Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone have correct dimensions of X99 WS and X99 OC Formula?

Default Re: Anyone have correct dimensions of X99 WS and X99 OC Formula?

Yeah, I'm not usually the bleeding-edge type. In fact, this build was originally going to be a Z97/4790K/DDR3 setup. But I took a closer look at upgrade potential, and Z97/DDR3 seems much closer to the end of the line. Then I stumbled onto an Egghead deal that put the final price of the X99 OC Formula at less than the price of GigaByte's X99-UD3 and within $10 of the price of the Z97 OC Formula, and it was Game Over for Z97. Since it looks like Skylake may not happen until 2016, X99/5820K/DDR4 gives me a solution to the immediate problem (old machine is dying) with the best potential upgrade paths.

To close the loop on this: as expected (based on parsec's measurements), the X99 OC Formula fits into the Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 just fine. The SATA cables are a little tight to the drive cages, but that's OK, since they're only there temporarily. Thanks to the offset mounting setup in the top panel, the Swiftech H220-X easily clears everything on the MB. Pictures: New Computer - Imgur

parsec is offline Senior Member

Glad that case worked with the board, which is really not rated for use with eATX boards... of various dimensions.

Yes, that case is not very deep, even my Define R4 is a tighter fit than other cases I have. Things look a bit tight in that case, but unless you are constantly changing things inside the case, that is not a problem.

Once I have a box the way I want it, I typically don't touch it for months, sometimes years. Which is why I don't get the removable-motherboard-tray thing; yes, reviewers change hardware frequently, but real users don't--why should the majority have to pay for a feature useful only to a small minority?

My goals were to find
    1) The smallest (particularly, the shortest) case that
    2) Can be built to be quiet, and
    3) Will hold everything I want to put into it, and
    4) Will provide adequate (but quiet) airflow for the hot components it will eventually have (8 7200RPM drives, an Adaptec 7805 that specs "200LFM" of cooling, and a Samsung XP941 that literally gets hot enough to boil water), and
    5) Does NOT have windows, LED fans, flashing lights, glow-in-the-dark panels, a plastic facade pretending to be a Transformer/nuclear weapon/spaceship, or other related distractions

The ARC Midi R2 (Solid Side Panel) was the one that checked all the boxes. I looked at dozens of cases, and I'm really impressed with what Fractal Design puts out.

As nearly as I can tell, the ARC Midi R2 and Define R4 are the same box--the difference is what goes on up front and on top. The side panels are interchangeable. If I didn't have a thing about doors, I might have gone with the Define. Or not--the R4 still has the top cooling running right down the middle, so it has clearance problems. The R5 looks like it fixes that issue; in fact, the R5 has a number of changes to make it more water-friendly. OK, so if I didn't have a thing about doors, I might go with the Define R5....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information