Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Asrock z87 pro 3 + Core i7 4770

Default Asrock z87 pro 3 + Core i7 4770

Hello Guys,

I need your help. I have purchased Asrock z87 pro 3 and core i7 4770. I am now confused about RAM. Will Vengeance® — 8GB DDR3 Memory Kit (CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10) work with my system?

when I check the asrock z87 pro manual it states, the following memory requirement.

Dual channel DDR3 memory technology
    Supports Intel extreme memory profile (XMP) 1.3/1.2

However, if you check http://www.corsair.com/en/vengeance-8gb-ddr3-memory-kit...

it states it is quad channel.

So what is the difference between quad channel and dual channel?

Will this RAM work?

Thank you.
    Last edited by - wardog -; 10-26-2014 at 06:05 PM.

Default Re: Asrock z87 pro 3 + Core i7 4770

Careful, While Corsair refers to that as a "Kit" , what I find is it is a lone single stick of 8GB.

One stick installed will run as Single Channel.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Careful, While Corsair refers to that as a "Kit" , what I find is it is a lone single stick of 8GB.

One stick installed will run as Single Channel.
    ==> So are you saying that it wont give good performance?

I was looking to install 2 X 8 GB RAM on my board.

parsec is offline Senior Member

A quad channel kit should mean four matched DIMMs for use with the Intel X79 and the new Intel X99 DDR4 platform that have quad (four) channel architecture for the memory.

So a dual channel kit is two matched DIMMs for use with the more common dual (two) channel memory architecture.

Of course a dual channel kit of four DIMMs is available. What is the difference between that and a quad channel kit?

In general, nothing.

Every processor generation/architecture has a specific number of memory channels that is part of its design. That cannot be changed by anyone, including mother board manufactures and memory manufactures. Your board and CPU has a dual channel memory architecture.

A dual or two channel memory architecture board can use two DIMMs per channel, combining them together for more memory per channel, but the board/system will still have only two memory channels.

That Corsair memory information page is strange. First it describes a single DDR3 8GB DIMM, that cannot by itself operate in quad channel or dual channel mode.

Next, how many quad channel architecture boards exist that use DDR3 memory? For Intel, that would be the X79 platform, but that is all.

IMO, the term "kit" implies more than one DIMM being sold together in one package or kit. A single DIMM kit is confusing terminology, as wardog also mentioned.

Recall above I said matched DIMMs? That means a set (kit!) of DIMMs that were tested to work together correctly. Sometimes if you buy single DIMMs at different times, of the same model and manufacture, and use them together, they won't work correctly. I tend to wonder if matching of DIMMs is an artificial thing done by memory manufactures, but that is another topic.

That is what wardog was referring to when he pointed out the "kit" is really a single 8GB DIMM. Performance is not the problem, but compatibility might be, they won't work together since two single DIMM "kits" were not matched to work together.

Actually, you should check the Memory Support list for your board, here: ASRock > Z87 Pro3

I don't see any Corsair CMZ models (the model you are considering) in that list. The models in the list are known to work with your CPU and board, other models may or may not work with it. Personally I would not take the chance of using memory that is not in the list, unless you know someone that uses that memory in your system, and it works fine.

Upon further checking I see Corsair hasn't qualified that particular stick for your motherboard. Corsair Memory Finder <- English US Site/Link

OP, you should probably contact Corsair Tech Support and inquire before purchasing.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Thread Information