Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fata1ty z68 - Sandy Bridge - Bios 2.10

Default Re: Fata1ty z68 - Sandy Bridge - Bios 2.10

Thank you for that, that instilled confidence in me. I will update the BIOS tomorrow.

Yes, those RipJaws are practically identical to the ones I'm using now just with slightly slower timings.
    Ones I have installed now: 8-8-8-24
    The 32GB ones: 9-9-9-24

I went with the Tridents because they were only $10 more and with better timings at 7-8-8-24. My motherboard was also listed under the QVL list on G.Skill's site. Seemed like a no-brainer.

32GB may be overkill, yea. However, I am a graphic artist that relies on many programs and also does rendering. 8GB is too limiting and simply not enough.

The only part of the update I'm worried about is after the first reboot. What if I get no display? What if Dr. Debug spews some error code(s) and it doesn't boot. Etc. I highly doubt these will happen but I'd rather be prepared in case they do. Is it safe to turn the computer off and diagnosis the problem then? I suppose let the computer run for 5 minutes just to give it enough time for the second phase to complete, just in case it's running in the background..

Thanks!
    Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3
    CPU: Intel i7-2700k 3.5Ghz
    GPU: MSI Geforce 580 GTX Lightning Xtreme 3GB
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X
    HDD: 1TB Western Digital 7200RPM
    ODD: Generic DVD
    Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX
    PSU: Corsair 1000W Silent Pro
    BIOS: P1.30

After reading many posts again about updating from 1.30 to 2.10, I got nervous all over again. Therefore, I decided not to update the BIOS. My system runs fine at 1.30, it's just that these Tridents don't work. I don't want to introduce instability, problems, or corrupt my BIOS just to attempt to get these Tridents working.

I don't think the Tridents like Sandy Bridges. They were designed with Ivy Bridge and Haswell processors in mind.

I'm RMAing the Tridents back to Newegg. They are giving me a full refund, free shipping, and I won't be penalized with a restocking fee. So, that's good. All I lost was some time.

I'll be buying these Ripjaws instead.

Thank you very much for taking the time to lend your assistance parsec. I am grateful.
    Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3
    CPU: Intel i7-2700k 3.5Ghz
    GPU: MSI Geforce 580 GTX Lightning Xtreme 3GB
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X
    HDD: 1TB Western Digital 7200RPM
    ODD: Generic DVD
    Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX
    PSU: Corsair 1000W Silent Pro
    BIOS: P1.30

parsec is offline Senior Member

Glad to help you, although it wasn't much more than coaching...

In the future when you have a different mother board (without a Z68 chipset), you should not fear BIOS updates, they work fine. Just stay away from the Windows executable BIOS update programs, the only type that remains questionable.

IMO, you made a good decision. You would never notice any difference in performance between those two models of memory, based upon their differences in CAS latency. Frankly, the RipJaws may be better since their tRFC is better than the Tridents. Plus updating the BIOS provided no guarantee that the Trident memory would work, even if you could increase the tRFC setting, that was an unknown.

While I know that people with boards and CPUs like yours have been successful applying the Ivy Bridge compatible BIOS update and still used a Sandy Bridge processor, there remains uncertainty and unanswered questions about this BIOS update. I also know we still see examples of what this update causes when it fails, over two years after these updates were first made available.

Intel is the source that said this update is possible, and it applies to any mother board manufacture's products. In my research on this topic, I reached several dead ends regarding information and answers. The questions are simple too, can you apply the Sandy to Ivy BIOS compatibility update and still use a Sandy Bridge CPU. Or does this update make the board an Ivy-only processor board? I did not even get answers to those questions from Intel. Wouldn't that information be so basic about this update, yet it's simply not included in the extremely limited information provided with these BIOS updates. Does no specific information mean our assumptions or what seems to be implied is true? That of course makes no sense.

I found some information from Intel about the update process itself, which did not seem to match any of the updates mother board manufactures supplied. That made things worse IMO.

I've learned things along the way while researching and dealing with the results of this update, but the not answers to the most basic questions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information