Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ASRock X99 Extreme11 Motherboard - Constant Restarts Due To WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

VaughanJer is offline Junior Member

Exclamation ASRock X99 Extreme11 Motherboard - Constant Restarts Due To WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

I'm really in a jam here. I start a new job on Monday, and I really need a stable PC. I had a horribly long and painful experience with getting all my components shipped to me, which ate up so much precious time, and now I'm left with a few days to sort out this issue. Based on my research of the first problem I don't think there is an actual hardware issue with the motherboard that would require it to be replaced, but that's why I'm here... to see if I'm wrong.

Okay, the issue... as stated in the title my PC constantly blue screens (or whatever Windows 8.1 calls it now) and restarts. It's a ticking time bomb and happens at any given moment really, and I'm noticing thousands of the following events in my Event Viewer prior to the whole system eventually crashing (I'm typing it out in case my attachment doesn't work):

Level - Warning
    Source - WHEA-Logger
    Event ID - 17

A connected hardware error has occurred.

Component PCI Express Root Port
    Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x2:0x0
    Vendor ID:Device ID 0x8086:0x2F04
    Class Code: 0x030400

I've read for days about how this is/was happening to A LOT of people with the X99 chipset and that many manufacturers have released an updated BIOS to fix it, and it's reportedly been working. My motherboard is sadly still at the initial BIOS release... v1.00... since September.

When will ASRock be releasing a BIOS update for the X99 Extreme11 motherboard, or is there another suggested fix for this? I'm running all of the latest motherboard drivers directly from the ASRock website as well as the latest drivers from NVIDIA (EVGA provides the exact same file as well on their site). I have NOTHING installed on the system other than up to date drivers and Windows updates, but the crashing starting happening even before installing any Windows updates and throughout the driver install process beforehand. It also crashed during the end of the Windows 8.1 install. I did finally manage to get Windows 8.1 installed cleanly (I completely wiped the partition each time and started over) along with all of my hardware drivers, but the system still crashes frequently and I observed the above event constantly even though I somehow dodged a crash on my final attempt to get Windows and the drivers installed. I HAVE NOT overclocked anything or changed any BIOS settings... it's literally a stock and bare system aside from Windows, drivers, and Windows updates.

My second issue is that I can't seem to get the LSI SAS controller to be recognized even after installing the drivers from the ASRock website. Actually, I don't even see any evidence of it at boot either like I do with all my servers at work... there is usually a RAID boot screen that shows up after the initial boot screen/options. This second problem may point to a hardware issue, and I would like to get it sorted out, but for now my main issue is definitely the system crashes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images ASRock X99 Extreme11 Motherboard - Constant Restarts Due To WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR-unnamed-png 

stefano.balzarotti is offline Junior Member

Default Re: ASRock X99 Extreme11 Motherboard - Constant Restarts Due To WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

I have exactly the same problem, let me know if you find a solution.
    Meanwhile I've tried to contact the technical support.
    Last edited by stefano.balzarotti; 01-17-2015 at 04:51 AM.

Default Re: ASRock X99 Extreme11 Motherboard - Constant Restarts Due To WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

Hey there! So it looks like we are in the same boat, and more and more cases seem to be popping up online. I did actual contact ASRock support and got the following message back a few days later:

"Hello,

Sorry about the issue you are having. Please try with just one stick of memory insert it on(A1)slot first.
    enter into the UEFI bios and press F9 (load default setting). This step bring everything back to the factory most stable setting.
    Please try to replica the problem. If the problem still persist. Please contact the seller for mainboard exchange."

I've tried that several times already, as well as moving my video card to another PCIe slot... nothing seemed to work. I also noticed that I couldn't find any trace of the LSI SAS chip in my BIOS of device manager, so I definitely thought something was wrong with the motherboard. I ordered a new one and worked with Newegg to get a refund on my first motherboard, where normally you can only do an RMA exchange... so I got a new one overnight essentially.

I installed the new one a couple days ago (the evening of 1/14/15 I believe). I still can't see the LSI SAS chip anywhere. Initially, for about 10 hours immediately after installing the new motherboard and at random extended durations for the first two days, I saw either ZERO WHEA-Logger events or a very small amount. Now tonight, I'm back to getting about a thousand of these events an hour out of nowhere. I have made zero software changes between the old and new motherboard. Somehow after 2-3 days of use this new motherboard went from me jumping up and down with joy that the event was gone to feeling like I wasted more time. And seriously, where is the damn LSI SAS stuff!? I now have $1200 invested into this motherboard until my refund processes, and still zero answers or any real help from ASRock at all. I'm also on my third Corsair AX1500i PSU (another $1200 invested) because I got a bad one initially and the second time my fan was loud. The third PSU seems to be solid (and quiet), and was installed new with the new motherboard.

I am not a happy customer at all. I strongly feel that we need a BIOS update per my research of this WHEA-Logger event and other people's experiences.

