Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If someone has a z97 extreme6 really need quick help

sebastian869 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: If someone has a z97 extreme6 really need quick help

no, im not planning on ever connecting ESATA nor M.2.
    Just SSD that id like to use as a boot drive (never used one before and it comes with a "driver" disk i guess so i hope it will let me partition and format it) then i have 2 reg HD and one DVD SATA. Which connection do you think are best to go with after say 0 for the boot Hd.

says 4/5 are shared for ESATA so i dont want to use them and id like to stick to the intel controller. is are all NONE "A"s intel like Retteren was saying?

Thanks

SelfGovern is offline Junior Member

First, relax.
    Second, this board has as many lanes as the chipset allows, and more. Once you get to the "and more", you have to start sharing. Or you need to sell your Z97 chipset board and buy a much more expensive Z99 board (and much more expensive compatible processor).
    Third, Put your BluRay on one of the ASRock SATA ports, unless you can make a case for it ever being able to saturate them (hint: I don't think you will be able to)
    Fourth, put your SSD on Intel 0, and your hard drives on two of the other Intel SATA ports that won't conflict with your possible future use of M.2 or eSATA (i.e., don't use 4 or 5), and you'll be fine.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sebastian869 View Post
    no, im not planning on ever connecting ESATA nor M.2.
    Just SSD that id like to use as a boot drive (never used one before and it comes with a "driver" disk i guess so i hope it will let me partition and format it) then i have 2 reg HD and one DVD SATA. Which connection do you think are best to go with after say 0 for the boot Hd.

says 4/5 are shared for ESATA so i dont want to use them and id like to stick to the intel controller. is are all NONE "A"s intel like Retteren was saying?

Thanks
    Your Samsung 850 Pro, if that is the SSD you are talking about, does not have a driver on that disk. It does not use or need a special driver from Samsung.

The disk has either just the warranty information, or that and the Samsung Magician software that you can install once Windows is installed.

The Magician software is just a utility used to check the health of your SSD, allows you to test its performance, and other useful features.

You are not required to use the software, that SSD will operate fine without it, but it will help you learn about your SSD and maintain it, so it is worth using.

The SATA ports that don't have an 'A' in their name are the Intel ports.

sebastian869 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Ya know, I was wondering what in the world you meant by SATA3_0_3, and I own a Z97 Extreme 6 board! Then I finally woke up...

I removed it from a case two weeks ago to install a different board, and just put it in another case, finishing that last night. While I was connecting my drives, I noticed (and remembered) the goofy (and non-standard) way the Intel SATA ports are numbered and ordered on this board!!

This board has the new (and unusable at this time) SATA Express connection, that uses two regular SATA ports plus another special connector. Because of the SATA Express connection, the ordering of the SATA ports is different, which is fine but can be confusing.

colliedoggie explained it correctly, but let's take a closer look:

Attachment 7401

The two SATA ports pointed to by #12, are Intel SATA3 ports 0 (top) and 3 (bottom.) You chose the top one, port 0, which is correct.

The ordering of the Intel SATA3 ports (different than the ASMedia ports) looking at the picture above (from the manual!) are from top to bottom, for the ports on the left, 0, 1, 2. Then we move to the ports on the right, back to the ports pointed to by #12, are ports 3, 4, 5.

So, my bad on that one, sorry about that.

After all that, it is not essential to use port 0 for the OS drive, I've installed Windows on a drive connected to port 4 for example. BUT when I did that, it was the ONLY drive connected to the PC. You should have only one drive connected (really just connected to power) when installing Windows, since otherwise it will put the boot partition on another drive. If you then later remove or format that other drive, the PC won't boot. You can fix that but why not just have it done right from the start.

SO, sorry to not get the message about the SATA ports.

On to your memory question. To me, it is not a big deal using memory slots A2 and B2 when using two sticks of memory. Of course you can use slots A1 and B1 instead, but if for some reason you get memory problems, change to A2 and B2.

It is more important that your memory is compatible with your board and CPU, what is the full model name and number of your memory?

I apologize Parsec,
    But I'm really confused here. The manual says to use SATA3_0 which is position 12 as you drew it (And if I'm sitting working on the computer at 90 deg to it just to make it ideal it’s the slot closest to me?)
    And the part I really don’t get it which slots I can use. I understand the point that some share lanes and the "a" ones are using the ASmedia controller.
    Currently I only have 1 SSD (which id like to boot from and use as my windows drive, its why I got it) and I have 2 raptors one older one new and lastly a dvd/blu ray burner. Can you please tell me which slots you would connect to if you were in my shoes?
    And I only have 2 sticks of memory would you go with a1-b1 or a2-b2?
    Thanks,
    Sebastian

p.s. no plans to use an m.2 os ESATA or any of the perks
    Last edited by sebastian869; 11-25-2014 at 03:21 AM. Reason: update

Quote Originally Posted by sebastian869 View Post
    I apologize Parsec,
    But I'm really confused here. The manual says to use SATA3_0 which is position 12 as you drew it (And if I'm sitting working on the computer at 90 deg to it just to make it ideal itís the slot closest to me?)
    And the part I really donít get it which slots I can use. I understand the point that some share lanes and the "a" ones are using the ASmedia controller.
    Currently I only have 1 SSD (which id like to boot from and use as my windows drive, its why I got it) and I have 2 raptors one older one new and lastly a dvd/blu ray burner. Can you please tell me which slots you would connect to if you were in my shoes?
    And I only have 2 sticks of memory would you go with a1-b1 or a2-b2?
    Memory: I would use A2-B2 (the black connectors), as written on page 16 of the Quick Install guide.

When I installed my system, I plugged in my ssd disk in SATA3_3 and the ODD on port SATA3_5. Hanging off an old hdd on SATA3_4 made the system blue screen right after showing the "starting windows" logo for the first time (consistently). Removing the drive (and possibly reseating the DRAM sticks) solved that. It's running fine now.

As parsec says, don't sweat the choice of ports, as long as the boot drive in located on the SATA3_[0-5] ports and not the SAT3_A[0-3] ports (the ones closer to the ATX power connector).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information