Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Dear ASRock, Please add this to your BIOS files

Hlafordlaes is offline Junior Member

Default Dear ASRock, Please add this to your BIOS files

The ComputerId registry items get filled at boot using data from the BIOS. If not found, the default string "To be filled by O.E.M." is used. Not that this changes life much, but many good tools for getting information on your system will read and display this data from the HKLM registry, instead of looking at, say, the OEM Support data in Windows (PC Info in Win8.1), which is a second source many users can indeed tweak. Not so the BIOS.

I think that at least the premium or higher priced ASRock boards should be able to "strut their stuff" by proudly identifying themselves at boot. Please fill this data in the BIOS area reserved for it. Thx!
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Default Re: Dear ASRock, Please add this to your BIOS files

Quote Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
    The ComputerId registry items get filled at boot using data from the BIOS. If not found, the default string "To be filled by O.E.M." is used.
    I seem to remember this question coming up when I was building my last system on a Z77 Extreme a few years ago - IIRC the answer was that system builders using ASRock boards have some way to update the BIOS code and then re-flash. I did try to look at it briefly but it wasn't obvious/easy so I didn't pursue it.

I agree with you though - it would be better to have a sensible name by default ("ASRock" at least), then if system builders decided they wanted to overwrite it with something else then they could still do so.

"To be filled by O.E.M." and other information is stored in DMI tables in the BIOS.
    There is one table for each componenent.

You can look at them easily by using this tool:
    http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gnu...e-2.10-bin.zip

Unpack it and open the subfolder "sbin" in a command-prompt, then enter this commands:
    dmidecode -t0
    dmidecode -t1
    dmidecode -t2

As you can see there is one table for BIOS, one for the system and one for the mainboard.
    "System" means the whole computer system including case and drive, thats why it is "To be filled by O.E.M.", because many systems can have the same mainboard.
    The mainboard table contains the right information.
    Last edited by scp; 01-02-2015 at 01:16 PM.

Hlafordlaes is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by scp View Post
    "To be filled by O.E.M." and other information is stored in DMI tables in the BIOS.
    There is one table for each componenent.

You can look at them easily by using this tool:
    http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gnu...e-2.10-bin.zip

Unpack it and open the subfolder "sbin" in a command-prompt, then enter this commands:
    dmidecode -t0
    dmidecode -t1
    dmidecode -t2

As you can see there is one table for BIOS, one for the system and one for the mainboard.
    "System" means the whole computer system including case and drive, thats why it is "To be filled by O.E.M.", because many systems can have the same mainboard.
    The mainboard table contains the right information.
    Thanks for that. I'll have a look.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Thread Information