Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: USB 3.0 issues

Default USB 3.0 issues

I have been having quite a few issues with the motherboard I have from ASRock. It is the Z87 Extreme4. My issue is the usb 3.0 No matter what I plug in it says this device can perform faster than this blah blah blah. Anyway, that should not be happening as I am plugging in usb 3.0 devices. What is going on? The other problem is that my front ports that are from the mobod header will no longer recognize any of my external 2.5 hdd. 1 on the back also says this so I am limited to just 3 ports on the back that I can plug into with my external hdd and they are very important to what I do. Is anyone familiar with this? Is this only on this board or a common thing among ASRock? I have other computers and the usb 3.0 works just great.
    Windows 7 Professional
    (2)-ASUS VS248H-P Black 24" Monitor
    CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CWCH60) Liquid CPU Cooler
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Kingston Hyper X Blu 16GB
    Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Server Processor
    High Current Pro HCP-750 750W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD
    SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
    3 -2TB Western Digital Black HDD
    Rosewill RDCR-11003 74-in-1 USB3.0 3.5 Internal Card Reader
    1 Asus Blu Ray Burner
    1 Plextor DVD Burner

Default Re: USB 3.0 issues

Power it down, remove power from the wall, and remove the Rosewill 74-In-1 card reader. Then reconnect everything, less card reader of course, and retry.

Oh. Remove the card readers driver before performing the above.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    I have been having quite a few issues with the motherboard I have from ASRock. It is the Z87 Extreme4. My issue is the usb 3.0 No matter what I plug in it says this device can perform faster than this blah blah blah. Anyway, that should not be happening as I am plugging in usb 3.0 devices. What is going on? The other problem is that my front ports that are from the mobod header will no longer recognize any of my external 2.5 hdd. 1 on the back also says this so I am limited to just 3 ports on the back that I can plug into with my external hdd and they are very important to what I do. Is anyone familiar with this? Is this only on this board or a common thing among ASRock? I have other computers and the usb 3.0 works just great.
    The symptoms you described that I put in bold are occurring not because of the devices you are using, but because the USB interface seems to not be operating at USB 3.0 speeds. Notice that the message is the device can perform faster, not that the interface can perform faster or equal to the device.

What PC case are you using, where the front panel USB 3.0 ports are having this problem?

Have you checked Device Manager, the USB Controllers entry at the bottom of the list? Any yellow '!' marks indicate a problem device.

There is an Intel USB 3.0 driver for Windows 7 that must be installed, did you try uninstalling the driver and installing it again? The latest version of the Intel USB 3.0 driver can be found here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...ng&ProdId=3467

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Power it down, remove power from the wall, and remove the Rosewill 74-In-1 card reader. Then reconnect everything, less card reader of course, and retry.

Oh. Remove the card readers driver before performing the above.
    I can't find the drivers for the rosewill reader. I am not sure which ones apply to this specific reader.
    Windows 7 Professional
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Server Processor
    High Current Pro HCP-750 750W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD
    SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
    1 Asus Blu Ray Burner
    1 Plextor DVD Burner

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    The symptoms you described that I put in bold are occurring not because of the devices you are using, but because the USB interface seems to not be operating at USB 3.0 speeds. Notice that the message is the device can perform faster, not that the interface can perform faster or equal to the device.

What PC case are you using, where the front panel USB 3.0 ports are having this problem?

Have you checked Device Manager, the USB Controllers entry at the bottom of the list? Any yellow '!' marks indicate a problem device.

There is an Intel USB 3.0 driver for Windows 7 that must be installed, did you try uninstalling the driver and installing it again? The latest version of the Intel USB 3.0 driver can be found here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...ng&ProdId=3467
    I am using the Corsair 500 case. I have checked the device manager and no yellow anywhere. I will check the driver for the intel driver and see which one is listed.
    Windows 7 Professional
    1 Asus Blu Ray Burner
    1 Plextor DVD Burner

Quote Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    I am using the Corsair 500 case. I have checked the device manager and no yellow anywhere. I will check the driver for the intel driver and see which one is listed.
    Well what do you know, I have a Corsair 500R case, and the front panel USB 3.0 ports did not work at all for me from the start. Put a USB 3.0 flash drive into either of the two USB 3.0 ports, and they were not detected at all. I can't recall if a USB 2.0 flash drive was detected, but I doubt it.

I checked in Corsair's PC case forum, and sure enough other owners of this case were having the same or similar problems. The Corsair moderators suggested filling out the on line RMA form, and in the details section, say you just want a replacement front panel input/control module part, and did not want to RMA the case itself. Corsair sent the part free of charge, and I did not need any proof of purchase.

This part is a circuit board and wiring for all the front panel inputs and controls. It was simple to replace IMO, just a few screws to remove and replace, although you will need to redo all the wiring from the power and reset switches, LEDs, etc, to the mother board. The front panel USB 3.0 ports have worked fine since then. Corsair seemed to know that some 500R case were assembled with defective front panel input/control modules. My ASRock board was not the cause of this problem.

I strongly suggest you replace this part on your 500R case, IMO looking for other fixes is a waste of time.

Wow! Okay. Although one of my rear usb ports does the same thing though. And they do work with smaller flash drives they just don't work with my external larger hdd. How did yours function overall? So mine seem to work, just not with all of my drives. What do you think about that? Thanks.
    Last edited by ingeborgdot; 10-14-2014 at 01:13 AM.
    Windows 7 Professional
    1 Asus Blu Ray Burner
    1 Plextor DVD Burner

It seems that the failure of the USB 3.0 ports on the front panel varies from completely broken to partially working in some situations. What is actually happening is difficult to know, but does not really matter since the bottom line is that part can have problems.

Could be one or more bad data or power connections, or a bad chip on the panel's circuit board. Who knows how that affects the mother board's USB 3.0 source, which is part of the Z87 chipset. The power connection from the PSU connector to the front panel circuit board may be bad, not your PSU itself, just the power wiring from the front panel circuitry.

But I would not bother trying to fix that part, get a replacement part and then see how all your USB 3.0 ports work. I would not try using the front panel ports at all. Actually, try disconnecting the USB 3.0 cable from the front panel headers to the board, and then try the USB 3.0 ports on the board's I/O panel.

Thread Information