Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Asus Z97E-itx/AC - no USB on boot to Windows from Ubuntu Linux

Default Asus Z97E-itx/AC - no USB on boot to Windows from Ubuntu Linux

Hello Guys,

I think I have identified a bug in the BIOS of the Z97E-itx/AC motherboard.

I have two independent SSD's in my computer, one for Windows 7 and the other for Ubuntu Linux 14.04. I use the BIOS boot menu to select between the two boot drives.

When I boot into Ubuntu the USB keyboard and mouse always work. However, when I boot into Windows 7, after having previously run Ubuntu, none of the USB ports work.

In order to get the USB ports working again in Windows 7 I have to cycle the power and then go into the BIOS setup menu on power up. I don't make any changes to the BIOS settings, just use the USB keyboard a little. Then when I boot into Windows 7 the USB ports work.

It seems to me that the BIOS is not completely reinitializing the USB ports for Windows and some kind of hardware setting is retained from Linux.

I am running the latest BIOS version, 1.30.

Pete

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Asus Z97E-itx/AC - no USB on boot to Windows from Ubuntu Linux

You might have found some problem in the BIOS, but...

Do you have the Fast Boot option enabled, and set to Fast? If so, that may be causing the USB port problem.

OTOH, your idea about something left over from Linux is probably correct. I've noticed curious behavior with keyboards and mice that is somehow related to a driver installation that is seemingly carried over when the OS drive is removed from the PC. I've yet to figure out how that works.
    Last edited by parsec; 12-27-2014 at 01:28 PM.

SandsOfTime is offline Member

this *might* has to do with this USB setting:

Intel USB 3.0 Mode
    Select Intel® USB 3.0 controller mode. Set [Smart Auto] to keep the USB 3.0 driver
    enabled after rebooting (USB 3.0 is enabled in BIOS). Set [Auto] to automatically
    enable the USB 3.0 driver after entering the OS (USB 3.0 is disabled in BIOS). Set
    [Enabled] to keep the USB 3.0 driver enabled (Must install driver to use USB devices
    under Windows® 7). Set [Disabled] to disable the USB 3.0 ports.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    You might have found some problem in the BIOS, but...

Do you have the Fast Boot option enabled, and set to Fast? If so, that may be causing the USB port problem.

OTOH, your idea about something left over from Linux is probably correct. I've noticed curious behavior with keyboards and mice that is somehow related to a driver installation that is seemingly carried over when the OS drive is removed from the PC. I've yet to figure out how that works.

Well I checked the Fast Boot setting in the BIOS and it has been Disabled since I built the machine.

Linux does hard reboot while windows does soft. When you encounter this problem, doesn't the reset button of case help?
    When you have no mouse and keyboard, how do you enter bios setup or select OS from boot menu? Via a PS2 keyboard?

Default Re: ASRock Z97E-itx/AC - no USB on boot to Windows from Ubuntu Linux

Quote Originally Posted by bahram_alinezhad View Post
    Linux does hard reboot while windows does soft. When you encounter this problem, doesn't the reset button of case help?
    When you have no mouse and keyboard, how do you enter bios setup or select OS from boot menu? Via a PS2 keyboard?
    Bahram,

Thanks for your interest. During boot-up I can hit the Delete key and go into the BIOS setup. The keyboard and mouse are then active for navigating those menus.

If I boot strait into Windows 7 after running Linux no USB ports will be available.

I should make a correction to the title of this post. The machine in question is an ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac not ASUS. Sorry ASUS, I wish I had bought an ASUS now.

I have been in contact with ASRock tech support and they said it would be forwarded to headquarters. :-)

Looks like some ACPI problem or incompatibility. USB ports are working but windows doesn't initialize them. I would test with other windows versions.
    I don't believe ASUS is better than ASrock! They are close in the matter of quality. In 2008, ASUS delivered virus infected Eee PCs. I personally have seen "thumbs.db" on ASUS driver disks! These are all sign of negligence and carelessness highly below level of a professional company.
    Not much choices; These are nevertheless better among others. (Asus and Asrock)

Thread Information