Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AsRock z97 Extreme 9 wont power on

MlogStryker is offline Junior Member

Default Re: AsRock z97 Extreme 9 wont power on

I built it about a month and a half ago. But everything seems to be okay except for this issue (oh and the first psu sounding like a jet engine at random times).

When I can get it up and running again I'm going to run some stress tests, a gpu one a cpu one and a ram one and try to see if that high highlights any issues. I think i will also set the processor max frequency to 90% for those tests, then change it to 100% and run them again.

Any thoughts on which software to use for the tests?

I am a little uncomfortable letting stress tests run for extended periods, so this is what I did. I downloaded PassMark, and isolated the cpu, gpu, and ram. I ran each test for around 8 minutes (the free trial max time is 15 minutes anyway) with the max power state at 95% and the load for each test at 50%. I had zero errors, so I ran all the tests at 100% load for the same amount of time. Again zero errors, the gpu temp evened out at 66 degrees. The cpu never got above 50 degrees, and the ram had zero errors, but I have no temp readings for the ram. I then increased the max power state in windows to 100%, ran the cpu test again, and again had zero errors, and the temps never got above 52 degrees.

I fully understand that those temps will even out a little hotter as the test is allowed to run for hours, but that just seems to stressful (for me, and the pc).

So i'm really puzzeled at what the problem could be in regards to why that game is causing my system to power off.

Also I tried unplugging and plugging things back in trying to turn the system on after each one. When I unplugged the 20pin atx cable from the psu and plugged it back into the psu that is what allowed me to power on the computer. When I unplugged the 20pin atx cable from the mobo and plugged it back in it had no effect and would not turn on.

Can the software be causing a fault somewhere that is causing my computer to power off?

There is BIOS 1.14 that indicates "Improve DRAM performance".

The G710 keyboard and "Discharge' game key combo/macro(?) that guarantees it shutting down upon pressing, are you using the latest Logitech software for the keyboard? Can this key press to "Discharge' be duplicated with a bone stock preferably PS/2 otherwise USB keyboard?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Dang.

Also, that G710(+.. ?) keyboard. Best I can discover is it has two USB plugs. Assuming yours has two, are both plugged in?

Not sure here if it draws power from both maybe, or I'm reading right and that the other soley is for the KB's USB port and would be "data' only or if in fact both needed for power for lighting and whatever else.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Yes both keyboard usb ports are plugged in. The skill is mapped to the "q" key, and it is not a macro. I have been playing at max processor state 95% for a while without a loss of power. There has still been some spikes in frames per second when the skill is used, but not all the way down to 1. My frames per second fluctuate between 330 ish when not much is going on to 120 ish when lots of things are going on. When I use discharge for the first time it always spikes down to 20, but after the first time it seems to not spike nearly as much. Is that because the game is accessing something not in ram, the animation perhaps? Im not sure how to make a ram disk or if my 16gb of ram would give me enough to put the game on a ram disk but could that smooth that spike out even more?

I have not tried a different keyboard to see if the problem would still present itself, but I don't think the keyboard is where the problem is stemming from.

Also there way a mini update to the game so its possible they fixed something, but I highly doubt that whatever they updated would have been related to my problem, but i guess you never know.

Well after playing for 4+ hours I thought everything was a-okay, and that maybe a combination of disconnecting and reconnecting the atx power cable from the psu and the updates to the game solved my problem. But alas here we are again, my computer is not powering on. Same thing, and same situation, but I had previously gone though that situation many times during that 4 hour span and didn't run into any problems.

Being that I hadn't run into any problems, I start increasing settings to their normal states. I increased the min and max power settings back to 100%. No problems. I enabled intel power boost, no problems. Then, just when I thought things were fixed, it happened again. And everything was running really smooth, up until it powered off.

Whenever that skill is used for the first time in a map my fps drop to ~10, aside from that it is always at ~144, because v-sync is on.

I tried unplugging everything connected to the mobo / psu and trying to power it back on and nothing works.

