Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Happy Holidays !!!

rclark is offline Member

Default Happy Holidays !!!

Hope this is not too premature but would like to wish all the TweakTown staff,family and friends a very Happy Holiday. You all have been very helpful and educational [ almost got a master degree a while back in power supplies from the "Professor" (profJim) ]

Well, a quick note-- switched out my old Gigiabyte X58A UD3R Rev 2 ( 1366 board ) for a ASRock Z97 Killer board and did a couple of other new additions and all is running super stable and amazingly cool. Man the i5 4690k with this board runs great--still can't get use to the cool temps. Even updated to the 1.60 bios without a hiccup--- this is my first ASRock board ( I figured I will try all the different brands over time ), and have been really impressed with the stability and performance.
    Take Care -- rclark --
    of course now I am worried that I have jinxed myself and my new upgrade will crash and I will need to consult you folks --ha !!!

alicat is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Happy Holidays !!!

rclark, I just wanted to share that I also have the same Gigiabyte X58A UD3R board. I have been experiencing the same problems that you described in your thread "problem with cold start". After reading that you upgraded your board to an ASRock, I think I may need to do the same thing ASAP. But I need an LGA 1366 to go with my i7 CPU. My machine will boot but shuts down in less than a minute :( I'm thinking that the booting/shutdown issues are specific to the Gigabyte board. Good to hear that the ASRock is working well for you, I'll take a look at those boards or maybe ASUS too which also has good reviews.

rclark is offline Member

Hey alicat,
    I was looking for another Intel LGA 1366 motherboard to go with my i7 930 cpu but they were way more expensive than what I could buy a new i-5 1150 motherboard for. I believe I just had some minor compatibility issues with something on this original build -still not sure, but really am enjoying this new upgrade. I do some flight simming and this build really runs things smoothly and very cool ( still can't get over the temps ) I think Asus is a good company also ( lots of folks buying their stuff for sure ), not that ASRock is the underdog but they seem not to get the attention as much as Asus does so I thought I would go with them based on this ( weird isn't it ? ) I also have read a lot about Team Group memory and thought I'd give them a go ( vs Corsair, Crucial or GSkill that you hear a lot of ) -- so far great stuff !!!
    I found a site called pcpartpicker that is a good resource for pricing stuff, on the very right of the page after you select the category you are shopping for you can select the specific make you are looking for and it will give you several places for the better prices,
    here's the link Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker
    Happy New Year !! rclark

alicat is offline Junior Member

rclark, thanks for the great link to the pcpartpicker website, looks quite useful. It's true that the 1366 mobos are basically obsolete. My build has lasted since 2011 so I can't complain too much. I guess 2015 was too much for it to handle :) Time to face the music and invest in a new CPU. I may even kick it down a notch and get something like a i5-4430 3.0 GHz, I probably wouldn't even notice the speed difference. I have GSkill memory but good to know about Team Group. Happy PCing!

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rclark View Post
    Hope this is not too premature but would like to wish all the TweakTown staff,family and friends a very Happy Holiday. You all have been very helpful and educational [ almost got a master degree a while back in power supplies from the "Professor" (profJim) ]

Well, a quick note-- switched out my old Gigiabyte X58A UD3R Rev 2 ( 1366 board ) for a ASRock Z97 Killer board and did a couple of other new additions and all is running super stable and amazingly cool. Man the i5 4690k with this board runs great--still can't get use to the cool temps. ...
    I'm curious about your statement about the low temperature(s?) of your ASRock Z97 system compared to your Gigabyte X58 system.

I have two generally similar systems, an ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 board with either an i5-4670K or a G3258 processor, and an Asus SaberTooth X58 board with an i7-930.

While I would not characterize the X58 PC as cool running, but Haswell processors are known to become very hot, particularly when stress testing with AVX2 instructions. My i5-4670K system, originally used with an ASRock Z87 board, was the first one I ever had where the processor became hot enough to cause it to thermal throttle its speed, because it reached 100C on one or more of its cores. That was with a moderate OC and an aftermarket cooler.

