Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Z97 Extreme6 Build and WD External HD Not Powering Down?

kephafan is offline Junior Member

Question My Z97 Extreme6 Build and WD External HD Not Powering Down?

If I understand correctly, the USB's on my rear I/O stay powered on even when the PC is powered off.
    This keeps my WD My Book external HD from powering down with the PC as it used to with an "off the shelf"
    PC. The ExHD stays in stand-by mode.
    Is there a way to change the USB settings so that I have one dedicated USB plug in that will power down with
    the PC?
    Thank you,
    kephafan
    ASRock Z97 Extreme6 ATX LGA 1150--Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0 GHz Quad-Core LGA 1150--EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC 2.0 ACX GPU--Corsair H80i 120mm Liquid Cooler--Kingston HyperX Predator Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-2666--EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80+ Gold Modular--Thermaltake Overseer RX-I ATX Full Tower--Crucial MX100 128GB SATA III MLC 2.5" SSD--Crucial MX100 256GB SATA III MLC 2.5" SSD--WD 500GB 3.5" 7200 RPM HDD--WD My Book 4TB External HD--Windows 10--1 extra top-mount Thermaltake 200mm Blue LED exhaust fan.

Britgeezer is offline Member

Default Re: My Z97 Extreme6 Build and WD External HD Not Powering Down?

Quote Originally Posted by kephafan View Post
    If I understand correctly, the USB's on my rear I/O stay powered on even when the PC is powered off.
    This keeps my WD My Book external HD from powering down with the PC as it used to with an "off the shelf"
    Is there a way to change the USB settings so that I have one dedicated USB plug in that will power down with
    the PC?
    Thank you,
    kephafan
    I have the same MB and a WD My book, so maybe I can find time to replicate your situation.

However, just to be clear are you talking about auto power down (sleep) or PC shutdown. The former I can see having power to USB, the latter not.

Also isn't WD shutdown a function of the My book, its been a while since I left it running - I normally only use it for manual backups.

Sorry I can't give a definitive answer.

kephafan is offline Junior Member

Britgeezer, thanks for the reply.
    The My Book goes into standby mode even on PC shutdown.
    I will have to check WD shutdown function since you mentioned it. It could be there...
    It would probably be a good idea for mine to not have it running every time the PC is on, too.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kephafan View Post
    the PC?

Thank you,
    kephafan
    No that does not exist, power configuration by individual USB port. At best it would be an all or none of them with or without power. Or at least by an individual USB source within the chipset, which you can see in Device Manager. But I have yet to get that working on my ASRock boards.

I've tried in the UEFI setting Deep Sleep to S5 (normal PC shutdown) which is set to Disabled by default. Believe it or not, the Goodnight LED option is supposed to turn off LEDs on keyboards and mice when it is enabled, how else could that be done besides cutting the power to USB ports, I assume.

I don't have the ASRock App Charger utility installed, and still have power to the USB ports. This is the description about App Charger for our board:

"Simply installing the App Charger driver, it makes your iPhone charge up to 40% faster than before. ASRock App Charger supports continuous charging when your PC enters Standby mode (S1), Suspend to RAM (S3), hibernation mode (S4) or power off (S5). The App Charger technology has been fully applied on ASRock Full series motherboards."

So what is this saying, that the App Charger driver will increase the available power for charging devices, but does not activate power to the USB ports? Sound like that to me.

Then we see that App Charger has continuous charging support in all Standy modes (S1 - S5), and App Charger technology has been fully applied on ASRock Full series motherboards.

So unless there is some specific way to turn off power to USB ports in the UEFI, I'd say it can't be done. My workaround is using an external USB hub device that has a power switch. I found one that has a switch for each port (four ports, four switches), and my guess is the trend in having powered USB ports for charging cell phones (does anyone do that? I don't, and can't with some phones) is the cause for the appearance of these switchable hubs.

As often seems to happen I find myself agreeing with parsec.

I plugged my "My book" into a wall socket and nothing happened, when I connected to USB, the power indicator came on and the power light flashed and then became solid indicating connected. I'm leaving it running (30 mins so far) just to see what happens.

My point is, just like parsec I use a USB multi function splitter with an on/off switch. If I was otherwise concerned to power off the My book I would just unplug it until needed

I don't use the charger feature either, but I can confirm that Goodnight turns off all LED's on my Extreme 6 unit. After I check the My book on my Extreme4 server (24/7), I will move it to my Extreme 6 and see if it shuts down entirely when it looses the USB signal in deep sleep with Goodnight.

Watch this space.

Oops, fell asleep without moving My Book.

So after 24 hours connected to my server, the white light was still on. That I assume means it didn't shutdown, but then I don't expect my server USB ports did either.

Will move My Book to my Extreme6, that's sleeps shortly.

Update:
    Attached the My Book to my sleeping Extreme6, (i.e. connected power and USB) the My book power light came on, but the PC did not wake up.
    When I awakened the PC, the relevant drivers were loaded and connection made.

So for me, its function of "My Book" it does not shutdown even when the USB source does. (I have the latest firmware).

Tonight will confirm.

Britgeezer, given what you've described, my recent very short term experience with a Seagate external HDD that I'm trying to fix (resurrect) for someone, is this:

If you connect its external PSU, it does nothing but once you connect its USB cable to a PC, it comes to life. If that is simply a function of receiving a data signal over the USB (3.0) interface, or the USB power source waking it up, or both, I don't know. Since your My Book turned on when you connected it to a Sleeping PC, it seems that the USB power alone will cause it to become active, since we know the USB ports are powered at all times.

One thing that comes to mind is in the Windows Power Plan, Advanced settings, USB Selective Suspend. I think that is normally enabled, but worth checking.

Don't forget that kephafan said his other PC did not cause his My Book to be powered up when that PC was shutdown. That is why he is asking about this with his new board.

I could swear when this constant USB power feature was first available, on an older board, you had to install a driver or software to activate the constant USB power. Now since this "feature" is considered a must have by all the mobo manufactures, we are stuck with it. But is the powered up USB ports a requirement for waking a PC from Sleep with a mouse or keyboard? I can't recall if my older boards worked that way or not.

I wasn't able to update the nights events until now. With the My Book connected the subject PC didn't go into sleep. Ended up unplugging the USB and then had sleep issues, so had to turn off PC.

Seems like your statement above would be true.

For me its not a problem, I only use an external USB device occasionally for dedicated backups, most of the time if I'm backing up my servers dedicated backup () I use an eSATA multi HD device. My USB keyboard and Mouse don't seem to impact sleep mode so its fingers crossed for me that it stays that way.

I went into power settings (W7) and yes selective suspend was enabled, but also my sleep setting was 30 minutes whereas in the initial overall settings I had set sleep to 20 mins. I also found in sleep the option to allow wake timers - can we assume they really mean timers and not events?

@kephafan, sorry was unable to help, all my PC's (4 + server) use quite new MB's so my challenge was getting them to sleep (wake on LAN for WHS 2011 backup) and go back to sleep.

We're seeing a new trend in this forum, contempt for the App Charger feature. I could swear there is a new thread related to this feature posted in the forum every day lately.

Note to ASRock: Please make App Charger an optional feature in future boards. Even if it is just a simple jumper that is removed to disable it, that will be fine.

What I don't understand is why it has taken so long for people to notice it, unless ASRock is the only manufacture that does not provide a way to disable it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information