Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: BOOT issue FROM USB 2/3 HDD ENCLOSURE OR FLASH DRIVE ON ASROCK MB

MAXIMF is offline Junior Member

Default BOOT issue FROM USB 2/3 HDD ENCLOSURE OR FLASH DRIVE ON ASROCK MB

This problem has persisted for several generations of Asrock MB's. On the current board (specs included in profile), boot from USB causes error in BIOS:

disk read error. CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart

On a different manufacturer's MB (HP, for example), I able to boot of the same USB enclosure: I get boot menu from the MBR and may load my OS further, so the integrity of the disc and OS installation is not in question. On the legacy board that I have (Asrock 775dual-pro), same issue (also says supports boot from USB) and dirtry solution was to use a third-party boot manager (of a floppy disc!), which apparently loaded a basic USB driver that allowed the MBR code on the USB hdd to be executed!

Anyone have similar issues and solutions? Thanks in advance.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: BOOT issue FROM USB 2/3 HDD ENCLOSURE OR FLASH DRIVE ON ASROCK MB

Your thread's title mentions "flash drive" but your post seems to only refer to a USB HDD enclosure.

I've never tried booting from an external SATA to USB HDD/SSD enclosure on my ASRock boards, but I routinely install Windows from USB flash drives, if that counts as "booting".

Never had a problem with that, the USB flash drive is listed in the boot order, easily selected, and no error messages displayed.

I do believe that a bootable USB device is expected to be formatted as "fat32", as all my Windows installation USB flash drives are formatted.

If you try to use a USB 3.0 port for booting on your boards or all but the most recent ASRock boards, you get a failure since the USB 3.0 support is provided by a third party chip and cannot function without its driver.

I'll need to try booting an OS installation via a SATA to USB enclosure and see how it goes. Of course my enclosure being different than yours may produce a different result.

Thanks for the reply. I would appreciate your experience in trying this out on your Asrock MB's. I don't think it is a particular model of USB hdd enclosure that is the problem (I, myself, have tried 2 different ones, a USB2 and a newer USB3 one, with the same result). I would like to point out, that I cannot even get the Asrock BIOS to execute the 'basic' MBR code (that is present on USB hdd enclosure(s)) to just even load the bootloader, let alone get to the intricate driver loading step of the OS! The partitions are formatted NTFS. The other data point is that with on a legacy Asrock MB (775dual-vsta pro), which is all USB2 only, that with a third-party boot manager (kon-boot or similar name) located on floppy, I am able to execute the bootloader and load the OS's normally. The procedure here, is to have Asrock boot from floppy (which works fine), then select USB option in the boot manager, which leads to a successful bootstrapping process! This process is backward, to say the least. Does this suggest that some sort of BIOS driver is not working in the Arock BIOS, perhaps? As I mentioned before, otherwise, the USB is easily detected for boot options (for both the current Asrock MB and the legacy one).

Hello
    Any MB boots only from USB ports for which it is programmed in bios, not all ports!
    Usually, USB ports which exist on the rear panel work; while the ones which require additional cable (front panel ones), sometimes don't work for booting.
    Obviously, none of USB ports on an add-on card can be used for booting; For the reason above.
    Then, please try some different ports.

Thanks Bahram:

I have tried all possible USB ports, from the one directly on the MB backplane to those coming off a connector on the MB. As stated, BIOS detects all USB ports for booting, but the subsequent selection causes disk read error.

I had this problem and annoyed me too much. Eventually, I found that if another USB device (a mobile phone in my case) is connected, causes this problem, even if it is not selected as first boot device.
    My mainboard was not ASROCK; I think it was ASUS.
    I disconnected the mobile and it worked. Is it your case too?

I have a USB keyboard and mouse: does that count? I have to say, additionally, for you to see my previous post(s), where I am able to successfully bootload with a third party boot manager on a bootable device (floppy drive in this case): May you explain what is going on? Thanks.

Mouse, KB don't count; Only storage devices should be detached.
    Have you still both the motherboard and external hard drive in hand?
    Would you like to test the hard with another MB as well as test the MB with another bootable USB flash/hard?
    I mean if you still seeking for help about this problem, we continue to gather more information and try to solve; But if it was once an experience only, I cannot help more (have no idea).
    Last edited by bahram_alinezhad; 11-21-2014 at 11:19 AM.

If your BIOS is UEFI, you should choose IDE/AHCI boot in BIOS setup for your external HDD/USB, not UEFI/EFI.

Thread Information