Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boot times Z97 Extreme6 vs Z77 OC Formula?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Boot times Z97 Extreme6 vs Z77 OC Formula?

Hard to say what is the cause of that. I have a Z77 Extreme 4 board, and I never thought it was slower in benchmarks with my SSDs. I never compared the two boards with the same SSD, I should say. I've never heard anything about the newer Intel chipsets having better SATA performance.

I don't know about the SATA driver being flawed, or just different. I don't know what driver you have on the Z77 PC, or what version of IRST if you use that on the Z77, or on the Z97 PC.

Sometimes different boards have slightly different SATA performance, I've seen that in reviews. Are both PCs constantly running at their OC speed, or do you use any CPU power saving options? Power saving options definitely reduce benchmark performance, although yours don't seem to be affected in all areas.

Ken429 is offline Senior Member

parsec,

Well, I broke down and took the Sandisk Extreme Pro on the Z77 Extreme4/2600K and hooked it up on the Z97 Extreme6/4790K system as the D: vs the C: on the Z77 System. The ATTO results below are even a little better that the Wow above! So...IRST is different, 13.1.0.1058 on the Z97 Extreme6 and 12.8.0.1016 on the Z77 Extreme4 but I find it had to believe that is the difference. After all the problems I've had with IRST versions over the years I'm reluctant to fool around with changing version on the Z97 Extreme4 since it is working. I'm sure I'm chasing smoke but it is curious that the results are that much different.
    Attached Images Attached Images Boot times Z97 Extreme6 vs Z77 OC Formula?-sandisk-extreme-pro-2600k-4790k-png 

parsec is offline Senior Member

I didn't realize you were using the Sandisk EX Pro as the OS drive in the Z77 PC. I guess you use your first EX Pro as the OS drive too, correct? Both were tested when being used as an OS drive, is that right?

Any drive or SSD will perform somewhat slower when it is an OS drive. Windows is constantly reading from and writing to the OS drive, particularly for several minutes after you boot the PC. The benchmark program does not own the SSD when it is running, Windows interrupts it with work any time it needs to.

Comparing benchmark tests on SSDs used as OS drives is a good way to make you crazy. Do they have identical software, how many background processes are running, did you clone the OS installation to one SSD and not the other, are the drivers the same, were both PCs at a solid idle state after being on for say 10 minutes with nothing else running, the list is almost endless.

I'm sure the new EX Pro is fine, just non-identical test conditions leading to different results.

Ken429 is offline Senior Member

Yes, both Sandisk Extreme Pro's were originally tested when they were the W8.1 boot drives.
    Yes, both Sandisk Extreme Pro's were cloned (EaseUS 8.0) from the MX100's that were the original boot drives.
    Yes, both cloned systems were originally fresh installs of W8.1.
    Yes, I let the systems run after booting until Task Manager showed minimal cpu usage before running Atto.
    Yes, both systems are running similar software. I can't say 100% because of the Z77 vs Z97 drivers.
    Yes, both systems are using power saving options.
    Yes, I'm sure the Sandisk Extreme Pro on the Z77 system is just fine.
    Yes, I have run the Atto test multiple times on both systems and come up with almost the exact same results.

But....I can't explain why the test results are so much different on the low end.
    0.5 - 51% of Z97 Atto test
    1.0 - 57% of Z97 Atto test
    2.0 - 63% of Z97 Atto test
    4.0 - Needle Quiver
    8.0 - Needle Quiver
    16.0 - 34% of Z97 Atto test!
    ...... - Needle Quiver

Got to be something a miss with the Z77 Chip or Z77 SATA Drivers or maybe Atto does not like the Ultra fast SSD on a Z77 system?! I have used OCZ SSD's, Mushkin SSD's and Crucial SSD's as boot drives using multiple sizes and never noticed such a dramatic difference on the low end of the Atto test. But those drive were MUCH slower on the low end to begin with.
    Last edited by Ken429; 01-12-2015 at 05:06 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information