did you boot from the stick or is this just a DOS box inside the (linux) OS? The latter will not work.
    JViewer is the IPMI-over-LAN application packaged with the MegaRAC/BMC of this board. The server is headless, stored in a closet in the basement. I rely on the BMC/IPMI/MegaRAC to avoid having to get a step ladder, attach a keyboard and monitor, etc. This is a typical type of feature for a true server motherboard. So, using this, I am booting into FreeDOS. I tried booting from virtual media (again using the BMC), but also directly booting from FreeDOS on a FAT16-formatted USB disk.

Thanks again!

Red face Re: Can't upgrade BIOS on e3c226d2i

The problem was a classic id-10-t error, aka "operator error"... the problem was between the chair and the keyboard.

I have an e3c224d2i, but I was trying to flash with 226 firmware.

I downloaded the right c224 BIOS image, and it worked right away, no problems!

Sorry for the noise everyone. :)

Thread Information