Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ASRock Z97 Extreme6, Sleep Issues, and SMBus Controller

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ASRock Z97 Extreme6, Sleep Issues, and SMBus Controller

First, I installed the Realtek network driver, with the Realtek network chip enabled of course. Created the team again, and configure the Realtek to not wake under any circumstances.

Tried Sleep, and it stayed sleeping, so I assume setting the Realtek chip to not wake was the key, at least in my case. The default MS driver did not allow the same configuration.

I don't use Sleep very much, so never really tried to figure out the problem. Plus I was not sure the Realtek driver would allow the teaming of the two chips, but it does. But your info was key, so thanks for that!

Why do I use teaming? Basically because it is wicked cool, and because I can and it works. All it takes is a simple network switch, a Gigabit switch with five ports can be had for ~$25 or less. I use an eight port model so I can have multiple PCs connected to one network cable, works great and is super simple to use, plug and play.

Not the greatest example, but I can have multiple things in the network happening at once with both chips in use:

ASRock Z97 Extreme6, Sleep Issues, and SMBus Controller-team-download-1-png

That's Adaptive Load Balancing in use, one chip is downloading, the other can upload. Is it really faster in actual use? Seems to be subjectively a bit, but to me it's just something I can do for free, and I can use all the extra network cables I have.

schwachs is offline Junior Member

Ok, this is helpful... Question... How did you config the Realtek not to wake under any circumstances?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    First, I installed the Realtek network driver, with the Realtek network chip enabled of course. Created the team again, and configure the Realtek to not wake under any circumstances.

Tried Sleep, and it stayed sleeping, so I assume setting the Realtek chip to not wake was the key, at least in my case. The default MS driver did not allow the same configuration.

I don't use Sleep very much, so never really tried to figure out the problem. Plus I was not sure the Realtek driver would allow the teaming of the two chips, but it does. But your info was key, so thanks for that!

Why do I use teaming? Basically because it is wicked cool, and because I can and it works. All it takes is a simple network switch, a Gigabit switch with five ports can be had for ~$25 or less. I use an eight port model so I can have multiple PCs connected to one network cable, works great and is super simple to use, plug and play.

Not the greatest example, but I can have multiple things in the network happening at once with both chips in use:

ASRock Z97 Extreme6, Sleep Issues, and SMBus Controller-team-download-1-png

That's Adaptive Load Balancing in use, one chip is downloading, the other can upload. Is it really faster in actual use? Seems to be subjectively a bit, but to me it's just something I can do for free, and I can use all the extra network cables I have.

Quote Originally Posted by schwachs View Post
    Ok, this is helpful... Question... How did you config the Realtek not to wake under any circumstances?

Thanks!
    I hope we are thinking about the same thing here, configuring the Realtek network chip to not cause the PC to wake from Sleep or a WOL signal.

In Device Manager for the Realtek chip:

ASRock Z97 Extreme6, Sleep Issues, and SMBus Controller-realtek-config-1-png

There are also two or three option in the Advanced tab related to WOL, but unchecking Allow this device to wake the computer should stop all wake up events from working.

sweet. i will try that! seems a lot better than having to disable it from bios.

Quote Originally Posted by schwachs View Post
    sweet. i will try that! seems a lot better than having to disable it from bios.
    yup... works like a charm... btw, i was able to track this issue down originally by combing thru the event viewer logs and saw some stuff related to the network.

Yes it does work, my Z97 Extreme 6 PC just slept overnight, just like me.

The Intel network chip, when its driver is installed, has similar settings. Are those unchecked too?

I found another thing, a hardware monitoring program (HWiNFO) that I left running, caused the PC to wake immediately. Closed it and the PC stayed asleep. So yet another example of what can wake a PC.

While these things are simple once we figure them out, why do people always blame the board?

It could be said that if someone wants WOL to work, but they can't get the PC to Sleep for WOL to work, then they may have a point. Check the configuration of the network chip first! Or figure out what else is waking the PC.

Just think of all the money you're saving now when you're sleeping!

I will confirm the Intel settings when I get back home later.

Yes it does work, my Z97 Extreme 6 PC just slept overnight, just like me.

The Intel network chip, when its driver is installed, has similar settings. Are those unchecked too?

I found another thing, a hardware monitoring program (HWiNFO) that I left running, caused the PC to wake immediately. Closed it and the PC stayed asleep. So yet another example of what can wake a PC.

While these things are simple once we figure them out, why do people always blame the board?

It could be said that if someone wants WOL to work, but they can't get the PC to Sleep for WOL to work, then they may have a point. Check the configuration of the network chip first! Or figure out what else is waking the PC.

Yup Intel settings also the same. Does this mean something on my network is trying to wake up my machine?

I hope we are thinking about the same thing here, configuring the Realtek network chip to not cause the PC to wake from Sleep or a WOL signal.

In Device Manager for the Realtek chip:

ASRock Z97 Extreme6, Sleep Issues, and SMBus Controller-realtek-config-1-png

There are also two or three option in the Advanced tab related to WOL, but unchecking Allow this device to wake the computer should stop all wake up events from working.

Just signed up to thank you for this post and let you know that this solved my problem with my ASRock Z97 Extreme6/ac. Damn thing wouldn't sleep for more than 10-15 minutes before starting itself back up. I have never used WOL so I am fine just disabling this feature across the board for both NICs. I wonder what kind of data is being sent around my network that could possibly contain wake events, as I never configured any such thing on any device on my network.

Quote Originally Posted by nokster View Post
    Just signed up to thank you for this post and let you know that this solved my problem with my ASRock Z97 Extreme6/ac. Damn thing wouldn't sleep for more than 10-15 minutes before starting itself back up. I have never used WOL so I am fine just disabling this feature across the board for both NICs. I wonder what kind of data is being sent around my network that could possibly contain wake events, as I never configured any such thing on any device on my network.
    Excellent... Glad it helped!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information