The power supply is cool to the touch, and none of the temps (mobo, cpu, gpu) ever reached above 52 degrees during that 4 hour period.

I am going to go to pick up a new psu tomorrow, if it still has problems would any of you point to the cpu or motherboard as the culprit?

Thanks for any advice you can give me

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MlogStryker View Post
    Thanks for the responses parsec, and profjim. This morning it happened again, under the same exact circumstance. The game in question is Path of Exile (and it only happens when playing this game), when i use the skill Discharge, my frame rate spikes from ~140 to 1. I had been using this skill several times, but I like to use it right when a bunch of guys spawn, and when i pressed the button on the keyboard to activate Discharge it was like I pressed the switch on the power supply.

Someone on the PoE forums had stated that PoE does have a fair amount of cpu processing, and that the power boost from the intel chips sometimes has issues with PoE on newer intel chips.

Is it possible that the cpu load spikes up to the point the power boost kicks in, and that extra instantaneous load on the psu is causing the power rails in the psu to trip (like a surge protection)?

I am going to unplug one of the 4 pins going to the cpu, and I would also like to disable the power boost feature but I'm not sure where the setting is for that, can anyone help with that?

Also about the power button, I will always press the case power button first, before the mobo power button, I haven't been doing that in the past (only when the computer is in its current state, otherwise the power button works normally), so its quite possible that the case power button is just fine, I was just impatient and thought that button was different for some reason.

Going from past experience I won't be able to turn the computer on for a few hours, and being that it is sunday I'm going to watch some football, so I won't be back until later in the day, but any help is very much appreciated.
    I'm fascinated by a game that has an option/feature that when activated can cause such a stress on the CPU, video card, or both, that is causes the PC to shutdown.

If that happens with the CPU running at stock/standard speed, then I can't help but think it is a power issue of some kind. Since the shutdown problem occurred when you had both eight pin CPU power cables connected, that makes me suspect the PSU itself, or the cable connections between the PSU and the board and video card.

An EVGA 780ti is rated to use 250W of power, and reviews I checked don't contradict that spec by any significant degree. You must connect two PCIe power cables to that card, one eight pin and one six pin, which I assume you have done.

I see that the AX850 has dual PCIe style power cables combined into one connector that plugs into the PSU itself. Do you use one of those dual cables for the 780ti's power? That should be fine, just wondering.

One question, in a post of yours after the one I quoted here, you mentioned, "When I unplugged the 20pin atx cable from the mobo...". Is "20pin" just a typo and you meant 24 pin? Probably is, but if not it is important to use the full 24 pin connector plugged into the board. Sorry, had to ask.

More on the 24 pin power cable, at the PSU itself, this cable has two connectors that plug into the PSU, one above the other. I use PSUs with this design, and it can be difficult to get both of the connectors into the PSU sockets securely. I would check that those two plugs are seated fully in place.

On to the CPU, the eight pin CPU power cable looks identical in many ways to the eight pin PCIe power cable, but they are wired quite differently. They cannot be substituted for each other, even if they fit into the board.

One of the two eight pin CPU power cables supplied with the AX850 has a PSU-end connector that is the same as the PCIe power cable. It would be rather difficult to mix those two cables up, since one is the two cable into one connector PCIe power cable. Yet another simple yet significant detail that is possible in theory to be wrong.

Myself and many others have over clocked our CPUs which requires that Turbo Boost be enabled in the BIOS. None of the boards I've ever owned had two eight pin CPU power connectors, and I've never had a problem like yours. Running the CPU at stock clocks takes much less power than when it is over clocked, so I can't believe that it is a power delivery system problem (except for bad connections), rather than a power source problem, which is what my guess is.

So I am 3 for 3 on causing this crash and the more and more it looks like it is related to the game, and not hardware, but I am going to pick up a new psu and see if there is some sort of issue with this one.

