Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BIOS Upgrade Options with FM2A78M-HD+ and AMD Athlon x4 860k

magma83 is offline Junior Member

Default BIOS Upgrade Options with FM2A78M-HD+ and AMD Athlon x4 860k

I have an ASRock FM2A78M-HD+ Motherboard with stock BIOS 1.50 and a Kaveri AMD Athlon x4 860k CPU. I have recently learned that I may need to update my BIOS to p2.00 in order for my computer to function with my processor. I want to know what my potential options are. I know that with some mobo/processor combinations, the CPU will be able to POST as an unrecognized processor, enabling the updating of the BIOS via ASRock Instant Flash and a USB Port. If that is definitely not a possibility, is my only alternate option to purchase a cheap but BIOS compatible cpu and then flash the BIOS update? Thanks for any support, and I hope to have this resolved before I build the PC.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: BIOS Upgrade Options with FM2A78M-HD+ and AMD Athlon x4 860k

No other options, you have it covered in what you wrote.

It's a tough call whether or not the '860K will at least POST in the board. All the other Athlon II X4 processors are compatible with the first or any BIOS, but the 860K is Steamroller architecture and Kaveri core. Then again, the other Athlon II X4 processors in the support list have different architectures and cores from each other, so who knows.

My guess would be it will POST so you can update the BIOS, but that is only a guess.

I assembled the PC, and when I turned it on all of the fans began whirring, but there were no BIOS beeps and there was no signal sent to the monitor. I assume that this indicates complete BIOS incompatibility, so can you recommend any cheap CPUs (used if cheaper) that will guarantee POST and allow me to update the BIOS?

If your PC Specs pull down lists _all_ your hardware you assembled this with(no video card listed atm!!), then AFAIK you need a video card as the Athlon X4 860 does not have an iGPU.

That, and assuming the Ripjaws you list are compatible. Check HERE

But it's my understanding from many posts here that, with a video card, you should at least have a monitor working with which to update your BIOS.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    If your PC Specs pull down lists _all_ your hardware you assembled this with(no video card listed atm!!), then AFAIK you need a video card as the Athlon X4 860 does not have an iGPU.

That, and assuming the Ripjaws you list are compatible. Check HERE

But it's my understanding from many posts here that, with a video card, you should at least have a monitor working with which to update your BIOS.
    I assumed the OP knew that.

The CPU Support list for the FM2A78M-HD+ makes that clear: ASRock > FM2A78M-HD+

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I assumed the OP knew that.
    Somewhere I have this mental image of that 860 being packaged for return .......... Sorry to burst your bubble.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Yes, i do have a graphics card; MSI Radeon r9 270 GAMING. I just checked my RAM compatibility; I have two sticks of 4gb g.skill ram, but the exact product number was not listed on the website. F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL is the code for my memory. Does this mean that the RAM is the issue? I also note that on other websites, the RAM that I have is listed as compatible with my motherboard, and only the last two letters of the product number seem to not show up on the link that I was just provided.

The site that I used to check compatibility was pcpartpicker.com

Does my motherboard need two sticks of RAM?
    Last edited by magma83; 11-17-2014 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by magma83 View Post
    Yes, i do have a graphics card; MSI Radeon r9 270 GAMING. I just checked my RAM compatibility; I have two sticks of 4gb g.skill ram, but the exact product number was not listed on the website. F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL is the code for my memory. Does this mean that the RAM is the issue? I also note that on other websites, the RAM that I have is listed as compatible with my motherboard, and only the last two letters of the product number seem to not show up on the link that I was just provided.

The site that I used to check compatibility was pcpartpicker.com
    Unfortunately, it is the last two letters in the model number (in G.SKILL's case, sometimes three letters) that differentiate their various models.

The rest of the model number, F3-12800CL9S-4GB, just indicates the memory type (DDR3), the memory speed and latency (12800CL9), the type of kit (S=Single, D=Dual, Q=Quad), and the capacity. RL is the model.

In your board's compatibility list, I see G.SKILL models TD, PS, HZ, BI, NQ, ECO, PK, RM, and HK. That does not automatically mean that the RL model will not be compatible, but it might be and your experience with it seems to indicate that it isn't.

You can try just one stick of that memory, and the PC might POST but no guarantee.

I just took out the RAM and, what do you know, I get three BIOS beeps. Should I return this stick of RAM and buy ones that I know are compatible?
    Last edited by magma83; 11-17-2014 at 02:05 AM.

Hi, did you get this issue solved?

I have the same MB/CPU combination... No signal no POST...

BR
    Harri

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information