Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: asrock z77 extreme4 pci-e slot stopped working after clearing cmos

Default asrock z77 extreme4 pci-e slot stopped working after clearing cmos

i have double issues, but the primary issue is that i can't get my second pci-e x16 slot to go. i'm trying to use a network card that is x8 and so won't fit in x1 slot. i tried sticking a wireless card in that slot which also didn't work, and i shifted the wireless to a x1 slot which did work. i don't normally use wireless, and use infiniband network. (does around 13 gigabit as the other end is x4 pci-e limited, would be more like 15 gigabit if i upgraded the other ends motherboard to something like this with two x8 pci-e slots, but it's socket 1150 for the other end, and it seems expensive to get motherboards with such)

the secondary issue is i can't set memory speed above ddr3-1600 (the option disappeared!) and per clock disappeared too. i was running at ddr3-2133@cas9 before, so i can probably do ddr3-1600@cas7. so the primary issue is really the pci-e slot not working.

the problem started when i tried to reduce the voltage on cpu a little, and it didn't boot repetitively (boot guard didn't seem to kick in) as my cpu was running around 72c at load with all cores on i7-3770 and the fan was getting noisy. so i had to clear cmos.

i was already on the most recent bios, 2.90. and i tried reflashing it, and clearing cmos again, and downgrading it to 2.20. nothing seems to fix it.

Britgeezer is offline Member

Default Re: asrock z77 extreme4 pci-e slot stopped working after clearing cmos

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    So the primary issue is really the pci-e slot not working.

the problem started when i tried to reduce the voltage on cpu a little, and it didn't boot repetitively (boot guard didn't seem to kick in) as my cpu was running around 72c at load with all cores on i7-3770 and the fan was getting noisy. so i had to clear cmos.

i was already on the most recent bios, 2.90. and i tried reflashing it, and clearing cmos again, and downgrading it to 2.20. nothing seems to fix it.
    I have no firm solution, but sometimes flashing BIOS especially reverting to previous versions, can have strange effects.

If you have time please try this strange solution.

Connect clear BIOS jumper.
    Remove battery, go and have a coffee, dinner or sleep (preferred).
    Replace battery, remove jumper.
    Reboot and set to default & then check function of 2nd PCI slot.

Many "dead" or problematic MB's have been corrected with this solution.

Thread Information