OTOH, the TDP of an i5 or i7 Haswell processor is 84 - 88W, while the TDP of an i7-9xx processor is 130W, so the latter could produce more heat. But heat output and temperature are not necessarily the same thing.

I'm not saying your comments are wrong, I can't say that, how do I know what your X58 system temperatures were. I'm just wondering about your comments.

rclark is offline Member

Hey alicat, yeah as far as speed is concerned I am not sure if that was the benefit of this upgrade for me but more for stablility. Honestly I would not have upgraded to this current build had everything run fairly solid and was continuing so. I think the i7-930 still has quite a kick still, I just was afraid after close to 5 years and with a few scary skadoo's this thing was going to quit for good so, I just started saving and shopping and put in these new components. I wish you well on your upgrading.

rclark is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I'm curious about your statement about the low temperature(s?) of your ASRock Z97 system compared to your Gigabyte X58 system.

I have two generally similar systems, an ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 board with either an i5-4670K or a G3258 processor, and an Asus SaberTooth X58 board with an i7-930.

While I would not characterize the X58 PC as cool running, but Haswell processors are known to become very hot, particularly when stress testing with AVX2 instructions. My i5-4670K system, originally used with an ASRock Z87 board, was the first one I ever had where the processor became hot enough to cause it to thermal throttle its speed, because it reached 100C on one or more of its cores. That was with a moderate OC and an aftermarket cooler.

OTOH, the TDP of an i5 or i7 Haswell processor is 84 - 88W, while the TDP of an i7-9xx processor is 130W, so the latter could produce more heat. But heat output and temperature are not necessarily the same thing.

I'm not saying your comments are wrong, I can't say that, how do I know what your X58 system temperatures were. I'm just wondering about your comments.

Hey parsec,

Well, as far as temps go, my idle temps right now are 20,22,19,23 ( C ), after doing some flight simming ( a few nights ago ) I checked my temp log for core temp and the hottest core was 45C. I do not have my 4690k overclocked. If these temps are some sort of anomaly, well all I can say is I will greatly accept the temps and stability with the performance. My old i7 930 with the X58 mb, would idle around 30 C and max out around 54-55 C while running flight sims. I am using the same Corsiar H50 aftermarket cooler so I just accept that the i5 1150 runs cooler,( I was guessing probably due to less wattage requirements ) Anyway, hope I wasn't seeming as to exaggerate things as we have all seen folks do in regards to how amazing their new builds do, I was just stating how impressed I was with the performance,stability and temps so far. Again, the main thing with this new build is that everything apparently works great together and I am relieved, for one thing if it wasn't my wife would kill me !!!!

parsec is offline Senior Member

I see what you mean, and no, those CPU temperatures are not an anomaly, I have virtually identical idle temperatures from my i5-4670K.

I can understand your reaction coming from an i7-930 system to an i5-4690K system, without experiencing anything from Intel in between. The release of Sandy Bridge processors was an amazing thing, they were fast, ran cooler, over clocked like crazy, and were relatively inexpensive, plus were actually Mainstream processors rather than the i7-9xx series being classified HEDT. I use Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processors, so Haswell was not as much of a surprise for me.

You're right about the TDP differences, and there are other important differences. The low idle power usage of these processors since Sandy Bridge, which has improved with each generation, is amazing in Haswell CPUs, nothing else can match it. Of course running at 800MHz and having the C7 processor state at idle is not a fair comparison with the i7-9xx processors. Running Haswell processors at stock clocks with good cooling will not give you any temperature problems.

But once you OC them and run stress tests (particularly with AVX2 instructions), things change. That's what is stuck in my mind about Haswell processors, and it is unusual for someone to say Haswell processors run cool, if you have that in mind.

rclark is offline Member

Hey parsec,
    I see what you are talking about now, that clears up the mystery. Yeah, I have not tried to overclock this cpu, I figured I would wait a while to insure stablility and all before attempting any overclocking ( if I even do overclock )
    Thanks so much for clarifying this, and thanks for the good info,
    take care-- rc

Thread Information