Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Weird VisionX boot problem

Default Weird VisionX boot problem

Just picked up a VisionX with 8G RAM and a 500G hard drive. I added a Crucial 240G SSD to it and Installed 64-bit Windows 7 on the SSD. This morning when I booted up, it hung at the Starting Windows screen. After a couple minutes, I powered down, waited another minute or so, and powered back up. This time there was nothing but a black screen. Again, after a couple minutes, I powered down, waited another minute or so, and powered back up. This time it booted to the Windows login screen and everything seems fine. According to Windows, all the drivers are up to date.

The system did the same thing when I powered up yesterday. It takes 3 tries to get the OS to come up cleanly. I've installed Windows twice on the box, and it's completed all updates successfully. This one's a real head scratcher. I'm hoping it's as simple as a bios setting that needs to be changed.

Can anyone help?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Weird VisionX boot problem

Sounds like you put a Crucial M500 SSD (mSATA?) in that PC. Questions:

Did the 500GB HDD ever have Windows installed on it?

Was the 500GB HDD connected to the PC and running when you installed Windows 7 on the SSD?

Did you check the boot order in the BIOS after installing Windows on the SSD?

What BIOS settings are you using, all defaults?

Thanks for the reply.

The 500G HDD never had Windows installed on it, but it was connected and running when I installed Windows on the SDD. As soon as I installed the SDD, I set the boot order to Optical Drive first and SDD second. I am currently using default values for all other bios attributes.

parsec is offline Senior Member

I'd still like to know what model Crucial SSD you are using, although it won't likely be the cause of the problem.

When more drives than just the target OS installation drive are connected and running when installing Windows, the installation program will put the MBR (Master Boot Record) partition on another drive, not the intended OS drive. An annoying habit of Windows, probably meant to reduce pirating. If you were to remove the 500GB drive, or just unplug the power or data cable from it, your PC would not boot because the MBR partition would be "missing". You can fix this with the Windows installation or a repair disk.

Many PCs run in this state fine, but when the main OS drive is a SSD and the MBR partition drive is a HDD, their difference in startup time can cause odd behavior. A SSD is up and running in a few seconds, a HDD takes longer. The older and slower the HDD is, the longer it takes to get started.

This might not be the cause of your problem, but I've suspected this situation to be the cause of Windows boot problems for a while now.

If you feel like it, you can install Windows again with the HDD disconnected from power. The problem with that is the MBR partition from the previous Windows installation will still be on the HDD, which can then cause confusion when it is connected and running again. You can manually delete the MBR partition from the HDD.

Otherwise, one thing to check in the BIOS is in the Storage Configuration screen, an option called "Aggressive SATA Link Power Management" is enabled. That has caused problems for me in the past.

Thanks, Parsec. Unfortunately, I won't be able to try your suggestion until this weekend as I'm currently buried under a pile of work. However, I did get the info on the SSD you wanted to see. It's a Crucial CT240M50.

Finally found and fixed the problem. Turns out the SSD was hosed. It's booting just fine to the HDD.

Thread Information