Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Fatil1ty X99X Killer: Catalyst and Shutdown question

Splatoid is offline Junior Member

Default Fatil1ty X99X Killer: Catalyst and Shutdown question

Hi all
    I'm running windows 8.1 with a i7-5820K and 16GB DDR4 with a Samsung 250 SSD. I'm not overclocking.
    I am having a few problems I cant figure out. I tried to update Catalyst and it hangs. I remover the catalyst program but was afraid of uninstalling the drivers in fear that I wont be able to reinstalling. Although I did do a driver install directly from the device manager and that worked but I still don't have my program back.
    Any ideas on this one?

The next problem I'm unsure of is my system will act like its shutting down and exits out of windows and the screens lose signal but the computer will run for up to 20 min some times.
    When I try to use the restart option sometimes it just sits at the spinning circle for ever till I hit reset or force power off. There are some other wired symptoms involving shutdon in general and I'm thinking wither a bios reset or something up with my tower which is a coolmaster Stryker.
    Thanks for taking time to read this too long post.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Fatil1ty X99X Killer: Catalyst and Shutdown question

Quote Originally Posted by Splatoid View Post
    Hi all
    I'm running windows 8.1 with a i7-5820K and 16GB DDR4 with a Samsung 250 SSD. I'm not overclocking.
    I am having a few problems I cant figure out. I tried to update Catalyst and it hangs. I remover the catalyst program but was afraid of uninstalling the drivers in fear that I wont be able to reinstalling. Although I did do a driver install directly from the device manager and that worked but I still don't have my program back.
    Any ideas on this one?

The next problem I'm unsure of is my system will act like its shutting down and exits out of windows and the screens lose signal but the computer will run for up to 20 min some times.
    When I try to use the restart option sometimes it just sits at the spinning circle for ever till I hit reset or force power off. There are some other wired symptoms involving shutdon in general and I'm thinking wither a bios reset or something up with my tower which is a coolmaster Stryker.
    Thanks for taking time to read this too long post.
    When you say your system "... will act like its shutting down...", does that happen when you click on Shutdown, or just happens randomly?

My main question is, are you using a new, fresh installation of Windows on that PC? X99 boards are new, so a new installation can't be very old. Or did you clone a Windows installation from another drive to your SSD?

You should start a Windows CMD prompt, and run the command: sfc /scannow That will check your Windows installation for problems, and fix them if possible.

If you removed the Catalyst program but just manually installed the drivers, that explains why you don't have the Catalyst program. It is separate from the drivers, it's another program that is installed by the general Catalyst installation program.

You now should probably uninstall all the Catalyst programs and drivers, and install all of it over again. But if your PC is acting so strange in general, something else is going on.

I don't know how your tower (PC case) would affect a Windows shutdown, that is purely a software controlled action. You said "... other wired symptoms...", did you mean weird symptoms or something related to wiring in your case?

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    When you say your system "... will act like its shutting down...", does that happen when you click on Shutdown, or just happens randomly?

My main question is, are you using a new, fresh installation of Windows on that PC? X99 boards are new, so a new installation can't be very old. Or did you clone a Windows installation from another drive to your SSD?

You should start a Windows CMD prompt, and run the command: sfc /scannow That will check your Windows installation for problems, and fix them if possible.

If you removed the Catalyst program but just manually installed the drivers, that explains why you don't have the Catalyst program. It is separate from the drivers, it's another program that is installed by the general Catalyst installation program.

You now should probably uninstall all the Catalyst programs and drivers, and install all of it over again. But if your PC is acting so strange in general, something else is going on.

I don't know how your tower (PC case) would affect a Windows shutdown, that is purely a software controlled action. You said "... other wired symptoms...", did you mean weird symptoms or something related to wiring in your case?
    I replayed to you already but its not showing up. So to make it short. I did the sfc/scannow and it repaired 8 corrupt files and now its shutting down normal. Still no luck with Catalyst program. I realize the program and drivers are separate. But It is the vcredist_x64 that is hanging up. Thanks for the reply and tip with the scannow I have used this many time in windows 7 just forgot about it.

Just wanted to add some info. I reinstalled windows 8.1 and everything has been good for a few weeks. No previously problems at all. Must have been a bad install.

Quote Originally Posted by Splatoid View Post
    I replayed to you already but its not showing up. So to make it short. I did the sfc/scannow and it repaired 8 corrupt files and now its shutting down normal. Still no luck with Catalyst program. I realize the program and drivers are separate. But It is the vcredist_x64 that is hanging up. Thanks for the reply and tip with the scannow I have used this many time in windows 7 just forgot about it.
    Well its all sorted out. Windows 8.1 was the problem with everything.
    I reverted back to my windows 7 X64 and everything works as should.
    Windows 8 remindes me of Win ME and Vista in the fact that it seems so good at first drivers load better than the previous version things seem faster but in a short amount of thim it just degrades into a mess that you can never get right. I hope Win 10 fixes this mess.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Last edited by Splatoid; 01-29-2015 at 12:17 AM.

Thread Information