Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Issues with ASRock C2750D4I Intel Avoton C2750 2.4GHz/ DDR3/ SATA3/ V&2GbE/ Mini-ITX Motherboard & CPU Combo

Nixon3131 is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Issues with ASRock C2750D4I Intel Avoton C2750 2.4GHz/ DDR3/ SATA3/ V&2GbE/ Mini-ITX Motherboard & CPU Combo

Hi Team,

Last week I purchased 3x ASRock Rack C2750D4I Intel Avoton C2750 2.4GHz/ DDR3/ SATA3/ V&2GbE/ Mini-ITX Motherboard & CPU Combo along with the 2x Kingston ValueRAM KVR16R11D4K4/64 DDR3-1600 64GB(4x 16GB)/2Gx72 ECC/REG CL11 Server Memory Kit for my VMware ESXi lab. Since my plan is to create Cluster in a box, I have followed example from Patrick Kennedy blog post, at: Mini Cluster in a Box V2 - 64GB of RAM 24 Cores 13 NICs 3 SystemsServeTheHome – Server and Workstation Reviews

In addition to that I have purchased Corsair CX750 power supply to power on all three ASRock motherboards. I have unboxed single motherboard and connected to power supply but I am not getting video signal, I do see small green lights blinking on the board but that is all.

The issue that I have is that I cannot see any POST or Video signal on my display. I have followed guidance for the memory allocation and used two Kingston RAM chips connected in Blue slots, but I am not getting anything on display.

If you have any advise please let me know.

Thanks,
    Nixon

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Issues with ASRock C2750D4I Intel Avoton C2750 2.4GHz/ DDR3/ SATA3/ V&2GbE/ Mini-ITX Motherboard & CPU Combo

If you have a POST code beep speaker, install it to see if you have a POST error beep code.

Given the memory you listed, I don't see your board included in Kingston's compatibility list of boards, found on this page:

Memory Search | Kingston

Your memory is also not listed in the ASRock memory compatibility list for this board. Do you have some other information about the compatibility of that memory and this board?

Default Re: Issues with ASRock C2750D4I Intel Avoton C2750 2.4GHz/ DDR3/ SATA3/ V&2GbE/ Mini-ITX Motherboard & CPU Combo

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    If you have a POST code beep speaker, install it to see if you have a POST error beep code.

Given the memory you listed, I don't see your board included in Kingston's compatibility list of boards, found on this page:

Memory Search | Kingston

Your memory is also not listed in the ASRock memory compatibility list for this board. Do you have some other information about the compatibility of that memory and this board?

Hi Parsec,

I do not have POST code beep speaker as of now. I was looking into RAM and it is 1600 ECC type which should work... Do you think that is possible memory issue?

Thanks,
    Nixon

parsec is offline Senior Member

Simple memory specs like the speed and being ECC is not enough to guarantee memory compatibility.

There are two sources, Kingston and ASRock, that do not show your memory as being compatible with your board and CPU. I don't think the memory is bad, just not compatible.

That is common with DDR3 memory, you just can't use any DDR3 memory whose basic specs match a board and CPU, there are other factors that determine compatibility.

You should return that memory to the retailer and get a model that Kingston or another manufacture states is compatible with your system.

Thumbs up Re: Issues with ASRock C2750D4I Intel Avoton C2750 2.4GHz/ DDR3/ SATA3/ V&2GbE/ Mini-ITX Motherboard & CPU Combo

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Simple memory specs like the speed and being ECC is not enough to guarantee memory compatibility.

There are two sources, Kingston and ASRock, that do not show your memory as being compatible with your board and CPU. I don't think the memory is bad, just not compatible.

That is common with DDR3 memory, you just can't use any DDR3 memory whose basic specs match a board and CPU, there are other factors that determine compatibility.

You should return that memory to the retailer and get a model that Kingston or another manufacture states is compatible with your system.

Thank you sir! I will do it

Thanks,
    Nixon

Hi Nixon, you are likely having two issues here. 1/ The make of the 16GB module and 2/ Registered memory. Please do note that ASRock's C2750D4I/C2550D4I do require the Unbuffered type of RAM. Registered RAM, in this case, will not work for this board. Then the only 16GB DDR3 Unbuffered module ASRock validated was made by Memphis ASRock Rack > C2750D4I QVL .

Attachment 7422

As the link of Kingston memory search above suggested, Kingston doesn't have your specific 16GB module in their list for C2750D4I so that does tell Memory Search | Kingston . These specific Memphis 16GB Unbuffered is not likely available available locally, but ASRock can place an order on behalf of the C27450D4I users. Bill william@asrockamerica.com

I made the same mistake on RAM. The specifications were horribly written but the ASRock site seems fixed now.
    The next challenge will be getting it to post. For me that involved clearing CMOS and reflashing the IPMI controller.
    But the real achilles heal of this board is the Marvel 9230 controller. It intermittently fails drives under load, so use it cautiously, if at all.

Its still a nice board, but in real life its practical limits are 32GB ram and 8 SATA drives. With those constraints in mind you may find there are better options.

Marvell has noticed a hardware issue with the issue and is currently work on a firmware update. Meanwhile, users are recommended to use the temporary firmware to disable the Hardware RAID (Marvell SE9230) ASRock Rack > Support .

Any update on a firmware update for the Marvel controller? The temporary workaround has issues of its own, and I'd like to use those ports.

Quote Originally Posted by lusid1 View Post
    Any update on a firmware update for the Marvel controller? The temporary workaround has issues of its own, and I'd like to use those ports.
    Hi, Marvell has provided another firmware for the SE9230 controller. I can send it to you to test it out. Thank you! william@asrockamerica.com

Thread Information