Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Fan speed on ASRock 970 Extreme R2.0

Default Fan speed on ASRock 970 Extreme R2.0

Hi, I have had heating troubles with my ASRock 970 Extreme R2.0 and AMD 8350 chip. With help from the experts here, we fixed the problem, but now a month later something has changed.

When it was fixed, I was getting regular fan speeds in the 5000 RPM range, and the fan adjusted significantly when heat built up. 3500 RPM was kind of a low range, and it would get pretty high up there, even reaching 6000 RPM if I was running a bunch of programs.

Well I took a holiday, came back, and now the fan doesn't go over 3500 RPM, and the heating problems are back! I put the thing to full on but it just goes at between 3400 to 3600 all the time. I tried to custom set it in bios but that didn't work either. I don't think its the fans problem because an identical comp at work is also going much slower, it also used to hit 5800 regularly, now its constantly stuck at 3500. The only change has been the ambient temperature in the room.

What should I do? I just want this thing to run fast like it used too, it was working great.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Fan speed on ASRock 970 Extreme R2.0

Quote Originally Posted by MBwoes View Post
    Hi, I have had heating troubles with my ASRock 970 Extreme R2.0 and AMD 8350 chip. With help from the experts here, we fixed the problem, but now a month later something has changed.

When it was fixed, I was getting regular fan speeds in the 5000 RPM range, and the fan adjusted significantly when heat built up. 3500 RPM was kind of a low range, and it would get pretty high up there, even reaching 6000 RPM if I was running a bunch of programs.

Well I took a holiday, came back, and now the fan doesn't go over 3500 RPM, and the heating problems are back! I put the thing to full on but it just goes at between 3400 to 3600 all the time. I tried to custom set it in bios but that didn't work either. I don't think its the fans problem because an identical comp at work is also going much slower, it also used to hit 5800 regularly, now its constantly stuck at 3500. The only change has been the ambient temperature in the room.

What should I do? I just want this thing to run fast like it used too, it was working great.
    So both PCs are running the fan at about the same speed, but only one is over-heating? I don't understand the difference between the two PCs given your description.

Could be the heat sink and fan on the "bad" PC is clogged up with dust, a good cleaning with those cans of gas for PC cleaning is the first thing to try.

The fan itself could be bad too. An exact replacement may not be easy to find. You may want to upgrade to better CPU coolers anyway, they'll be quieter and cool better.

The fan speed being stuck at the lower speed on both PCs is strange, that happens regardless of the BIOS setting for the fan's speed? Try clearing the BIOS and try the full on settings again. If that does nothing to increase their speed, the fan(s) may be bad.

Very strange that is happening, I can't help but think it might be something else.

Thanks parsec, yeah I have had the weirdest situations this past 6 months or so, and not just these comps.

Ok, will try out your ideas. You always notice things I can't see.

Well guys, I am finally back to tell everyone to upgrade their cooler on the AMD 8350! I was such a fool to mess around, I could have saved myself a lot of time and trouble if I just got with the program and used my f'n brain.

That comp is now burnt out, so you see I learn the hard way. Feel like an idiot.

If you have an AMD FX 8350 get a better cooler than the stock cooler! Pls learn from my loss and upgrade your cooler haha!

After that happened I finally got smart, took that extra computer that wasn't working and upgraded the cooler, now I got that fast 8350 action like i wanted! Finally I see the light! Just too bad I got this 400 dollar door-stop over here...but I did at least cannibalize all the good stuff like cd player and memory and so on.

Now my rig has a bizarrely huge cooler with constant led blue light (!), I can't actually put the side back on, but its cool as...well you get the point. And it runs like the devil which was the whole point in the first place! :-D

parsec is offline Senior Member

Sorry to hear you destroyed a mother board, is that right? Did the CPU die too? Did you need to replace them both?

Intel CPU users, particularly the 'K' type, over clocking models, have known for years the stock CPU cooler is virtually worthless except for stock speeds. Plus you must ignore CPU temperatures when using the stock cooler. Owner reviews of the FX-8350 processor are consistent, replace the stock cooler.

If you are using a tower type cooler, don't forget that the board itself needs cooling, particularly the CPU voltage regulators. Their heat sink is just to the left of the CPU socket.

Yup I destroyed something, it just beeps when I try to turn it on. So your saying I could still use this cpu potentially? And just move it to a new board? I didn't even consider that, if I could do that it would mean I didn't lose as much money as I thought. The cpu can handle the higher temps I guess?

The one I changed the cooler on seems to have no problem at all, oh, and I changed that stupid passive-cooled videocard at the same time. Will have to wait for summer to see if maybe it doesn't cool as well as I thought, but this tower thing is insane with a huge fan and my sensors are all good now.

You tried to set me right parsec, but I was too brain dead.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Sorry to hear you destroyed a mother board, is that right? Did the CPU die too? Did you need to replace them both?

Intel CPU users, particularly the 'K' type, over clocking models, have known for years the stock CPU cooler is virtually worthless except for stock speeds. Plus you must ignore CPU temperatures when using the stock cooler. Owner reviews of the FX-8350 processor are consistent, replace the stock cooler.

If you are using a tower type cooler, don't forget that the board itself needs cooling, particularly the CPU voltage regulators. Their heat sink is just to the left of the CPU socket.

Thread Information