I have a thread going on the EVGA forum too regarding this too. Those folks have been very helpful, but so far all of the stuff we've tried over there hasn't worked except for some initial luck that I had for a few hours after moving my graphics card down a slot and re-seating it.
    http://forums.evga.com/<wbr>FindPost/2279588

Good luck man. Let me know if you find any solutions, and I'll do the same for you and post here.

Which exact model graphics card do you have installed? I'm wondering if my issue is because my card is slightly overclocked from the factory by EVGA.

My graphic card is a Gigabyte GTX 750, the card worked without problems on my old pc, so I have reasons to suspect that the problem is not related with the video card.
    Thank you for your cooperation,I'm looking for informations, and it appears that the problem is related with the X99 chipset.
    Many motherboards also of other brands have had similar problems and them solved with a bios update.

Quote Originally Posted by stefano.balzarotti View Post
    My graphic card is a Gigabyte GTX 750, the card worked without problems on my old pc, so I have reasons to suspect that the problem is not related with the video card.
    Thank you for your cooperation,I'm looking for informations, and it appears that the problem is related with the X99 chipset.
    Many motherboards also of other brands have had similar problems and them solved with a bios update.
    I completely agree with your statement regarding the X99 chipset. This is very frustrating, and I can't return this motherboard for a refund and buy a different one. I can only replace it with the same board, which I've already done.

Aside from the WHEA-Logger issue, do you see any trace of your LSI SAS controller in your device manager or at system boot? I see no trace of mine (on both motherboards that I've had), but I have seen screenshots online of people using/testing this board and showing what I'm missing. The manual makes absolutely no reference to LSI other than in the motherboard diagram and port layout pages. Other ASRock boards, as someone has shown me, have a menu in their BIOS to enable and disable LSI.

I'm curious to know what your board shows...

Someone from ASRock (unless I'm mistaken and the "Tech Support From Vendors" section is the wrong place for help) needs to step in and address this.

Quote Originally Posted by VaughanJer View Post
    Aside from the WHEA-Logger issue, do you see any trace of your LSI SAS controller in your device manager or at system boot? I see no trace of mine (on both motherboards that I've had), but I have seen screenshots online of people using/testing this board and showing what I'm missing. The manual makes absolutely no reference to LSI other than in the motherboard diagram and port layout pages. Other ASRock boards, as someone has shown me, have a menu in their BIOS to enable and disable LSI.

I'm curious to know what your board shows...
    No, I can't find any type of references about LSI both in UEFI menu and device manager.
    I also tried to search with the help of AIDA64, but it seems that doesn't exist.
    Can be possible that it will enabled only when you mount a SAS drive?

Quote Originally Posted by VaughanJer View Post
    Someone from ASRock (unless I'm mistaken and the "Tech Support From Vendors" section is the wrong place for help) needs to step in and address this

parsec is offline Senior Member

Can't help you with the BSOD issues, but the LSI SAS issues can be fixed.

You first need to download the LSI Floppy Image ver:2.50.70.01 file from your board's download page. Once extracted, you'll find a text document that describes the basic LSI SAS driver installation, and a User Guide PDF file. Those should answer your questions, as the manual's information on the LSI controller is MIA.

There is also a LSI SAS Windows utility, the LSI SAS Utility ver:14.05.02.00, that is described in the User Guide.

Once the main LSI SAS driver is installed (the one I listed above), then a UEFI option might appear, hopefully that is explained in the LSI documents.

Many ASRock boards will have supplemental manuals in the box about included software. Any chance a LSI manual is included?

I get the feeling that X99 boards were rather rushed out the door by all the manufactures.

I've found a workaround for WHEA Error, Asrock does not fulfill the PCI-Express 3.0 Spec, so if you set in UEFI menu PCIE Gen1 the error will disappear.
    The section is Advanced->Chipset Configuration->PCIE1.2.3.4 and 5 Link Speed
    This is not a solution, in fact I feel very frustrated to not being able to use the PCI Express 3.0 on a card that I paid more than € 500.
    However, now it is at least possible to use a stable system.
    We hope that Asrock will release as soon a bios update that solve the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Can't help you with the BSOD issues, but the LSI SAS issues can be fixed.

You first need to download the LSI Floppy Image ver:2.50.70.01 file from your board's download page. Once extracted, you'll find a text document that describes the basic LSI SAS driver installation, and a User Guide PDF file. Those should answer your questions, as the manual's information on the LSI controller is MIA.

There is also a LSI SAS Windows utility, the LSI SAS Utility ver:14.05.02.00, that is described in the User Guide.

Once the main LSI SAS driver is installed (the one I listed above), then a UEFI option might appear, hopefully that is explained in the LSI documents.

Many ASRock boards will have supplemental manuals in the box about included software. Any chance a LSI manual is included?

I get the feeling that X99 boards were rather rushed out the door by all the manufactures.
    I will give this a shot and report back! Thanks!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information