Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: B85M-ITX board with Intel Pentium G3258 - no POST, no beeps. PSU seems good. Any ideas?

Default B85M-ITX board with Intel Pentium G3258 - no POST, no beeps. PSU seems good. Any ideas?

Hi all,

Brand new build, Intel Pentium G3258, Silverstone ML05B - pentium g3258 asrock b85m mini itx - arifb's Saved Part List - PCPartPicker for full part list.

When I turn the computer on, the CPU fan spins up, I can hear some activity from connected drives, and the PSU but nothing at all happens. Black screen. It's connected through HDMI, but it's not necessary to use the DVI cable I would think.

There are no beeps, even when I take out the memory, but I'm not sure this motherboard has a speaker?

Followed this Tom's hardware troubleshooting list, and I've made sure the power to the CPU and motherboard are connected properly.

I think a BIOS update is necessary for the G3258 processor, however I should be able to POST without the update, no? Not sure how I'd update the BIOS without being able to POST.

Please help if you have any ideas!
    Last edited by arifb; 10-13-2014 at 02:05 PM.

SandsOfTime is offline Member

Default Re: B85M-ITX board with Intel Pentium G3258 - no POST, no beeps. PSU seems good. Any ideas?

What is the current bios version of your board? There is a sticker on the bios chip saying the version, something like "P1.10". For the G3258 you need at least bios version 2.00, as you can see here: ASRock > B85M-ITX

Borrow a cpu or buy the cheapest Celeron (ebay) from that list that works with your current bios version, and update bios to newest version. Then change to the G3258 cpu.

Default Re: B85M-ITX board with Intel Pentium G3258 - no POST, no beeps. PSU seems good. Any ideas?

Hi SandsOfTime, thanks for replying. BIOS is 1.60 - I was aware that I was going to need to upgrade for the G3258 to function but thought that I would be able to POST, or at least see some/hear some progress when I power on.

So the behaviour I'm describing sounds like it is what should happen if the BIOS doesn't support my CPU? And the only way to upgrade the BIOS is to get an already supported CPU in there?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SandsOfTime View Post
    What is the current bios version of your board? There is a sticker on the bios chip saying the version, something like "P1.10". For the G3258 you need at least bios version 2.00, as you can see here: ASRock > B85M-ITX

Borrow a cpu or buy the cheapest Celeron (ebay) from that list that works with your current bios version, and update bios to newest version. Then change to the G3258 cpu.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by arifb View Post
    Hi SandsOfTime, thanks for replying. BIOS is 1.60 - I was aware that I was going to need to upgrade for the G3258 to function but thought that I would be able to POST, or at least see some/hear some progress when I power on.

So the behaviour I'm describing sounds like it is what should happen if the BIOS doesn't support my CPU? And the only way to upgrade the BIOS is to get an already supported CPU in there?

Thanks!
    Oh, so close!! BIOS 1.90, which has "Support New 4th Generation Intel Core Processors", would probably have been enough to POST and even boot a G3258 on your board.

My ASRock Z87 board has a BIOS version with the same update, and it was able to POST and boot a G3258, although that version could not OC it. Of course I was able to update it with my earlier Haswell processor.

I agree with SandsOfTime, you will need an early (non-Haswell refresh) Haswell processor in order to update to the 2.20 BIOS.

Only the new 9 series chipset boards have the required BIOS to support any Haswell processor out of the box. The required BIOS update is why Intel did not say (well, one reason) that the 8 series chipset boards would work with Haswell refresh series processors. The required BIOS update could not be guaranteed to be present on all the 8 series chipset boards. As you have experienced first hand.

Riverman is offline Junior Member

I`m a little late to this party but I had the same problem trying to get a Haswell-R cpu (i5-4460) to boot. In my case Asrock offered to mail an updated bios. My local vendor has also offered to flash the bios to a newer version. First Asrock board but so far impressed with customer service.

Dear arifb,
    I'm Davis from ASRock HQ TSD.

B85M-ITX support New 4th Generation Intel Core Processors(G3258) since P1.90 BIOS version.
    If you have Haswell CPU on your hand, please install it and refer below link to update BIOS to P1.90 or later version. ASRock > B85M-ITX,
    If not, please send private message to me, I will assist in it for you.
    Thank you.

Thread Information