Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: upgraded from i5 2500k to i7 3770k, still have old overclock settings

Default upgraded from i5 2500k to i7 3770k, still have old overclock settings

hello. im on the z77 oc formula mobo with both the asrock formula app installed initially and bios overclock settings. i just swapped out my i5 2500k for a i7 3770k and it is still overclocking to my 4.3 ghz. i uninstalled oc formula drive app and also reset bios settings under "load uefi defaults" and even manually set the core clockspeed to 3.5 ghz and it is still bumping it up to 4.3 in windows. can anyone give assistance? thanks.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: upgraded from i5 2500k to i7 3770k, still have old overclock settings

Yes that is strange, and my first reaction would be to say it is the OC Formula Drive software. But if you have uninstalled it and it was not installed again, then that can't be the cause.

When installing a new CPU or memory, the BIOS/CMOS should be cleared, not just set to defaults. With the PC shutdown and disconnected from power, move the CMOS jumper to the clear position. Your board also has a "clr CMOS" button on the IO panel, which will do the same thing. You can press that button with the PC running (!), and it will clear the CMOS, restart the PC, and prompt you to enter the BIOS UI or will just auto-load default settings.

If you've done this already, then...

Questions:

You say the CPU speed becomes 4.3GHz in Windows, what program(s) is showing that speed?

You say you chose the load UEFI defaults, and manually set the clock speed to 3.5GHz. After doing that, and then booting into Windows where I assume you will then be at 4.3GHz, if you then restart and go into the BIOS, what is the clock speed set to in the BIOS, still at a multiplier of 35, for 3.5GHz?

The answer to the above question will probably tell you where the apparent automatic OC is happening. If the multiplier in the BIOS is unchanged from 35, then that tends to indicate the auto OC happens in Windows. This assumes another BIOS option is at its default setting, which is...

What is the BCLK set to in the BIOS? It normally is 100.0, or as a multiplier value, 1.00. Some BIOS' have BCLK ratios, like 1.25 and 1.67. A BCLK ratio of 1.25 with a core multiplier of 35 results in a CPU speed of 4.375GHz. Or a BCLK set manually to 123.0 at a core multiplier of 35 gives us 4.305GHz.

Other potential causes are:

NickShih’s OC Profile.

Rapid OC, the buttons on the board next to the debug LED display.

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (IXTU) installed and auto-running an OC profile.

Default Re: upgraded from i5 2500k to i7 3770k, still have old overclock settings

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Yes that is strange, and my first reaction would be to say it is the OC Formula Drive software. But if you have uninstalled it and it was not installed again, then that can't be the cause.

When installing a new CPU or memory, the BIOS/CMOS should be cleared, not just set to defaults. With the PC shutdown and disconnected from power, move the CMOS jumper to the clear position. Your board also has a "clr CMOS" button on the IO panel, which will do the same thing. You can press that button with the PC running (!), and it will clear the CMOS, restart the PC, and prompt you to enter the BIOS UI or will just auto-load default settings.

If you've done this already, then...

Questions:

You say the CPU speed becomes 4.3GHz in Windows, what program(s) is showing that speed?

You say you chose the load UEFI defaults, and manually set the clock speed to 3.5GHz. After doing that, and then booting into Windows where I assume you will then be at 4.3GHz, if you then restart and go into the BIOS, what is the clock speed set to in the BIOS, still at a multiplier of 35, for 3.5GHz?

The answer to the above question will probably tell you where the apparent automatic OC is happening. If the multiplier in the BIOS is unchanged from 35, then that tends to indicate the auto OC happens in Windows. This assumes another BIOS option is at its default setting, which is...

What is the BCLK set to in the BIOS? It normally is 100.0, or as a multiplier value, 1.00. Some BIOS' have BCLK ratios, like 1.25 and 1.67. A BCLK ratio of 1.25 with a core multiplier of 35 results in a CPU speed of 4.375GHz. Or a BCLK set manually to 123.0 at a core multiplier of 35 gives us 4.305GHz.

Other potential causes are:

NickShih’s OC Profile.

Rapid OC, the buttons on the board next to the debug LED display.

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (IXTU) installed and auto-running an OC profile.

Thanks so much. Resetting cmos did the trick.

parsec is offline Senior Member

That was easy, great!

Clearing the CMOS/BIOS should be done whenever a major hardware change is done, IMO. That includes memory, video cards, and really any time something new is connected to a mother board.

The exception to this would be new HDDs or SSDs, you aren't required to do so and normally you won't have problems adding or removing drives. But doing so won't hurt anything, and if your BIOS/UEFI lets you store option setting profiles, you can restore your settings very easily.

Thread Information