Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z77 Exreme 4 5 questions!

Default Z77 Exreme 4 5 questions!

Hello!
    I was looking at the websight for the bios downloads. In the search bar there was a Z77 Extreme 4 and a Z77 Extreme 4-M. This is the mobo i got from newegg. ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com Which board is it?

. What is the "good" post code I am looking for on the mobo?

If I need my CPU installed can i test the mobo for the "good" post code without having my CPU fan on it or will it instantly overheat and destroy my CPU?

I do not want to set up my whole computer and install everything and then learn I have a DOA mobo. What are the minimum components I need to have installed for me to plug it in and turn it on to read the post codes and make sure it is running smoothly before I attach it to my case?

Which sata connecters on the mobo would I use for the best possible speed for a SSD, The First two grey ones? middel gray ones or the black ones?

Thank you!

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Z77 Exreme 4 5 questions!

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    Hello!
    I was looking at the websight for the bios downloads. In the search bar there was a Z77 Extreme 4 and a Z77 Extreme 4-M. This is the mobo i got from newegg. ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com Which board is it?
    Given the link you provided, you have the Z77 Extreme 4. The Z77 Extreme 4-M is a Micro ATX board, which is a smaller form factor that is able to fit in small PC cases.

. What is the "good" post code I am looking for on the mobo?
    POST codes are used to identify the various tests that occur during POST. If one of those tests fails, and a board can display the codes, the failed POST test code is displayed and the POST process stops. So POST codes only indicate an error of some kind if a test fails and it is displayed.

When/if you enter the BIOS UI, which is allowed only if POST completes successfully, the last POST code in the test sequence (usually A2 on ASRock boards) is shown on the display. That does not indicate an error, and is not meant to indicate POST was successful. A code for "POST was completed successfully" does not exist, but the single short beep you will hear when POST is complete is the indication that POST finished successfully. You must connect the small POST beep code speaker to the board, or you won't hear any beeps.

If I need my CPU installed can i test the mobo for the "good" post code without having my CPU fan on it or will it instantly overheat and destroy my CPU?
    You minimally must have a CPU and compatible memory installed, or POST will not be able to run, you'll just get a CPU or memory error. You also need a keyboard and mouse connected for POST to almost complete. If no drives are connected to the PC, POST will stop with one of the SATA POST codes, probably A2.

You cannot run a CPU for more than a few seconds without a heatsink!! The CPU will shut itself off before it is damaged (hopefully!), probably before POST completes. I would never operate a processor without a heatsink, or suggest anyone do that. Since your goal of getting a good POST code is not really valid, forget about this "test".

I do not want to set up my whole computer and install everything and then learn I have a DOA mobo. What are the minimum components I need to have installed for me to plug it in and turn it on to read the post codes and make sure it is running smoothly before I attach it to my case?
    Answered above.

Which sata connecters on the mobo would I use for the best possible speed for a SSD, The First two grey ones? middel gray ones or the black ones?

Thank you!
    The best SATA III ports are the Intel SATA III ports, which are the middle gray ports. The top gray ports are for the ASMedia "SATA III" chipset, which is connected to one PCIe 2.0 lane, whose speed is 5Gb/s, not the full 6Gb/s of true SATA III.

The four black SATA ports are the Intel SATA II ports.

The ASMedia SATA chipset is designed to work only with one PCIe 2.0 lane, so that is not a limitation caused by ASRock. Personally, I would use the Intel SATA II ports with an SSD before I would use the ASMedia "kinda, almost" SATA III ports. That is, if the Intel SATA III ports were being used.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Given the link you provided, you have the Z77 Extreme 4. The Z77 Extreme 4-M is a Micro ATX board, which is a smaller form factor that is able to fit in small PC cases.

POST codes are used to identify the various tests that occur during POST. If one of those tests fails, and a board can display the codes, the failed POST test code is displayed and the POST process stops. So POST codes only indicate an error of some kind if a test fails and it is displayed.

When/if you enter the BIOS UI, which is allowed only if POST completes successfully, the last POST code in the test sequence (usually A2 on ASRock boards) is shown on the display. That does not indicate an error, and is not meant to indicate POST was successful. A code for "POST was completed successfully" does not exist, but the single short beep you will hear when POST is complete is the indication that POST finished successfully. You must connect the small POST beep code speaker to the board, or you won't hear any beeps.

You minimally must have a CPU and compatible memory installed, or POST will not be able to run, you'll just get a CPU or memory error. You also need a keyboard and mouse connected for POST to almost complete. If no drives are connected to the PC, POST will stop with one of the SATA POST codes, probably A2.

You cannot run a CPU for more than a few seconds without a heatsink!! The CPU will shut itself off before it is damaged (hopefully!), probably before POST completes. I would never operate a processor without a heatsink, or suggest anyone do that. Since your goal of getting a good POST code is not really valid, forget about this "test".

Answered above.

The best SATA III ports are the Intel SATA III ports, which are the middle gray ports. The top gray ports are for the ASMedia "SATA III" chipset, which is connected to one PCIe 2.0 lane, whose speed is 5Gb/s, not the full 6Gb/s of true SATA III.

The four black SATA ports are the Intel SATA II ports.

The ASMedia SATA chipset is designed to work only with one PCIe 2.0 lane, so that is not a limitation caused by ASRock. Personally, I would use the Intel SATA II ports with an SSD before I would use the ASMedia "kinda, almost" SATA III ports. That is, if the Intel SATA III ports were being used.

You Rock man thank you very much for doing all of that for me, I very much appreciate it.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Glad to help, thanks for that!

Forgot to mention, I have a Z77 Extreme 4 board, which has an annoying habit of not doing the one short beep POST Ok thing consistently.

If you enter the BIOS, when you exit you'll get the single POST Ok beep, but if you just boot up the PC with no visit to the BIOS, you won't get the beep. That is, IIRC, I have too many boards to remember all their quirks!

Thread Information