Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: z97 extreme 4 + I7 4790k= very bad defaults?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: z97 extreme 4 + I7 4790k= very bad defaults?

What is the maximum voltage in IXTU? It may drop just below 1.1V, but not stay there for long. If you put the mouse pointer over the CPU core voltage reading in the lower right part of the screen, it will show the maximum and average voltage.

Are you at stock clocks?

Gdgiordano is offline Junior Member

I am using the 4.5 OC preset profile from ASrock. The max is just above 1.2 and drops to 1.08+ but stays stable there till the test ends.

Nothing wrong with that at all, but could be said to be expected from an i7-4790K, since its normal Turbo speed is 4.4GHz. But having all cores at 4.5 is not running only one notch above specs.

Nice low voltage, 1.2V, if you want to go higher then your own personal limits for voltage and temperature will determine how high.

What are you using for the maximum power and current limits now? Seems you aren't throttling due to power (time) limits kicking in.

BTW, those default power and current limits don't seem to be set according to the processor being used, they are the same for an i7-4790K or a Pentium G3258. With the high power limits the only thing left to protect the processor is the core temperature limit of ~100C, which is set in the processor and is not something that can or should be changed. Apparently this protection can be turned off in the UEFI but I would never do that.

Interesting. They are mostly defaults. Long and short at 1000. Current limit 1000. Pushing that 4.5 with no current, heat or power throttles. It is definately stable. This being said I would not even be in the ballpark without my h80i watercooler. Intel really screwed the pooch on the stock cooler for this GPU.

I've never bothered trying the Intel stock cooler for years, so I don't know if it would be enough for an IXTU stress test for a Haswell processor at stock clock speeds. I doubt that it would be.

Intel does not consider a CPU stress test that operates a processor at 100% usage for hours or even several minutes, to be a realistic usage scenario for most PC users. That is true for most people, and is why the stock Intel cooler is good enough for those users.

Those high current and power limit settings are a method to allow over clocking via Turbo boost, which normally would only last for a short period of time. You are the first person that I have seen actually question those power limit settings, which I really should say makes more sense than just accepting or ignoring them. IMO most people don't realize the purpose of those power limit settings. I hope I did not appear to be condescending when I explained them, the only point I wanted to make that matters is a processor won't try to use or be supplied with 1000W of power when the Power Limit is set to 1000W. Being concerned about those values is not unreasonable, actually the opposite is more so.

You should be able to accomplish the same result (no Turbo time limit) by increasing the Turbo Boost Power Time Window to hundreds of thousand seconds, with lower Power Limit values. I can't recall any BIOS that has the Turbo Boost Power Time Window as an option that can be configured. Possibly some do, but I've never seen or heard of it. The only place I've seen that allows the Time Limit value to be configured is in IXTU.

Why the Power Limit values are used instead of the Time Window setting, I don't know. I imagine it appears more impressive to have high power limit values. When one manufacture does it that way, the others follow. Or possibly that method is what Intel suggests be used, not that they would do so to the public.

Well I mean can you blame me for questioning that? It doesn't exactly say that it only gets used if the power is right. The stock cooler was doing 60 on the desktop and bios. That's bad. I even tried under clocking to 4.0. This is in a gaming comp. I am not looking for crazy clock speed just cool crisp preformance.

No I don't blame you, I never thought about it in the way you did but my background in electronics told me that is wasn't a problem. Plus I knew why those values were used from my understanding of how Intel's Turbo 2.0 worked with over clocking. It is interesting that I've never seen anyone question it, since it should catch the attention of some people. I assume most people assume default BIOS settings are safe and reasonable, or are afraid to ask about it.

Your reaction given the CPU temperature makes sense, if you are not aware of how hot Haswell processors can be. The CPU power saving options by default are set on Auto, and that is actually disabled for C States. Plus other default BIOS settings tend to cause the processor to run warm. Throw the stock Intel cooler into that and you get the CPU temperature you had.

If you haven't built an Intel based system in several years, or ever, then jumping into it with a Haswell system will be surprising, to put it mildly.

Yeah I've been an AMD guy for a long time. My last build had a phenom 2x4 840. It's been a while on diffetent stuff. I've never had an overclocking capible setup so I'm being cautious and weirded out by it.

Well that explains things perfectly! Haswell processors were even a surprise to people that have built Intel systems for years.

Intel also changed the way over clocking of their processors must be done a few processor generations ago. Coming from a reference point before that, even if you were familiar with the earlier Intel processors that over clocked very differently, would be shocking.

So I just got a temp reading of -22. Obviously that cant be right. Should I be alarmed?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information