I have found how to power on the system right away after this happens. If I unplug the power supply, and unplug the atx cables from the power supply it can turn back on in a matter of minutes. Does that shed any light on what could be wrong?
    Last edited by MlogStryker; 10-28-2014 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I'm fascinated by a game that has an option/feature that when activated can cause such a stress on the CPU, video card, or both, that is causes the PC to shutdown.

If that happens with the CPU running at stock/standard speed, then I can't help but think it is a power issue of some kind. Since the shutdown problem occurred when you had both eight pin CPU power cables connected, that makes me suspect the PSU itself, or the cable connections between the PSU and the board and video card.

An EVGA 780ti is rated to use 250W of power, and reviews I checked don't contradict that spec by any significant degree. You must connect two PCIe power cables to that card, one eight pin and one six pin, which I assume you have done.

I see that the AX850 has dual PCIe style power cables combined into one connector that plugs into the PSU itself. Do you use one of those dual cables for the 780ti's power? That should be fine, just wondering.

One question, in a post of yours after the one I quoted here, you mentioned, "When I unplugged the 20pin atx cable from the mobo...". Is "20pin" just a typo and you meant 24 pin? Probably is, but if not it is important to use the full 24 pin connector plugged into the board. Sorry, had to ask.

More on the 24 pin power cable, at the PSU itself, this cable has two connectors that plug into the PSU, one above the other. I use PSUs with this design, and it can be difficult to get both of the connectors into the PSU sockets securely. I would check that those two plugs are seated fully in place.

On to the CPU, the eight pin CPU power cable looks identical in many ways to the eight pin PCIe power cable, but they are wired quite differently. They cannot be substituted for each other, even if they fit into the board.

One of the two eight pin CPU power cables supplied with the AX850 has a PSU-end connector that is the same as the PCIe power cable. It would be rather difficult to mix those two cables up, since one is the two cable into one connector PCIe power cable. Yet another simple yet significant detail that is possible in theory to be wrong.

Myself and many others have over clocked our CPUs which requires that Turbo Boost be enabled in the BIOS. None of the boards I've ever owned had two eight pin CPU power connectors, and I've never had a problem like yours. Running the CPU at stock clocks takes much less power than when it is over clocked, so I can't believe that it is a power delivery system problem (except for bad connections), rather than a power source problem, which is what my guess is.
    The 780ti has 1 eight pin and 1 six+two pin connected, the + two is not connected. Those are together is one cable sleeve, the other end of that is a 12 pin psu connection. There are 2 of those connections on the psu and I have not moved that to the other connection. I can try that, but I assume they are both connected to the same rail.

Yes it is a 24pin atx cable, sorry for the confusion. When this power shutdown happens, to get the computer to restart I must remove the 2 cables plugging into the psu that make up the 24 pin atx connection. Not sure if that is indicative of the problem or not, but I have found this to be the only way to get the computer to turn back on (unplugging the power supply from the wall does not work - I had it unplugged from the wall for hours and it wouldn't turn on, when I unplugged, and reconnected these connections it powered on right away)

The cpu has a 2 four pin connection, the other end of that cable is a solid eight pin and I have that end connected to the psu (there is only 1 eight pin connection on the psu). I assume that is the proper way to have that cable installed. There is a second cpu cable that has the same 2 four pin connection on one end and a 12 pin connection on the other (with the extra four pins empty on the 12 pin side). I am not using this cable anymore.

All other pci cables supplied are a six + two connection on one side and a six pin on the other.

The psu has many six pin connections, although I am only using 2 of them. 1 for a few molex connections (fans and a case xdock that I am not using currently) the other is for my 2 ssd's.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Your power cable connections all sound right.

The need to remove the two connectors for the 24 pin, main ATX cable is ridiculous, I've never had to do such a thing, and never heard of that before. Given that, IMO it's either the PSU or the board itself has some odd issue. What disconnecting and reconnecting those cables does is beyond me, but you should not need to do that.

Testing the board with a different PSU is a given IMO, I know you will be doing that, so good luck!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information